Is it a sin to clean up on Sunday if I enjoy it?

I’ve been cleaning up my garage lately since it’s pretty unclean, and I would like to continue doing this today, on Sunday. Is it a sin even though I enjoy cleaning and it’s not a chore for me? And it can also give me alone time to think.

Welcome! You are supposed to avoid servile work. Employment, working for others, working for gain, etc.

2 Likes

So then is working in my house (for myself) fine to do on a Sunday?

Are you going to Mass? Are you also making time to spend with family and/or other spiritual activity?

If you answer Yes to both questions, then I don’t see a problem cleaning for the other part of the day.

2 Likes

Yes, I go to mass and spend time with my family. Cleaning might also include them. Then thank you very much and God bless you!

1 Like

Carry on doing what you do. Er…you can come and clean my garage on a Sunday, if you like. I promise not to pay you! :smile:

2 Likes

Me too! My bedroom is a mess. I’d appreciate if you can come next Sunday. How much do you charge per hour, btw?:joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

‘You will eat the fruit of your labour; blessings and prosperity will be yours.’ (Psalm 128:2).

In short: Clean the room yourself! :grinning:

4 Likes

Some people find cleaning and rearranging to be soothing and contemplative.

If, however, you felt stressed and under the gun to keep checking things off your to-do list because your weeks are so jam packed you don’t get recreation or leisure, then I’d say do yourself a favor and give yourself a day off.

Guess, I don’t have much of a choice, huh?! :rofl::sweat_smile:

1 Like

[quote=“St.Bede, post:10, topic:561603”]
Guess, I don’t have much of a choice, huh?! :rofl::sweat_smile:

‘Go to the ant, thou sluggard; consider her ways, and be wise.’ (Proverbs 6:6)

1 Like

The day is for God. He rested on the seventh day from all his labor. It is a full day of rest, prayer and family time. A day to even study our faith. A day where charitable works of mercy are also given in honor to God. If asking others to help you clean is part of the garage work—then that could be work for others. If it is heavy work, then its work. When people use their loud leaf blowers on Sunday…that takes away from the day. Playing very loud music so your neighbors hear it is pretty disrespectful of others on Sunday. Doing heavy farm work on Sunday so all your neighbors hear the large farm equipment and see the scandal of your labor is not helping to keep the sabath.

2 Likes

Yes, thy majesty. I shall do so.:smile:

1 Like

Careful…there is only one majesty…and it ain’t me!..but clean your room anyway :smiley:

PS: Don’t worry…I realise the ‘majesty’ was a tease.

1 Like

We live in a 24/7 world.
While it is ideal to stay away from much of what you right, in most cases it is not possible.
Work is required, even on Sunday in many areas of society. Even the church understands that.

1 Like

The point of the Sabbath rule was to make sure workers took time out for God and family in a world where most people were expected to work 24/7 every day, or at least every day during the non-snowy-winter months in some areas.
It wasn’t to make us all stress out about whether me cleaning the cat box or cleaning up the yard is violating the Sabbath.

6 Likes

Once I brought this up in confession and the priest said that if someone has been behind the desk all week, sometimes a good day of working in the garden could be “just what the doctor ordered”.

Another thing I sometimes run into is that I have to interrupt my Saturday if I need to read at the Sat. evening Mass, so I may need to shift some of those chores to Sunday.

1 Like

Ask Father to be sure.I

Can you come to my house?

I’m guessing you’re not a farmer.

Also, you’re presuming the neighbors are Christian and share your views.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.