Is it a sin to be sexually aroused and have a temptation to masturbate?

Sometimes I experience arousal (sometimes at random, as is normal for a teenager progressing through adolescence) however a great sexual desire, and urge to masturbate comes over me. The slightest movement triggers some sort of sexual excitement and desire to masturbate however, I refuse to satisfy this desire. As the excitement escalates, I find some sort of pre ejaculatory fluid musters - is this or any part of my experience sinful? Occasionally I find myself subject to nocturnal emissions, with no prompt of lust at all. Sometimes these are accompanied by dreams - in which various temptations/ desires are present yet, as in real life, in the dream I too (subconsciously) appear to refuse such temptations, such as viewing particular websites - which in the dreams I am tempted to do.I disapprove upon every opportunity to lust yet during these dreams or bouts of temptation I feel extremely displeased in myself, and feel as if I have let god down. Have I sinned in any manner through such dreams, or during times of desire.

Temptation is part of being human; even Jesus was tempted.
Our duty as Christians is not to purposefully, willing, or knowingly to do anything to act on those temptations.

You have no control over your unconcious mind so dreams while you are asleep are not sinful.

I don’t think you are the 1st teen to have these temptations. If you succeed in resisting…then there is no sin.

A nocturnal emission is natural every month or so, and if you are asleep is not a sin.

What you describe is more temptation than sin–and it is not a sin to be tempted in itself. Even Jesus was tempted in the desert after his Baptism.

Acting on these impulses or desires, or even “entertaining” them–taking pleasure in the idea–would begin to edge into sin.

One factor I have found when I am tempted is that it is often a sign that I need to be more active in reaching out in healthy ways, building good relationships with those who are in my life.

Temptations to gratify selfish sexual desire which are resisted are acts of virtue, not sins. You are going through the process of becoming a better man, which will make you a fine single person or husband some day.
St Catherine of Sienna was once seized with immense sexual temptations for three days straight. At the end of it, when her mind cleared, she asked Jesus, “Where were you?”, and he responded “I was in your heart, for you did not give in to the temptations.” She then understood and reflected from what had happened that she was more actually more pure as a result of the temptations than if they hadn’t happened at all.

As many have said, if you resist these temptations then there is no sin. I applaud you on being able to resist!

As an aid to help you in the future, it would not be imprudent to mention these temptations in your next confession. While not a sin, you may be able to receive some practical aids from your confessor on how to lessen the frequency of the temptation and continue to resist, but also, and more importantly, receive grace from the sacrament to strengthen you against further temptation.

Keep hanging in! Know that you’re being prayed for!

Thank you very much for the helpful replies, giving me a greater understanding of my experiences and why they happened. However I sometimes feel as if I were a balloon about to burst, and feel as if I simply want to let myself empty myself of excess fluid, a similar feeling to that compared to a full bladder. Such thoughts are irrational, yet possibly being scrupulous, could such feelings being satisfying the temptations, or are these the actual desires themselves, for it appears that my body has other ideas to my mind. I know myself that I will not masturbate, and will look to god to provide me an escape from such temptations (upon many occasions he has) however my body seems to take some sort of satisfaction out of these feelings, and I’m worried as to whether the body’s satisfaction/urge on these desires is in any way sinful, and if it may fulfil such sinful desires.

The body is an excellent servant but a terrible master. Remember that one of the fruits of the Spirit is self-control, and I think this fruit is very evident in your resistance to temptation and perseverance in virtue.

Should you give in, remember that Christ came to forgive repentant sinners, not condemn them. We are rewarded for resisting temptation but rejoiced in for repenting and returning to Christ. So don’t feel disappointed in yourself for experiencing these temptations; rather, rejoice that you recognize how God sustains you through them.

You’re fighting the good fight! Be encouraged, the more battles you win the stronger you will be for Christ. When temptations arise, picture the Holy Face. You will be amazed at how well that works to your defense.

God Bless.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.