Is it a sin to approach the Eucharist when in doubt of the state of ones's soul?

This past Friday I went to my first confession. I then went to the mass that was being held and half way through it I started to question whether I had enough sorrow in my confession. I am sure I did have enough sorrow but at the time I wasn’t sure. I am scrupulous and I considered my fear of not having enough sorrow a scruple, so I received communion anyways. Afterward I asked the priest If I had committed a sin by approaching the sacrament while in doubt of the state of my soul. He said it wasn’t and I went home without much of a worry. Today I listened to a sermon by a priest and he said that you commit mortal sin when you choose to commit a sin when in doubt if it is mortal or venial. The sin that is committed is the sin that you are willing to to take the risk of separating yourself from god. Now I am worried that I committed a mortal sin by receiving while in doubt of the state of my soul. So my question is, is it a sin to receive while in doubt of the state of one’s soul?

No. Unless you are certain you have a mortal sin on your soul (and have fasted the mandatory Eucharistic fast of one hour) than you may receive.

Please don’t torment yourself by being over-scrupulous.
People who suffer with scruples sometimes end up leaving the church because they can’t deal with the distress it causes them.
I’m sure Our Lord doesn’t want that to happen to you.

I am going to find a good confessor that can help me with this. I wont let scruples get between me and God.

About the sin you mentioned, it only becomes mortal if you do something you believe is a mortal sin or is most likely a mortal sin without first looking it up to make sure beforehand.

When I was going through a difficult period many years ago, an elderly kind very holy priest, who is now deceased said the same to me-“Don’t let scruples get between you and God” and I’ve never forgotten those words.

Wishing you peace. :slight_smile:

Trust in God. He sent the priest you confessed to all the grace and authority to forgive your sins. If you’ve done your penance, believe, truly believe, that God has forgiven your sins and that you are/were absolved.

Get a good confessor.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.