Is it a sin to be naked in the privacy of your own home?

This is just a general question of whether or not it is a sin to be naked in the privacy of your own home, by yourself, because it is comfortable and not for sexual gratification.

It is not a sin.

No.
This makes as much sense as thinking it may be a sin while taking a shower. No one can see you in each case, so I don’t see any offense.
But you would have to be sure no one could see you then.

If God meant for us to be naked, we would have been born that way.

ICXC NIKA

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
I think I was just wearing my birthday suit (bare skin) when I was born. :smiley:

I think we’ll wear those to everlasting life, too. I hope so anyways!

ICXC NIKA

No, it isn’t a sin. Guests would probably appreciate being steered away from the chairs you have dedicated to that pasttime, though.

Mathematically speaking, according to the rules of topology, most all of us* are still buck nekkid. According to these mathematical laws, we are not truly inside our clothes, but merely “next to” them.

*possibly excluding people in spacesuits or hermetically sealed bubbles.

Interesting question for a first post.
Hmmmm… :wink:

In a column over 40 years ago Dear Abby advised someone who liked to do housework in the nude not to fry bacon :eek:

No, it is not a sin.

If you like to be naked at night, check that your shades don’t allow silhouettes to show through. I had my shades down but a friend said walking between a light source and the windows made an interesting show outside.

It’s not a sin to be buck naked in public if not for sexual gratification…might be illegal, but not sinful!:smiley:

No.

Sleeping in the nude is not a sin either. It has some practical benefits as well as it allows us to “air out” so to speak. It is a lot more comfortable too, and in my case allows for better circulation as clothing can bind. Just keep a robe near by for when you have to get up.

:D:D:D:p

Who told you that porky, or how did you arrive at that’s its ok to be in the nude say at a Nudist Beach, walk around the house in front of the wife and kids, you could be sexual aroused at a moment’s notice so you have your facts wrong, what happened to Modesty, and not looking lustful at your neighbour etc. as a Catholic you should know this is not Catholic teaching but New Age.

The dialogue between G Eddy and Tabbycat made my day! Thank you both for showing me that the CAF can actually be fun. :thumbsup:

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

The OP specifically said, “…in the privacy of your own home, by yourself…”, so we’re assuming you only take issue with “in public”. Yes, whether you are ethically required to cover yourself in the presence of persons other than your spouse when the purpose is “because it is comfortable” and not in order to allow medical attention or some other reasonable purpose is another question entirely.

CCC 2521 *Purity requires modesty, an integral part of temperance. Modesty protects the intimate center of the person. It means refusing to unveil what should remain hidden. It is ordered to chastity to whose sensitivity it bears witness. It guides how one looks at others and behaves toward them in conformity with the dignity of persons and their solidarity. *

The Catechism does say:
*2524 The forms taken by modesty vary from one culture to another. Everywhere, however, modesty exists as an intuition of the spiritual dignity proper to man. It is born with the awakening consciousness of being a subject. Teaching modesty to children and adolescents means awakening in them respect for the human person.

**2525 **Christian purity requires a purification of the social climate. It requires of the communications media that their presentations show concern for respect and restraint. Purity of heart brings freedom from widespread eroticism and avoids entertainment inclined to voyeurism and illusion. *

It is possible that it requires a great deal less clothing to communicate spiritual dignity in one culture than another. It is charitable for everyone to take the trouble to dress in order to not give scandal to the weakest ones present and to take the most charitable view of the clothing choices of others, when two cultures meet, each one taking care to regard all others as worthy of the spiritual dignity of a human being, regardless of their dress.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.