Is it a sin to ask for prayers from non-Christians?

Hi everyone. Is it a sin to ask for prayers from non-Christians? :confused: :shrug:

Prayer is a conversation with God. While there are various forms of prayer, ultimately it is talking and listening to God. There is only one God and as long as those who are praying are praying to our one God then how could it possibly be a sin? We would have to be referring to either Jews or Muslims since they are the only two monotheistic faiths that I am aware of. …God Bless…teachccd

Personally I take what I can get from anyone, but this is a distinctly non-Christian perspective, so cum grana salis and all that… :shrug:

I don’t know if it’s a sin, but I would never ask a non-Christian to pray for me. I might be encouraging prayer to false gods. (Like if the person is Hindu, etc.)

I wouldn’t risk it. There are basically three possibilities:

1. The person is praying to a non-existent entity. A waste of the person’s time, and idolatry to boot. Dangerous for the soul of the one praying.
  2. The person is praying to a demon. Again, idolatry, and this is dangerous both to the soul of the person praying and to you, for if he sends the demon in your direction, even with good intentions, the long term result can only be negative.
  3. It is God. However, the person is not a Christian and thus their prayer won’t be in Jesus’ name, and thus won’t be spoken in the full authority of the divine.

The problem is you may not know whether the person is praying to 1 or 2 or 3. You may be encouraging a person to pray to God for you- or you may be encouraging him to pray to a demon. Or a figment of his imagination. Or an actual material idol. No good, in any of these cases but the first. So it’s a somewhat risky business.

It’s definitely a better idea to ask your Christian brothers and sisters to pray for you, or saints in heaven, people we can be sure are effective in their prayers.

I don’t think so, since we have seen the Pope praying with nonChristians.

Hmmm, I never thought of it that way. I certainly would not want to encourage prayer to false gods.

Monotheism is not a criteria for truth.

I’d say, you can ask Christians and Jews to pray for you.
All other religions are directed at an image of a god who has very little with the True Triune God.

At worst you get some demon on your back. Yeah… dont think witchcraft, woodoo and curses are only found in primitive religions in the jungle…

Stick to Jesus… :thumbsup: if you wanna show respect and love for people you dont do it by setting and example of relativism…

Can not we give credit to God for whether or not prayer is directed to Him?? Even the unnamed god in Acts was finally explained as our one true God. I find it best to keep it simple and ask anyone to pray for you and let God take it from there…Be still and know that I am God…teachccd

I would say yes it is. I would not say it’s a sin to ask non-Catholic Christians, however you would not want to encourage someone to sin and pray in a blasphemous manner.

I have a related question. Would it be a sin to ask a Mormon to pray for you? :shrug: :confused:

Yes, but in that case it was non-chirstians praying with a Christian. :smiley:

Yes, because we should never ask pagans to pray for us.

So say someone we know, that we’re certain is not Christian (or Jewish) learns of some struggle/problem you have and offers to pray for you. What do you do/how do you respond?

No, but one should not expect full measure of it’s value as this person would not have received full measure of the Fruits of the Church always available to him.

One outside of the Church and who has received the word will always remain deficient in the graces allotted to the elect.

Andy

This may be a silly take on it but…

I believe that there is only one God who ‘is’ good. He is the only God that would answer a prayer on my behalf for my intentions.

If it were the case that another spirit responded on my behalf for my intentions it would find it’self seeking out the good of my God because that good is the primary and only good I intend to tend too. In other words, a prayer for my intentions is a prayer that seeks good that has only one source.

You say nothing. You don’t be rude, but you don’t go out of your way to ask them.

mormons are pagan?

I was confused by this as well. I suppose they could be considered to be non-Christians but I’ve never heard them classified as Pagan before. But then again, maybe NeoPagan is not the definition that the person quoted (can’t remember the user name off hand) was looking for.

Benadam:

I believe that there is only one God who ‘is’ good. He is the only God that would answer a prayer on my behalf for my intentions.

Yes. But who one chooses to intercede is in some degree of friendship with God as we all are. This is why the wise cultivate the friendship of known saints, the angels and also the new world saints amongst us who are in good standing. Among them there is something that emanates from the beloved of Christ and we are more likely to ask the well known spontaneous request, “Pray for me.” The Blessed Mother stands out as the wisest choice since she is the closest human to Christ and the most loved.

We seek those who’s intercession we hope would receive a good hearing.

Rosary Promises:
1 Whoever shall faithfully serve me by the recitation of the Rosary, shall receive powerful graces. 2. I promise my special protection and the greatest graces to all those who shall recite the Rosary. 3. The Rosary shall be a powerful armor against hell, it will destroy vice, decrease sin, and defeat heresies 4. It will cause virtue and good works to flourish; it will obtain for souls the abundant mercy of God; it will withdraw the hearts of people from the love of the world and its vanities, and will lift them to the desire of eternal things. Oh, that souls would sanctify themselves by this means. 5. The soul which recommends itself to me by the recitation of the Rosary, shall not perish. 6. Whoever shall recite the Rosary devoutly, applying himself to the consideration of its Sacred Mysteries shall never be conquered by misfortune. God will not chastise him in His justice, he shall not perish by an unprovided death; if he be just, he shall remain in the grace of God, and become worthy of eternal life. 7. Whoever shall have a true devotion for the Rosary shall not die without the Sacraments of the Church. 8. Those who are faithful to recite the Rosary shall have during their life and at their death the light of God and the plentitude of His graces; at the moment of death they shall participate in the merits of the Saints in Paradise. 9. I shall deliver from purgatory those who have been devoted to the Rosary. 10. The faithful children of the Rosary shall merit a high degree of glory in Heaven. 11. You shall obtain all you ask of me by the recitation of the Rosary. 12. All those who propagate the Holy Rosary shall be aided by me in their necessities. 13. ** I have obtained from my Divine Son that all the advocates of the Rosary shall have for intercessors the entire celestial court during their life and at the hour of death** 14. All who recite the Rosary are my children, and brothers and sisters of my only Son, Jesus Christ. 15. **Devotion of my Rosary is a great sign of predestination.

(www.theholyrosary.org)

AndyF

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.