Is It A Sacrilege?

Say someone didn’t know they had a mortal sin on their soul or determined a sin they committed to not be mortal because they didn’t know whether it was mortal or not and they went to Holy Communion. But then the next day they thought about it more and fearfully realized that it was a mortal sin or could be a mortal sin so they did not receive the Eucharist after that until they went to Confession. My question is, was that time that they received the Holy Eucharist before they knew it was mortal a sacrilege? I am in this situation and I am filled with lots of doubt. I have had the sin confessed (and I am still not sure whether it was mortal or not, I just abstained from Communion after I thought of the possibility of the mortal sin just in case then confessed it), but the possibility of having a sacrilege on my soul is haunting me. At the time of confession, I just assumed that it wasn’t a sacrilege because I didn’t think I had any mortal sins on my soul when I received and the Catechism of the Catholic Church teaches one must abstain from Communion if one has a KNOWN mortal sin. I didn’t have any KNOWN mortal sins. Perhaps I am being scrupulous about this all, but I just want peace. Can someone help?
Thanks,
Emily S.:confused:

If I say examine my conscience and am not conscious of having committed a mortal sin or judge that I have not.

And I receive Holy Communion.

That is the reception of Holy Communion by a person judging they have not committed mortal sin. Not Sacrilege.

If I later realize I did have a mortal sin prior to Holy Communion --such does not make my act of Holy Communion as I described above --all of a sudden now --into an act of Sacrilege.

Thank you so much for replying! This definitely eases my conscious. :)
Emily S.

[quote="catholicgirl97, post:1, topic:311589"]
Say someone didn't know they had a mortal sin on their soul or determined a sin they committed to not be mortal because they didn't know whether it was mortal or not and they went to Holy Communion. But then the next day they thought about it more and fearfully realized that it was a mortal sin or could be a mortal sin so they did not receive the Eucharist after that until they went to Confession. peace. Can someone help?
Thanks,
Emily S.:confused:

[/quote]

Hey Emily,
I agree with Bookcat for the most part. But for future reference, because Im sure its a common thing for most of us to be concerned about wheather a sin is mortal (seperation from our relationship with God) or venial (damage to our relationship with God) it is better to make ammends and be reconciled before Holy Communion if your conscience is bothering you. Also, if you are taking care of your relationship with the Lord, then you will be more certain when you have offended His Grace to the unfortunate point of death in Him as opposed to doing something you can pray with Him about regretting and wanting forgiveness for and the strength to avoid in the future.
I know this wasn't your question, but I hope it helps in the future. And if something tempts you ever, ask yourself if you can face confessing that thing. This helps me avoid dangerous things.
God Bless
Michael

[quote="catholicgirl97, post:3, topic:311589"]
Thank you so much for replying! This definitely eases my conscious. :)
Emily S.

[/quote]

[quote="St_Hilary, post:5, topic:311589"]

[/quote]

If you realized later that it wass a moortal sin, you should go to the priest and tell him you went to communion with a mortal sin because if you do not and still have this mortal sin, receivingb communion will mean noothing.

There is notthing to be afraid of, jjust tell the priest whAT YOU TOLD ME AND HE WILL GIVE YOU ABSOLUTION.

gOD BLESS YOU NOW

[quote="St_Hilary, post:6, topic:311589"]
If you realized later that it wass a moortal sin, you should go to the priest and tell him you went to communion with a mortal sin because if you do not and still have this mortal sin, receivingb communion will mean noothing.

There is notthing to be afraid of, jjust tell the priest whAT YOU TOLD ME AND HE WILL GIVE YOU ABSOLUTION.

gOD BLESS YOU NOW

[/quote]

See above.

I appreciate everyone's input. Just to clarify, Bookcat, when you say "See above" are you talking to me or to St Hilary?

[quote="catholicgirl97, post:8, topic:311589"]
I appreciate everyone's input. Just to clarify, Bookcat, when you say "See above" are you talking to me or to St Hilary?

[/quote]

St Hilary

[quote="Bookcat, post:2, topic:311589"]
If I say examine my conscience and am not conscious of having committed a mortal sin or judge that I have not.

And I receive Holy Communion.

That is the reception of Holy Communion by a person judging they have not committed mortal sin. Not Sacrilege.

If I later realize I did have a mortal sin prior to Holy Communion --such does not make my act of Holy Communion as I described above --all of a sudden now --into an act of Sacrilege.

[/quote]

Also to continue....

Lets say that I had been even to confession -- and it was after confession that I realized that I had not remembered that I had committed a mortal sin. But I was intent on confessing any and all such and contrite etc for all such. I then do not need to abstain from receiving the Eucharist --for such would be said to have been absolved indirectly. I just need to confess it in the next confession.

Thanks for clarifying. Also, I just got a message back from Fr. Serpa. He told me that it was not a sacrilege. :D

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.