Is it a sin to enter a tournament?

Ok this is just a quick question, one of my favourite youtubers are doing a tournament on a video game in which I could have a chance of competing in, as far as I know there is no prize for winning just for the shear fun of just playing a video game.
Just a quick question as I was just wondering whether I should enter it or not.

What sin do you think you would be committing by participating in a tournament? :confused:

^This.

OP, not everything is a sin. Have fun in your tourney!

:thumbsup:

yes I agree, enjoy… don’t be paranoid. You are a human being.:smiley:

Is this a "fight to the death" tournament? If so, maybe reconsider. If not, why are you asking?

Supposedly, we are all sinners, and I believe that anything we intentionally do that distracts us from God can be considered to be a sin. But, again, we all do it! I would suggest not doing anything a devout hermit would not do. Make it a religious sacrifice!

Are you really competitive and a sore loser?
Do you get really upset and annoyed with other players that might be beating you?
Do you bang your fist on things, throw things when the game doesn't go your way?
Do you use bad language?
Those are things to take to confession.

Have fun, and be gracious with others!

That’s a bit extreme don’t you think?

a devout hermit would not be posting on the internet.

[quote="Fairwinds, post:9, topic:326656"]
a devout hermit would not be posting on the internet.

[/quote]

This is true, and I must admit that I'm a wretched sinner, but one who is always trying to improve oneself..

It's odd though: When I post on CAF I engage one part of my mind on the task, but there's another part of my mind that is free and focused on God!

[quote="Robert_Sock, post:10, topic:326656"]
This is true, and I must admit that I'm a wretched sinner, but one who is always trying to improve oneself..

It's odd though: When I post on CAF I engage one part of my mind on the task, but there's another part of my mind that is free and focused on God!

[/quote]

Just because you aren't a hermit doesn't mean you are a wretched sinner. Sure, we all sin, but not everyone can be a hermit.

[quote="KendraDZ1902, post:11, topic:326656"]
Just because you aren't a hermit doesn't mean you are a wretched sinner. Sure, we all sin, but not everyone can be a hermit.

[/quote]

This is true, but we can use hermits as a role model.

Robert, do you realize that what you are saying conflicts with the Sacrament of Marriage? Think about it.

Blackspur, I think it depends on your motives. If you are doing it for fun, and to test how good you are at the game, then I see nothing wrong with it.

The things to watch out for are the desire to beat others (as opposed to just the desire to win), to feel superior to them, or to have something to brag about. That would indicate the wrong kind of pride.

If the games tempt you to feeling violent, or to think badly of women, you probably shouldn't play them.

I'm not saying you will be tempted, or spiritually damaged, by the games. I'm pretty fond of the Bard's Tale, and his morals are none too good. And I also like Diablo I and II, and about all you do there is kill the bad guys. (I haven't tried III yet.) But I recognize them as fantasy, and thus don't let them affect my morals. Most of the time, I play Hidden Object games, and most of them involve ghosts, witches, and vampires. Nope, still not affected. I even read the Harry Potter books repeatedly, and guess what? I haven't become a satanist. :rolleyes:

Remember that Paul preached using images from sports. Getting to Heaven, after all, is winning the battle against sin!

Good luck! :thumbsup:

[quote="Ruthie_again, post:13, topic:326656"]
...The things to watch out for are the desire to beat others (as opposed to just the desire to win), to feel superior to them, or to have something to brag about. That would indicate the wrong kind of pride....

[/quote]

that seems like an odd thing to me. after all, its just a game. but within that game, I don't think I've ever seen blue chip competitors who didn't have a killer instinct, to crush the opposition, mentally destroy them, and win bragging rights.

All I’m saying is that we should strive to emulate hermits. This is true for married people, as well as those who are single.

The OP has serious scrupulosity issues and needs to talk to his PRIEST to help him combat these irrational thoughts.

[quote="Ruthie_again, post:13, topic:326656"]
Robert, do you realize that what you are saying conflicts with the Sacrament of Marriage? Think about it.

Blackspur, I think it depends on your motives. If you are doing it for fun, and to test how good you are at the game, then I see nothing wrong with it.

The things to watch out for are the desire to beat others (as opposed to just the desire to win), to feel superior to them, or to have something to brag about. That would indicate the wrong kind of pride.

If the games tempt you to feeling violent, or to think badly of women, you probably shouldn't play them.

I'm not saying you will be tempted, or spiritually damaged, by the games. I'm pretty fond of the Bard's Tale, and his morals are none too good. And I also like Diablo I and II, and about all you do there is kill the bad guys. (I haven't tried III yet.) But I recognize them as fantasy, and thus don't let them affect my morals. Most of the time, I play Hidden Object games, and most of them involve ghosts, witches, and vampires. Nope, still not affected. I even read the Harry Potter books repeatedly, and guess what? I haven't become a satanist. :rolleyes:

Remember that Paul preached using images from sports. Getting to Heaven, after all, is winning the battle against sin!

Good luck! :thumbsup:

[/quote]

I am entering the tournament for a laugh in all honestly as the game I will be playing I have very little experience in so I feel it would be quite fun to see how far a novice (me) could perhaps make it, I am playing predominately to play in a game and to have the chance of playing with one of my favourite internet entertainers, it would be a lie to say If i was to win I wouldn't be happy but my main reason for getting into this tournament is to see how far I could get in the tournament and to perhaps have my favourite youtuber commentate over the game in which I would be able to meet and perhaps even compete against him and generally have a laugh, and it would be great if I could even make it into one of his videos as he will be uploading each round.
After gaming for several years I feel they have never made me want to be violent to people or see anyone in a unfavorable light in the real world, as like you I realise it is just a game and isn't reality and if it affects me in real life then something has to change.

So as I have just answered to you, is this sinning as I am confused many people have said it was fine if the motives are ok, but after what Robert said I am not sure what excatly he meant by that, am I doing something wrong, forgive me as I am only 16 and I do not understand the technicality of some of the terms on here, so if you could respond it would be greatly appreciated.

[quote="KendraDZ1902, post:11, topic:326656"]

[/quote]

Even hermits are wretched sinners!

[quote="Blackspur7, post:17, topic:326656"]

So as I have just answered to you, is this sinning as I am confused many people have said it was fine if the motives are ok, but after what Robert said I am not sure what excatly he meant by that, am I doing something wrong, forgive me as I am only 16 and I do not understand the technicality of some of the terms on here, so if you could respond it would be greatly appreciated.

[/quote]

I do not know how I can be more plain:

You need to speak to your pastor REGULARLY about how to properly form your conscience. You have a very distorted view of sin and what is sinful. You need regular spiritual direction when you start to obsess over these sorts of thoughts.

[quote="Blackspur7, post:1, topic:326656"]
Ok this is just a quick question, one of my favourite youtubers are doing a tournament on a video game in which I could have a chance of competing in, as far as I know there is no prize for winning just for the shear fun of just playing a video game.
Just a quick question as I was just wondering whether I should enter it or not.

[/quote]

Don't worry about it. It isn't a sin. Even if there was gambling involved it wouldn't be a sin unless you were putting your livelihood at stake. Catholics are not Puritans :)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.