Is it a sacrilege to attend a Novus Ordo service?

Is it a sacrilege to attend a Novus Ordo service?

I read at traditio.com/comment/com0503.htm that “The Novus Ordo is not a “mass.” It’s a newly-fabricated Protestant service with a good dollop of Judaism. There is absolutely no “obligation” ever to be attend the Novus Ordo service. In fact, it would be sacrilegious to be present for it.”

Is this true?

[quote=romano]Is this true?
[/quote]

Not even close to true.

– Mark L. Chance.

[quote=romano]Is it a sacrilege to attend a Novus Ordo service?

I read at traditio.com/comment/com0503.htm that “The Novus Ordo is not a “mass.” It’s a newly-fabricated Protestant service with a good dollop of Judaism. There is absolutely no “obligation” ever to be attend the Novus Ordo service. In fact, it would be sacrilegious to be present for it.”

Is this true?
[/quote]

Absolutely not.

Who are you going to believe, a website, or the authority founded by Jesus and guarded by the Holy Spirit?

But it is true that there is no obligation to attend a Novus Ordo Mass becuase you can also attend an indult of the Tridentine Mass (which I do) to fulfill your obligation to go to Mass. Both fulfill the Sunday obligation.

First, while I may have some pastoral concerns about the english translation of current Missale Romanum with regards to the Verba for the Chalice, I still recognize it as fully valid and licit. There is another excellent thread on that particular topic, so I’ll say nothing further than that here.

To this I might add that those who are in Communion with the Roman See may also quite legitimately fufill their Sunday obligation by attending a Mass celebrated in any of other Rites of the Church which are celebrated in communion with the See of Rome. Thus, a Maronite, Melkite, Byzantine, Ambrosian, Mozarabic (those two would require a great deal of travel!) or any other Mass celebrated in unity with the Roman Pontiff (or, for the next few weeks, the rest of the Roman Communion) is a legitimate choice for those who for any reason have issues with the Novus Ordo.

Keep in mind, the Holy Father (peace be to him eternally) has repeatedly encouraged Latin Rite Catholics to visit with their Eastern Rite brothers and sisters and to celebrate with them.

Rob+

It may be a sacrilege for those who are heretics or schismatic…maybe…

[quote=FrRobSST]First, while I may have some pastoral concerns about the english translation of current Missale Romanum with regards to the Verba for the Chalice, I still recognize it as fully valid and licit. There is another excellent thread on that particular topic, so I’ll say nothing further than that here.

To this I might add that those who are in Communion with the Roman See may also quite legitimately fufill their Sunday obligation by attending a Mass celebrated in any of other Rites of the Church which are celebrated in communion with the See of Rome. Thus, a Maronite, Melkite, Byzantine, Ambrosian, Mozarabic (those two would require a great deal of travel!) or any other Mass celebrated in unity with the Roman Pontiff (or, for the next few weeks, the rest of the Roman Communion) is a legitimate choice for those who for any reason have issues with the Novus Ordo.

Keep in mind, the Holy Father (peace be to him eternally) has repeatedly encouraged Latin Rite Catholics to visit with their Eastern Rite brothers and sisters and to celebrate with them.

Rob+
[/quote]

Good point. I totally forgot. I apologize. I shouldn’t have forgotten either because I’ve been meaning to check out a Byzantine parish in my county.

Traditio is a rad trad site, with a specific agenda. Avoid it.

I wonder if those who vote yes will have the guts to reply too.

Then we will truly know those who are not Catholic even though they claim to be one.

As Jesus said in Matthew.

Matthew 7
21: "Not every one who says to me, Lord, Lord,' shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. **22:** On that day many will say to me,Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?‘
23: And then will I declare to them, `I never knew you; depart from me, you evildoers.’

[quote=ByzCath]I wonder if those who vote yes will have the guts to reply too.

Then we will truly know those who are not Catholic even though they claim to be one.

Matthew 7
21: "Not every one who says to me, Lord, Lord,' shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. **22:** On that day many will say to me,Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?‘
23: And then will I declare to them, `I never knew you; depart from me, you evildoers.’
[/quote]

Off the top of my head, the “those who reject you, reject me” verse would also fit in nicely with the above.

