Is it a sin to flirt with guys?

I have an account on Instagram. If you are not familiar with it, its where you post pics and you have followers. You can talk to your followers directly which i sometimes do. I get a lot of attention from guys because of my pics. So i like to flirt with these guys sometimes, and they say i tease them. I guess i like to tease them a little. Just wondering if what i am doing is wrong or a sin? I mean im not doing anything physical. Im just talking to them. I dont know, i have been just thinking about this? Thank you for answers.:wink:

Hi!

I would say it would depend on the nature and content of your flirtatious messages AND your pictures. From the Catechism:

2284 Scandal is an attitude or behavior which leads another to do evil. The person who gives scandal becomes his neighbor’s tempter. He damages virtue and integrity; he may even draw his brother into spiritual death.

From the Bible: Mathew 5:27-28 27 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’ 28 But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart."

Are you giving your followers cause to think impure thoughts about you? You may need to think about this a little bit. If you’re saying things like “Oh, your cute and funny,” that is probably okay; if no one ever flirted, there would be far fewer holy marriages!

If, however, you are being more suggestive, that may be a problem.

Hope this helps!

Well to be honest the flirting is more than just i think your cute and funny. I dont think my pics are that bad. So your saying that im tempting guys? How is it my fault they think a certain way when they see my pics?

Well to be honest the flirting is more than just i think your cute and funny. I dont think my pics are that bad. How is it my fault what guys think when they see my pics??

I haven’t seen your pictures, so I can’t comment on that part, so let’s just stick with the messages. Of course it is the guy’s responsibility to guard his own thoughts, but a lot of guys are bad at that and we need all the help we can get!

It is a sin to cause someone else to sin in thought or deed, and thoughts are expressed in words and, sometimes, Instagram messages. I’m not saying what you say or post is wrong, or a sin necessarily, I’m just providing information from Catholic teachings. :slight_smile:

It may or may not be. It depends what you mean. Consult a confessor if you are unsure.

Are the pictures provocative (suggestive poses, low cut/short/ immodest clothing, any other thing you would be doing to be provocative)? If so, you shouldn’t post them
Are the comments suggestive? Sexual innuendo? etc. That wouldn’t be ok either
Are you posting things to cause a rise in guys? That wouldn’t be ok either

If you are trying to get attention from guys through provocative pictures, then yeah, you should stop, and yeah, it does matter if it causes other guys to lust over you, you should talk with a confessor about this.
If you are posting pictures of you modestly dressed etc, and guys are just finding you attractive, that is ok, but you shouldn’t encourage impure conversations, if that is what you mean by flirting in a not “just i think your cute and funny” way. We have to help as many people as we can make it to heaven, if your pictures and conversations could lead people in the opposite direction, then you know it is not good.

Men flirt with women everyday whether its wanted or not as long as your pics are modest it should be ok unless the men are saying sexual comments

You must be young youll see later in life even after your married men will still flirt with you its annoying and angering but some people cannot help themselves

But you have a responsibility as a catholic to avoid leading others into sin i know we cant control anothers thoughts but maybe avoid instagram for a while? At least until you ask a confessor

My confessor advised me to wear aprons over my clothes im in mexico so women wear cobber aprons here and it worked men started leaving me alone it might just be adjusting your modesty level

Ask your priest they can guide you into the right direction

Now you know how women feel about simply going outside.

Well then if you don’t commit the sin of posting such pictures you avoid the flirting problem entirely.

I guess they are provacative. I do get suggestive comments. & yes to everything else.
I guess i just see it as innocent fun?

It sounds pretty innocent to me if that’s all you are doing. But don’t lead anyone on by making them think you want more.

So, what im doing is a sin?

Thank u… Ya that is all. what do you mean by making them think i want more?

Hi! Unfortunately there are a lot of things that can start out as innocent fun and then go on to become serious problems. It’s hard for us to say precisely that yes, what you’re doing is a sin, because sins can be tricky to pin down. There must have been something in your conscience that gave you the idea that it might be sinful, and that’s great, because now you’ve learned a little, maybe, and if you’re still bothered by the feeling of doing wrong, a visit to reconciliation would be a nice idea. :slight_smile:

Let’s see, you’re posting immodest pictures of yourself with the intention of creating lustful thoughts in others…

Hi! Thanks for your help. I have learned a lot. It kinda bothered me a little. I’m just thinking what I should do now? I don’t
Really wanna talk to someone in the church about this, it’s
Kinda embarrassing. I guess I will just avoid instagram for a while.
Thanks again :wink:

Ok I see your point.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.