Is it a sin to ask for God to kill terrorists?

I’m NOT currently doing this, but the thought just came into my head. Some of these ISIS fighters are really evil people, so would it be a sin to ask for God to kill them?

Why not try asking for victory, whatever that entails.
Likely it entails some deaths, but also hearts and minds.

But in a general sense no, but I think you may be approaching the scenario a bit simplistically.

Agreed. AFerri48 might be one of those ‘all-or-nothing’ thinkers. :stuck_out_tongue:

Do you know the imprecatory prayers in Scripture? They are mostly within the Psalms. They pray for the horrible death of one’s enemies. There are many Christians, and Christian churches, who regularly pray for the deaths of specific people (mostly in our current government, from my experience).

Some of the passages read:

“Let his children be fatherless, and his wife a widow. Let his children wander about and beg; and let them seek sustenance far from their ruined homes” (Ps vv. 9-10)

How blessed will be the one who seizes and dashes your little ones against the rock (Ps. 137:7-9)

Therefore, give their children over to famine, and deliver them up to the power of the sword; and let their wives become childless and widowed. Let their men also be smitten to death, their young men struck down by the sword in battle. (Jer 18: 20)

So obviously there is precedence within Jewish and Christian traditions to pray for the death of our enemies. I have been in Sunday services where the leaders name names and offer these prayers.

I will not. I will never. Ever. Ever.

Most Holy Trinity - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - I adore thee profoundly. I offer Thee the most precious Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of Jesus Christ, present in all the tabernacles of the world, in reparation for the outrages, sacrileges and indifference’s whereby He is offended. And through the infinite merits of His Most Sacred Heart and the Immaculate Heart of Mary, I beg of Thee the conversion of poor sinners.

“Let this prayer be echoed all over the world.” - Mary

2304 Respect for and development of human life require peace. Peace is not merely the absence of war, and it is not limited to maintaining a balance of powers between adversaries. Peace cannot be attained on earth without safeguarding the goods of persons, free communication among men, respect for the dignity of persons and peoples, and the assiduous practice of fraternity. Peace is “the tranquillity of order.” Peace is the work of justice and the effect of charity.

• CCC

Yup.

Do you recall the lines from ‘Fiddler on the Roof?’

‘Rabbi, is there a blessing for the Tzar?’

pause

‘Yes. May the Lord bless and keep the Tzar… far away from us!’

Those Psalms have to be read in their original, historical context and cannot be mindlessly applied to contemporary situations. :banghead:

Some of the passages read:

“Let his children be fatherless, and his wife a widow. Let his children wander about and beg; and let them seek sustenance far from their ruined homes” (Ps 109 vv. 9-10)

As is made clear in the Acts of the Apostles, this is a prophecy that the early Church applied to Judas Iscariot, the betrayer of Our Saviour.

How blessed will be the one who seizes and dashes your little ones against the rock (Ps. 137:7-9)

Written during the Babylonian exile, these words are a prophecy of Cyrus, “the anointed one” and “the servant of God”, who will literally defeat the Babylonian empire and allow the Jews to return from their exile. See Isaiah 40-55.

Therefore, give their children over to famine, and deliver them up to the power of the sword; and let their wives become childless and widowed. Let their men also be smitten to death, their young men struck down by the sword in battle. (Jer 18: 20)

Now this one is a backfire, because the prophecy is against the faithless people of Israel themselves, who are persecuting Jeremiah.

So obviously there is precedence within Jewish and Christian traditions to pray for the death of our enemies. I have been in Sunday services where the leaders name names and offer these prayers.

No, rather, there is Scriptural illiteracy and a lack of understanding about the prophetic and historical significance of these passages and their context.

I will not. I will never. Ever. Ever.

The Church does have Masses for Peace and for Times of War. There is also a devotion to Our Lady of Victory, related to the Battle of Lepanto. However, to “pray that terrorists may be killed” is simplistic. Some of them may perish in their sins; others may repent; others may be tools or victims of coercion rather than willing persecutors. Ultimately, we can ask for victory, but ultimately, His will shall be done. This may include anything from a total temporal or spiritual victory, to a Pyrrhic victory, to even allowing ISIS to punish us for a time for our sins, as the pagan Babylonians and Assyrians did to the faithless Chosen People many centuries ago. :frowning:

As long as you are hoping for a holy death for them, and this only in place of a conversion of heart. Otherwise it is the sin of cursing, which is directly opposed to the precept to love your enemies.

Jesus says to pray for our enemies. Pray for them to die. God is happy because you obeyed his precept, you are happy because ‘‘ask and it will be given to you’’. Thing is ISIS fighters are so indoctrinated and brainwashed, so committed to serving Satan and sowing terror and destruction everywhere, that in most cases, death is the only option to stop them.

Jesus tells us to pray for our enemies, I seriously doubt that He would ask us to pray that bad things happen to them. Remember He gives us the parable of the Good Samaritan. One of the key ingredients in that parable which is widely unknown is that back then Jews and Samaritans hated each other. So this merciful act by the Samaritan and the fact that Jesus is telling the Jews that their neighbors who they are to love are basically the Samaritans really puts things into perspective.

In short I pray for my enemies, including terrorists, I pray that God softens their hearts and brings them to peace and conversion. I pray that no one must endure the pains of hell, and even though I know that some, possibly many, will go to hell, I hope that maybe just maybe my prayers will help even just one person gain the grace to go to heaven.

Far better to pray for their conversion.

Whats the difference between christians wishing terrorists to meet their deaths, and those radical christians who kill abortion doctors?

Its the same line of thinking, yet for the most part, we put up with most people who wish extremely violent deaths on terrorists…??

OT God and NT God same God. I personally am not sure I could get down with the NT without the OT.

Oh and the last book of the NT! Yes yes! How much like His old self God sounds :slight_smile:

Terrorists got to go when we are engaged in combat.

The difference is abortion docs are not exactly engaged in combat. And the lack of quality outcome of killing them etc. TBH if killing them was in anyway useful it would be with a change in laws at which point killing would be needless. Bc then they could be taken to jail instead.

Is there a class I can take on understanding acronyms on the Internet?

Its still the same as fighting terrorism, our military tries to kill as many as they can and thinks this is the answer, how is that any different than radical extremists thinking if they kill enough abortion doctors, something will change?

This is a hard question to answer. I would say that, while yes, we try to kill terrorists, we don’t typically go out looking to kill. We, in Iraq and Afghanistan, are trying to create a stable environment where the people can live in peace and foster relations with the enemy so that they stop their activity.

I’ve spent more time trying to educate or help build educational facilities for these people, including insurgents/terrorists, helping with hospitals and all the nation building type of things than Ive spent shooting at them.

So while yes both the military and abortion doctors kill, I like to think that the intentions are completely different. Furthermore, I take offense at the fact that you equate me and the military as a whole with an abortion doctor and if you really wanna figure out what the military does, try joining or at least doing a fair share of research. I could say the same thing about cops, they carry guns, they have killed people, so obviously they must be like the military and thus like abortion doctors, right?

Pray for their repentance and their turning away from their wicked ways.

This way, all of Heaven rejoices when they repent, we are safe and they are saved.

Everybody wins.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.