[quote=romano]I read at traditio.com/comment/com0503.htm that "The Novus Ordo is not a “mass.”
[/quote]

Please don’t waste your time at that website. The person who runs it, “Father” M.E. Morrison isn’t a real Catholic, and may not even be a priest. The validity of his ordination is highly dubious, and he has done nothing to prove that he is a true priest.

Despite the abundance of liturgies done in a sacrilegous manner, attending a Novus Odro is in no way a sacrilege. Now, it might be considered scandalous to continue to attend some of the worst of the Novus Ordo liturgies in that your regular presence might cause others to think you approve of the antics up front, but unless you actually helped plan and carry out said shenanigans you are in no dangers of committing anything approaching sacrilege.

Though I dont like the NO mass, I still attend from time to time and I am in no way committing a sacrilige. The ones performing it incorrectly (if they indeed are), the Priests themselves are the ones committing the sacrilige, not us sitting in the pews!

"I read at http://www.traditio.com/comment/com0503.htm that “The Novus Ordo is not a “mass.” It’s a newly-fabricated Protestant service with a good dollop of Judaism. There is absolutely no “obligation” ever to be attend the Novus Ordo service. In fact, it would be sacrilegious to be present for it.”

Is this true?"

Good grief Charlie Brown…LOL!

[quote=ByzCath]I wonder if those who vote yes will have the guts to reply too.

Matthew 7
[/quote]

Probably not, since they couldn’t defend their position without declaring themselves sedevacantists.

Of course the Chair of Peter is empty now but once a new pope is elected it will be filled. I offer this comment as a pre-emptive strike against the wise guys who will say the Chair of Peter is vacant since the death of John Paul II.

Where did you hear that nonsense??? at a schismatic website? Look…I always attend a TLM, but I still am a member at the local Cathedral which has the Novus Ordo every Mass…it is very orthodox and I love it…there is nothing wrong with it and it is just fallacious to even say that it is invalid…All Novus Ordo masses are valid…just the same as all TLM are valid…I think you have been talking to some schismatic people.

[quote=romano]Is it a sacrilege to attend a Novus Ordo service?

Is this true?
[/quote]

Thank you for your replies. It does seem to me, however, that what all you good folks are assuming is that “a Pope is a Pope is a Pope”, and that “if it comes out of the Vatican it’s got to be good!”

But isn’t it the case that, historically, this has not always been so?

And isn’t it also the case that it’s perfectly possible to ignore or reject or even be out of resonance with the promptings of the Holy Spirit?

[quote=romano]Thank you for your replies. It does seem to me, however, that what all you good folks are assuming is that “a Pope is a Pope is a Pope”, and that “if it comes out of the Vatican it’s got to be good!”

[/quote]

Not good necessarily, but definetly authoritative. The question is really silly since most Catholics here know that mass (it is not called a service) attendance is a grave obligation. Any attempt to convince others that a valid Catholic Mass is just a service is seriously anti-Catholic.

I’m afraid is is websites like these that may couse people to lump all of us traditionalist into one group. Most of us that got to a TLM are catholics who struggle every day with our faith, who may not like the NO, and strongly prefer the Beauty that is the TLM. However I regularly go to confession at my local parish (NO) and when I miss mass - will go to the NO.

Of course its not a sacrilege. Please do not think all traditionalist are a bunch of sedevacanists that foam at the mouth whenever somebody mentions the NO.

:bowdown: I hear ya…my sentiments exactly

[quote=Adonis33]I’m afraid is is websites like these that may couse people to lump all of us traditionalist into one group. Most of us that got to a TLM are catholics who struggle every day with our faith, who may not like the NO, and strongly prefer the Beauty that is the TLM. However I regularly go to confession at my local parish (NO) and when I miss mass - will go to the NO.

Of course its not a sacrilege. Please do not think all traditionalist are a bunch of sedevacanists that foam at the mouth whenever somebody mentions the NO.
[/quote]

[quote=JKirkLVNV]Traditio is a rad trad site, with a specific agenda. Avoid it.
[/quote]

Besides if you stick around here long enough most of it will be quoted anyway :bounce: :bounce: (Sorry just couldn’t resist)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.