Is it a sin not to go to church?

Is it??

Yes.

[quote=Catechism]**2181 **The Sunday Eucharist is the foundation and confirmation of all Christian practice. For this reason the faithful are obliged to participate in the Eucharist on days of obligation, unless excused for a serious reason (for example, illness, the care of infants) or dispensed by their own pastor. Those who deliberately fail in this obligation commit a grave sin.

[/quote]

To miss sunday mass or holy days of obligation, without a good reason is a sin - I think mortal, but I’m not sure.

Catholig

The poll question and OP are different.

I missed that! My mind automatically read “not to” since asking if it is a sin to go to Church is nonsensical. I’m sure it was a typo.

I thought it was a trick question when I saw it worded like that.

What does God say about it? That is the real issue and not what we think or like.

Heb 10:25
25** not forsaking our own assembling together,** as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another; and all the more as you see the day drawing near. :thumbsup:
NASU
I think God would clearly say that willfully not wanting to go to church is a sin.

i ment to put Not in the poll by the way

Is it a sin not to go to church?

Yes. It is a mortal sin to miss Mass.

The 3rd Commandment says “Remember to keep holy the Sabbath day.”

One of the precepts of the Church is “You shall attend Mass on Sundays and on holy days of obligation.”

The reason the sin is mortal is because to miss Mass (without a good reason) is to place something else in your life above God. God is to be first in our lives. When He is not, we are committing a mortal sin.

Are you asking about missing mass on Sunday and Holydays of obligation or not going to church?

Intentionally missing Mass on Sunday and Holydays of obligation without a valid reason is a mortal sin.

Not going to church is not a sin as long as mass is attended on Sunday and Holydays of obligation.

I assumed the OP meant “going to church” was the same thing as “going to Mass.” What do think “going to church” means?

Bad poll , not enough options. Yes, it is ordinarily a sin to miss Mass. Yes, sometimes there is a legitimate reason to miss it.

I go to church for Eucharist Adoration (both public & private) which is not a sin to miss and which is NOT a mass. I go to church for Novenas which is not a sin to miss and which is NOT a mass. II go to church for saying the rosary which is not a sin to miss and which is NOT a mass.

“Going to church” could having many different meanings. Which is why I asked.

But, of course, one is perfectly free to “not go to Mass” from Monday through Saturday, so an even further level of clarification is needed.

I answered no because the question said, “Is it a sin to go to Mass.”

Jim

its a mortal sin to miss mass on sunday or holy days of obligation.

Are you a domer?

BTW: 1. I think most of us are smart enough to figure out that the OP meant Sunday Mass.
2. The 12 who voted “no” are not Catholic, unless they did not understand the question. Remember that a lot of Protestants vote in these polls.
3. This should not even be a poll because it is not a matter of opinion. There is a right answer to the question. Polls are for asking people’s opinions, like “What is your favorite ice cream flavour?”

I voted no because of the wording of the question. It says is it a sin to go to church, i didn’t know if the OP had a grand purpose or not, but it’s not my job to 2nd-guess. Probably better to have voted yes i think now, but what the heck. (And boy what a poor poll ppppp, sorry.) Typos of a major nature, including chruch!

It does raise the interesting question of what kind of participation is required to fulfil your obligation? If you read the newsletter throughout mass or stand in the porch looking at the notices or smoking have you fulfilled your obligation? If you arrive after the Gospel have you fulfilled your obligation?

i said ‘i didn’t know if the OP had a grand purpose’ kangnamdragon. That is true. i now know.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.