Is it a sin to convert to Islam?

Hi

I am an Ahmadi a peaceful Muslim. I think the last words of Jesus, My God ,My God, why have you forsaken me, seems to me being very close to what a Muslim would say rather than what a Catholic would say.

So a Muslim believes the same God whom Jesus called in tribulations on the Cross; and we won’t insist the Catholic to believe in the same God, except that they do it with their free will.

Thanks

Hi rciadan,

I think you’re being insensitive to poor people. Suppose you could not feed your children because you were poor. Would you steal to feed your children? I would.

Hi Michael,

I think you’re being insensitive to people who live in oppression. Suppose one of your loved ones were kidnapped and oppressed, I wouldn’t tell them to speak out and die. I would tell them to shut up, submit, and hope for the best.

But, if you are so sure you are willing to die for your faith, then maybe I should start addressing you as St Michael.

If you beleive that Jesus Christ is God, then it is a sin to convert to Islam as you would be denying this. Simply put, you are saying that I do not care if Jesus is God, I will not worship him.

Please do not substitute similarity for sameness. Just because Muslims are monotheistic and worship the One True God does not mean that Islam is the SAME as Christianity. It is like saying that cornmeal can be substituted for flower and the cake will be the same.

There is no such thing as a peaceful Muslim. You who do not follow the Koran to the fullest are and infidel, just like Chiristians. It is written in the Koran that you, as a Muslim, must try to convert people to your faith or they must die. That is what your prophet says. I have read many books buy Muslim converts to Christianity and they have all said that, a muslim who does not bring the sword is an infidel. That is why many muslims die by the hands of their own brothers.

Hi

Kindly quote such verses from Quran. You would find none, for sure, but you are welcome.

Thanks

Hi

But since Jesus in no god, in my opinion, so there is no basic contradiction in a **follower of Jesus **and a follower of Muhammad.

Thanks

There are several issues going on in this thread at the same time…converting to Islam, the poor stealing, the oppressed being quite and submitting to their oppressor, denying one’s God to prolong one’s life. So many issues and all falling away from scripture and the basis of the christian faith.

I

think you’re being insensitive to people who live in oppression. Suppose one of your loved ones were kidnapped and oppressed, I wouldn’t tell them to speak out and die. I would tell them to shut up, submit, and hope for the best.

But, if you are so sure you are willing to die for your faith, then maybe I should start addressing you as St Michael.

It takes a strong person and an extremely strong faith to die for that faith. I understand how someone could fold under the pressure and the fear of torture and loss of life under extreme circumstances, but if one’s faith is unfaltering, one will not deny his God. Matt: 10:26…“And do not be afraid of those that kill the body but cannot kill the soul; rather, be afraid of the one that can destroy both soul and body in Gehenna.”

But since Jesus in no god, in my opinion, so there is no basic contradiction in a follower of Jesus and a follower of Muhammad

In your opinion, paarsurrey, Jesus is no God, but in the christian faith, Jesus is God. He is the Son of a Triune God, the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. That is our belief, and our scripture and our whole faith lies in the Resurrection of the Son of God. To deny Him is to deny one’s faith. John 5:22…“Nor does the Father judge anyone, but he has given all judgement to his Son, so that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. Whoever does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent him.”

I think you’re being insensitive to poor people. Suppose you could not feed your children because you were poor. Would you steal to feed your children? I would.

I think this generalized statement is insensitive to the poor, to think that because of their being poor, it is okay to endorse the sin of stealing. Stealing is wrong. It is an “in your face truth.” It is a sin against the 7th Commandment - “You Shall Not Steal.” There are always extenuating circumstances that may make it necessary to take something not belonging to oneself, but I believe these times to be rare, at least in this country. The US has so many programs of assistance, and then there is always the church one can turn to for help. To steal is rarely necessary in this great nation. There is always work to be had, not matter how lowly one might feel about performing a specific task, when it comes to feeding your children. There is no work I would turn down to make sure my children were fed.

I

am an Ahmadi a peaceful Muslim. I think the last words of Jesus, My God ,My God, why have you forsaken me, seems to me being very close to what a Muslim would say rather than what a Catholic would say.

So a Muslim believes the same God whom Jesus called in tribulations on the Cross; and we won’t insist the Catholic to believe in the same God, except that they do it with their free will.

Ours is not the same God. We christians believe in a single God made up of three divinities, the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. If your one God was the same as our one part of the Triune God, the Father, then we would have something in common, as would the jewish people. We would all be worshiping the same God…the Father, but this is not the case.

I am glad you are a peaceful muslim, for I am a peaceful christian. It is good that we can come together and talk, discuss our differences, and respect each other’s faith, and that is the way it should be if we want to live in peace. Unfortunately, many of the Islamic faith have been hyjacted by hatred and have vowed to murder innocents in the name of Allah. This kind of hatred is nothing new and has gone on for milennia. People take their faith and twist it into something it is not, a tool to be used against others they wish to conquer or kill because of a difference of opinion or belief. Even with all of this religious hatred and killings over religion, more people have sufferred death and torture by atheists than those killed in the name of religion.

