Is it a sin to go out to a night club on Easter Sunday?

Is this sinful?

Why would you? Don't such places tend to get one into a worldly, sensual mindset? I picture an atmosphere of loud music with a heavy beat, hard drinks, immodestly dressed individuals, and immodest dancing. I question whether a Christian should ever set foot in such a place, let alone the holiest day of the year, but I suppose ultimately it would depend on the person and on the night club. Maybe the litmus test, "Is this somewhere you would be comfortable inviting our Lord?" applies here.

cf. CCC 2193 "On Sundays and other holy days of obligation the faithful are bound . . . to abstain from those labors and business concerns which impede the worship to be rendered to God, the joy which is proper to the Lord's Day, or the proper relaxation of mind and body" (CIC, can. 1247).

You've got the relaxation part down. Not sure about the rest.

[quote="EIRE1994, post:1, topic:320871"]
Is this sinful?

[/quote]

I don't know about it being a sin any more than going to a sporting event. But I would say it is in horrible taste. Personally, I reserve all Sundays and Holy days to Mass, works of charity, family gatherings, and some kind of spiritual reading and some quiet passtime like what I am doing right now. Linus2nd

I would say it is, but that depends on the "night club". Is there drinking, people dancing immodestly, and doing sinful things? If the answer is yes, than it probably is sinful. If it is a social club where you and your friends just hang out, then it's not sinful.

I kinda agree with the above post, it's the holiest day of the year, it might not be a good idea to do that.

Not if you are going there to evangelize the crowd and spread the good news of the resurrection.

Hi Eire,

I don’t think it’s sinful, especially if you’re just going to have a dance, a few drinks, chat with mates. Nothing wrong with that.

I just wonder if there is a better time for it. I mean, it’s Easter Sunday - isn’t there something a bit more oriented towards your faith that you could do, e.g. read Scripture?

However, if you’re going there to evangelise, go right ahead! :wink:

God bless, and happy Easter.

Jonathan

Hmmm, probably not the best idea. It is Easter, after all. :)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.