Is it a sin in Uruguay to smoke marijuana now that it is legal?

Does the catholic church say it is a sin to smoke marijuana in Uruguay now that it is legal?

To smoke pot to get blasted is a sin of gluttony. Smoking pot as a therapeutic aid or in socializing is not.

Excellent question! Here’s the truth. Marijuana is not a sinful plant nor is it somehow evil. Instead, it is mankind’s imprudent use of it that makes using it immoral.

The active ingredient in cannabis sativa is THC. This compound has been proven effective in a variety of uses. Currently they have THC in pill form; however, they are finding a more natural extract from the cannabis plant is more beneficial to the patient.

I do not advocate inhaling or ingesting this plant recreationally. It is quite potent and possibly dangerous if the person is operating machinery.

If used medicinally, a THC extract pill would be preferable and only under doctor supervision.

:thumbsup:

I agree.

And I don’t buy that this can be used socially without an element of gluttony. The common forms in which it is taken even in a social context are specifically targeted to getting the person “high.” For this reason social use of it exists only in a form analogous to hedonistic drinking parties and never in a form analogous to wine being served at dinner.

When in doubt, go to the Catechism of the Catholic Church.

2290 The virtue of temperance disposes us to avoid every kind of excess: the abuse of food, alcohol, tobacco, or medicine. Those incur grave guilt who, by drunkenness or a love of speed, endanger their own and others’ safety on the road, at sea, or in the air.

2291 The use of drugs inflicts very grave damage on human health and life. Their use, except on strictly therapeutic grounds, is a grave offense. Clandestine production of and trafficking in drugs are scandalous practices. They constitute direct co-operation in evil, since they encourage people to practices gravely contrary to the moral law.

I would consider it a sin.

Can’t say I’ve ever met somebody who used pot, but limited it to where they could barely detect its effects (which is how I and healthy adults use alcohol).

So I’d say getting high in Uruguay is about as sinful as getting totally drunk in Uruguay. That’s a yes.

The Carachism is clear but, if it’s legal, do we still considered a drug?

If so, why wouldn’t the same rules apply to all substances? What about caffeine?

Yes, everything that God created was good. However not every good thing is useful in anyways.
St. Paul, in 1Cor. 3:16-17, says that:
“Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?
If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.”

From many teachings it obviously falls in the category of “immorals” but it does not sound smooth to me calling it a sin (in a strict sense, of course), and this is taking us somewhere else, that is every immoral conduct a sin?

Alcohol and cigarettes are legal: does their use/abuse constitute a sin?

Seems the Catechism is pretty darn clear.

The purpose of MJ is to get high
That’s the equivalent of drinking to inebriation. Which, is pretty apparent that it ain’t good.

Getting drunk is a sin (see Noah in Genesis). Getting “High” is the same as getting drunk. Therefore getting “high” is a sin. Alcohol is only permissible to use if one is NOT getting intoxicated. Caffeine does not intoxicate at all and would be an entirely different matter.

The important thing to keep in mind is not whether something is legal or illegal or is a drug or not, but whether it removes the right use of reason. If so, it is sinful.

See Summa Theologiae Second Part of the Second Part, Q 150, Art 1 where St Thomas argues that drunkeness is a mortal sin - the same would apply to getting “high.”

God bless.

IMO the sinfulness of something can’t be determined based on its legality. After all (to use an extreme example) abortion is legal in the US and Canada. Doesn’t make it less sinful.

no! It does not!!!

With alcohol there is a continuum of effects. Even very small quantities have an immediate effect on the brain, usually causing a sensation of ease and comfort. This is not inebriation. As the amount of alcohol is increased, the sense of ease and comfort gradually gives way to loss of judgment and coordination. This is inebriation.

With MJ, the same is true. Very small quantities produce a sense of comfort, and in the case of someone in pain, relief from that pain. As the amount increases, the detrimental effects become more pronounced.

The frequency with which MJ is abused, even if it is higher than with alcohol, does not dictate the sinfulness of use in a particular case, any more than the number of drunks dictates the sinfulness of any single use of alcohol.

Based on what I have been reading so far, according to Catholic teachings, alcohol and cigarettes are NOT sinful, if used responsibly and in moderation. And yet, marijuana, even when LEGAL is ALWAYS a sin. I really don’t understand why, and would appreciate clarification. (I’m sure other members here would appreciate the clarification as well.) I have encountered people who use MJ in small amounts for relaxation & stress reduction, and NOT to get high. They did not seem intoxicated. Your input would be deeply appreciated by someone (me) who simply just doesn’t understand why legal MJ use should always be considered sinful.

If it leads to sin, then yes.

Matthew 15:11 Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man.

Sure, I understand if it leads to sin, it is a sin. But why is MJ use considered sinful in and of itself? Alcohol can and often does lead to sinful behavior, such as fighting/beligerance, and yet responsible, moderate use is considered morally neutral.

What I would like to know is why can alcohol and tobacco use be considered morally neutral whereas marijuana use is considered always sinful in just about all circumstances.

Understanding church teachings is important to one’s avoidance of sin and growth in the faith.

What you have been getting here is various people’s interpretation of Church teaching. As you can see by reading the responses, these interpretations are not all in agreement. Some have cited the Catechism concerning drugs, but the Catechism does not say marijuana is a drug in that sense. No doubt there are many instances where marijuana use is sinful. But drawing a major qualitative line between marijuana and tobacco or alcohol is a mistake.

You are right in saying that consumption of LEGAL marijuana no longer violates the 4th commandment (Honor thy father and mother - ergo all legitimate authority as well).

However, the 5th commandment clearly states “Thou shalt not kill.” Drugs kill. They kill the drug abuser and they also hurt or kill innocent people who are involved with or encounter the drug abuser. (Accidents, violence, family discord, etc.) I belong to a 12 step recovery program. Although my addiction was to alcohol, I see many drug users (especially potheads) who have caused significant and often irreparable harm to themselves and others. I’ve seen little children screaming beside their mother’s casket because she died of drugs. Today I was in court for a civil trial (I’m a lawyer) and there was a criminal case before ours. The judge asked the defendant how he became a heroin addict and the young man started to cry. He said he wasn’t sure, that he’d just started smoking pot and the next thing he knew he was doing heavy drugs. That young man is headed for prison. His wife is dead from drugs, and their baby is in a foster home. Drugs kill. Think about this.

In my past experience, the feelings and associations which arise in the marijuana-impaired mind are rarely wholesome. Not sure how serious of a sin it is, but it remains one nonetheless. Best to avoid it.

I have recently been told by two different priests (retired) in the confessional that smoking marijuana is NOT a mortal sin, only venial. However, that is certainly not a green light to make it a regular part of your lifestyle. I believe marijuana breaks the 5th commandment, and in regular usage can even break the 1st, not to mention it is a gateway to near occasion of sin, especially for inexperienced users. It is definitely a powerful substance and should be respected.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.