May we all continue to grow in our faith and learn tolerance for each other. God bless.

And that, my friend, is the issue at hand. In order to be a Muslim, you must deny that Christ is God. There it is. In this case, one side or the other has to be wrong. Now, if Christians are wrong, it is no sin to convert. If Muslims are wrong, it is.

Someone needs to inform Hamba2han that Christians worship kneeling, bowing, and falling prostrate on the floor…just like in those diagrams.

So, would a Muslim consider it a sin for a fellow Muslim to convert to Catholicism?

Sura 5:51 says, “Believers(muslims), take not Jews and Christians for your friends. They are but friends and protectors to each other.” Does that sound peaceful?

Sura 5:33 says, “for those who do not submit to Allah their punishment is…execution or crucifixtion, or cutting off of hands and feet…” Does that sound peaceful?

Sura 9:5 commands Muslims to "fight the Pagans wherever ye find them, seize them, beleaguer them and lie in wait for them in every stratagem (of war). Does that sound peacful?

Dawah means persuasion and reasoning. It is said to use that to speard peace. But when that fails, it is the job of Muslims to IMPOSE Islam on the infidel through HARB and QITAL, which means war, killing and slaughter.

Those are translations to that are in the Koran/Quarn how ever you spell it.

There is another word that comes to mind. Taqiyya which means lying and deception. Sounds like what a lot of Islamic country leaders do to make themselves seem friendly. Like the guy who is running Iran right now. We all know he wants to wipe western civilization off of the map. But yet he says he is friendly. Yeah right. CAIR is another Islamic Org. who uses Taqiyya to hide who they really are and what they do.

I know you are going to tell me that I am wrong, but thats okay. If you are not apart of the Jihad against the infidels, then you are an infidel also, and you will suffer the same fate as the rest of us Christians. It is a fact.

If a Muslims converts to Christianity, regardless if it is Catholic, he/she will surely die and be hated like the rest of us. To Muslims there is no other way.

Converting away from Catholicism in general (even to another denomination) is a sin period. It is rejecting the real presence of Jesus in favor of man-made things.

Sure, other denominations/sects/religions worship God, but Catholics worship God HIS WAY. The way He gave us.

So, rejecting the teachings of Jesus Christ held in the deposit of faith in the Catholic church in favor of another Christian denomination is a sin. Outright rejecting that Jesus Christ is God and converting to another religion, is a grave sin.

Finally, on the topic of Islam. I think hamba and Paarsurrey would agree that Islam clearly teaches that Jesus Christ is not to be regarded as God himself, because he was merely a prophet. This is a fundamental difference and is the reason why there will never be peace between Christians and Islamic countries.

So what happens “if” that person converts to Islam?
He is “still” part of the church until death? (if he was baptised)
Am I reading your post right?

If you are a Christian, it is a sin to convert to Islam.
I read all the post, and the one thing and most important reason why it is a sin, and I am amazed that no one even brought this up, for which I believe is the greatest injustice to our Lord by not just denying Him, but denying His passion and death on the Cross.
You are basically telling Jesus, who came into this world for the sole purpose to suffer and die for our sins, that what He did has no meaning and is thus irrelevant to my spiritual well being.
The Cross was Satan’s defeat, so why would he not try to persuade as many as he can that it did not happen. Think about it.

The Church has never infallibly declared that Islam has the same god that we worship, and I cannot see how he possibly could be the same god as our God. I believe he is either a pre-Islamic lunar deity raised to monotheistic status. Our God is the Trinity of Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, a divine One. Their god, in there Koran, seems to act more like some heathen deity than an almighty mono-God. I don’t know, this is my opinion.

Hi

I don’t agree with your expression " This is a fundamental difference and is the reason why there will never be peace between Christians and Islamic countries". We Muslims do believe that we don’t have any differences with Jesus and Mary, we love them and their concepts and their acts. Though the Catholics have differences with Jesus and Mary in concepts and acts, only because of Paul, yet we believe that these differnces could be and must be removed by peaceful dialogue, respecting one another’s standpoints by reasonable, rational and logical arguments. We are very close to each other ,we love each other and also due to proximity in the present age, this would be achieved.

Thanks

My friend, you have just stated here in a very underhanded way the we are wrong, and that we must change what we as Christians believe for there to be peace. It is honorable that you are advocating this through peaceful means, but it still remains that you are demanding that we surrender our beliefs to those given by Muhammad.

THIS IS A FUNDAMENTAL DIFFERENCE, no matter which way you cut it.

Does Islam NOT teach that Jesus is not to be regarded as God, that he was solely a prophet?

Yes, or no?

My friend, this is not respect, this is patronizing. I could much say that you must surrender you beliefs and accept Jesus Christ as your personal Lord and Saviour, as the second person of the blessed trinity, for us to co-exist peacefully.

-revelations

You are absolutely correct. What Paarsurrey is doing is telling us that we (christians) must give up our ways and submit to Islam. That is what Islam means, to submit.

I’d say it’s a sin. But only God judges the person’s fault for the sin. Who knows if he or she was forced. Maybe something terrible happened in the Church to them and so on.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.