Is it a sin to be ruthless?

Don’t worry. I am sure you are a truly caring person. On this forum we are only too ready to judge harshly… so much more fun then being Christian. Working hard for what you want is a great drive especially when it is focused on others. I would keep yourself open to others even if it makes you a little vulnerable. Hardness of heart is so comfortable. Seeking to be the best you can is a virtue. I am sure that is what you meant and wish you the very best in your wonderful vocation, for that is what true nursing is.

0 Likes

Oh I think most of us knew what you meant. That’s why a lot suggested a different word for you to use. I mean it was pretty obvious that a truly ruthless person would not be posting on this forum and asking our opinion right? I mean that’s a sign of humility. That’s a sign that you don’t want to do something wrong. Ruthless types are not like that. So no, we still love you just fine.

And I mean I’m sorry I didn’t make that clear in my first answer. I’m sorry it just sounded like I was trying to tell you a ‘what-for’ story instead of being sensitive to your real question. The truth is just that I’m not very competitive myself so I don’t really have good advice about whether it is right or not. I would suspect it is, but there are a lot wiser people here than me. I’d listen to one of them. I’ve got a few on my short-list that I sort of read over whenever I’m feeling particularly clever. I then realize I still have a long way to go. :shrug:

You’re a good guy. Peace.

-Trident

0 Likes

Well. OK.
Proofread your posts in the future for clarity and intent. This happens a lot on CAF, it’s not just you…:wink:
Although I have to say…some of the language in your original post IS aggressive.
Something prompted you to ask the question.
Think back to where you were at emotionally when you asked the question.
Now…what is your REAL question?

God bless you and your vocation, BTW. We need good nurses.

0 Likes

Doing your best is not ruthless however, perceiving others as a constant threat to your goals is harmful and your actions will be guided by that.

If you lost your temper because someone interrupted study time it is one thing. If you are throwing others under the bus and pointing out their flaws to make yourself look good it’s something else. The second example would be ‘ruthless’ behavior.

I would never think that nurisng was a more competitive field than any other. Perhaps getting hired-but that is true of any occupation.

Viewing others as an obstacle rather than partners to a cause is flawed thinking, especially in a career like nursing.

Thinking that just because you have the highest grade makes you a better nurse, is wrong. A truly compassionate person extend compassion to everyone, not just patients.

0 Likes

Sorry about that.

0 Likes

I think you mean “I could not care less…”.

Sorry if that’s pedantic, but it’s a pet peeve of mine. It seems to be a particularly American thing to get this saying wrong.

Anyway, I’m glad to hear we may have had the wrong impression from your first post. But, as pianistclare said, some of the language is of concern. In particular, the idea of “taking down” your competition. If you simply mean that you’re striving to place as high in your class as possible, then that’s great. If you mean that you intend to somehow undermine others in this pursuit, that’s not OK. Of course, your patients health outcomes are optimised by you helping your colleagues to be the best nurses they can be too. Healthcare is (or should be) by nature a collaborative field, not a competitive one.

0 Likes

Sounds like you could care less! :stuck_out_tongue:

0 Likes

Indeed :wink:

0 Likes

Just my two cents: I kind of agree with the other posters. Competitiveness isn’t necessarily bad, though when you reach the point where you ruin others and sort of see everyone as a sort of threat to yourself to be taken down, then something’s wrong.

Personally, I think the only time when one has to be ‘ruthless’ is when one deals with ruthless (in the evil sense) people. :wink:

0 Likes

Stop beating yourself up. Even ruthless people can still be very caring, loving, and generous… just not to their competitors.

But if you just mean you strive for excellence, good for you. Keep doing it. Be the best nurse you can be.

0 Likes

That and the part about taking people out…probably gave people that idea.

0 Likes

How does the Litany of Humility go again? That others may increase and I may decrease. That others may be chosen and I set aside

0 Likes

closed #33
0 Likes

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.