Is it a sin to entertain thoughts of the end of a papacy?

Clearly, Pope Francis is causing much consternation and confusion among the faithful. Is it a sin to deliberately entertain thoughts or give affirmation to the end of his papacy?

To be clear, I do not mean to hope for the man’s death, which is clearly a grave sin. But is it a sin to hope he follows Benedict’s lead and retire?

Your post itself is sinful, because it maligns the Vicar of Jesus Christ and accuses him of “causing consternation and confusion among the faithful.” His Holiness Pope Francis is doing nothing of the sort. Anyone who feels consternation and confusion with regard to the Holy Father needs to figure out what in their own life is causing them these rebellious thoughts. Discussing it with your parish priest is probably a good starting place.

Pray instead for the Pope, the Bishops, and the Church as a whole, that it will always do God’s will.

Saint Michael the archangel, defend us in battle…

I can only conclude you believe the four cardinals committed a serious sin when they wrote the dubia.

It is not the place of the laity to interject themselves into a perceived dispute among cardinals and the Holy Father. Rather, as Wesrock said, we should pray for God to guide the leaders of the Holy Roman Catholic Church.

It is best not to ponder over certain thoughts. Those thoughts may be sinful and could lead to even worse sins. Pray for the Pope as he leads the church.

What I pray for is for him not to teach error.

Given the circumstances, I personally don’t think it’s sinful.

I think one can just pray that Pope Francis do the will of God and remain a faithful Vicar of Christ, without evaluating ourselves what is or is not God’s will or whether Pope Francis is or is not doing good.

But yes, things are…confusing…at the moment.

Lord,
make Pope Francis an instrument of your peace. Where there is hatred, let him sow love. Where there is injury, pardon. Where there is doubt, faith. Where there is despair, hope. Where there is darkness, light. Where there is sadness, joy.

O Divine Master
grant that he may not so much seek to be consoled as to console; to be understood as to understand; to be loved as to love. For it is in giving that he receives; it is in pardoning that he is pardoned; and it is in dying that he is born to eternal life.

Amen

There are many who have no confusion.

I don’t know if it’s a sin, but it doesn’t solve anything. The questions don’t go away.

Catholics are not obliged to believe that Popes are without sin. We are also not obliged to agree with and applaud every action and utterance of the sitting Pope. There were things that St. John Paul II and Benedict did that I disagree with…that doesn’t make me a bad Catholic. Questioning the authentic magisterium of the sitting Pope or deliberately disobeying a directive he has bound the faithful to by virtue of ecclesiastical law would be sinful. I don’t see that in the OP’s post.

Oh fantastic, another Pope-bashing thread. Just waiting for the apostate circus to hop on and keep kicking. Don’t ever change, CAF. :smiley:

No one on this thread has even remotely approached the sin of apostasy.

My thoughts exactly, mon ami. I would like to remind the posters on here at that are complaining about Pope Francis that Benedict Was much despised by certain factions of the Church, too. You may remember when Pope Benedict’s comments were taken out of context about condoms, so at least it is not unique to Pope Francis. I know based on some of Pope Francis’s own comments that he may retire sometime. I also think it wise to read documents in their original languages if you are able to.

OP accused the Pope of causing confusion and consternation among the faithful. That is a terrible accusation to make against the Holy Father, and absent an extreme situation like Paul and Peter, is sinful. Paul was an apostle so a layperson on the internet should not be trying to imitate Paul in how they speak of the Vicar of Jesus Christ.

Catholics need to show a lot more reverence for the Holy Father than all these self-proclaimed “more Catholic than the Pope” internet warriors are.

Check out the other Pope-related threads for examples. They’ll come here too. :smiley:

I think I would pray to God instead for trust in his ability to lead the Catholic Church through the successor of Peter.

Mary.

This is what the Catholic Church is about. This is how it was setup.

From vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p123a9p4.htm882

881 The Pope, Bishop of Rome and Peter’s successor, "is the perpetual and visible source and foundation of the unity both of the bishops and of the whole company of the faithful."402 "For the Roman Pontiff, by reason of his office as Vicar of Christ, and as pastor of the entire Church has full, supreme, and universal power over the whole Church, a power which he can always exercise unhindered."403
883 “The college or body of bishops has no authority unless united with the Roman Pontiff, Peter’s successor, as its head.” As such, this college has "supreme and full authority over the universal Church; but this power cannot be exercised without the agreement of the Roman Pontiff."404

Its not a democracy.
Pappa Francis has full supreme, and universal power over the whole church. We are the body of the church.

Imagine if Jesus Christ had said, nope I dont agree with what is asked of me. Isnt His obedience the ultimate in faith and obedience. We pray to imitate Jesus.

Who, having lived before, during , or after, is better then that , or willing to undergo that for the love of humanity.

Think about that meamaximaculpa.
Its not like wishing the end of a tyrannical and abusive reign.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.