Is it a sin to accept the "fun" of sin?

I know my question may sound confusing, but is it a sin to accept the fact that sinning is fun? For example, I used to love drinking and partying etc, and now I don’t do that anymore and I’m very faithful and joyful to have come back to my faith, but there’s always that little thought that comes and goes where I’ll miss those old sinful days, and I know and accept that drinking and all that stuff is fun and was fun? But is it a sin to think like this? I’m not going to be a hypocrite and say that all that is evil and not fun, when I know that it is, and the only thing stopping me from all those things is that I want to obey God and not offend him.

Gen. 3:6 So when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was a delight to the eyes, and that the tree was to be desired to make one wise, she took of its fruit and ate; and she also gave some to her husband, and he ate.

Temptations wouldn’t be temptations if they held no attractions for us. But what was it you really enjoyed? Getting drunk or having fun with friends? What did it do for you that you still long for those times? I think those are the questions you may want to ask yourself. I’d also suggest talking to your confessor or a spiritual director about it. :slight_smile:

Would it still be possible to have a nice time with these “friends”, but not in a drinking atmosphere?

It May have been “fun”, but don’t forget you will have to make up for it in the purifying fires of purgatory, which won’t be “fun”. What you describe is being attached to the sin. Whether or not it’s sinful, as long as you have it, you can’t enter Heaven.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.