Is it a sin to go to the airport on Sunday?

2187 Sanctifying Sundays and holy days requires a common effort. Every Christian should avoid making unnecessary demands on others that would hinder them from observing the Lord’s Day. Traditional activities (sport, restaurants, etc.), and social necessities (public services, etc.), require some people to work on Sundays, but everyone should still take care to set aside sufficient time for leisure. With temperance and charity the faithful will see to it that they avoid the excesses and violence sometimes associated with popular leisure activities. In spite of economic constraints, public authorities should ensure citizens a time intended for rest and divine worship. Employers have a similar obligation toward their employees.

I will fullfill the Sunday obligation by going to the Saturday evening mass, would it be a sin to make people work at the airport? I will be visiting a junior college on monday, as I will have that day off from the high school I am currently attending, if I am unable to leave early Monday morning, would it be wrong to fly on Sunday?

This is a serious question correct? I have no ideas where you are getting your ideas from but if one has to travel on Sunday, then it isn’t a sin obviously. You really need to get some help and I suggest you speak to your priest and have him recommend someone that can help you because if you are asking questions like this, it almost borders on a break with reality.

Seriously? Don’t you think staffing an airport qualifies as a “public service” (like any other kind of public transport) per your own citation?

It is a sin for people to go to the airport anytime I am trying to use it.

A monk once told me that he thought modern airports were the most convincing proof of the concept of “original sin” :smiley:

Every Christian should avoid making unnecessary demands on others that would hinder them from observing the Lord’s Day. Traditional activities (sport, restaurants, etc.), and social necessities (public services, etc.), require some people to work on Sundays, but everyone should still take care to set aside sufficient time for leisure.

Traditional activities and public services require people to work, but by going to resturaunts and or an airport when we don’t have to, we are making unnecessary demands on them are we not?

You are showing your age which is pretty young and inexperienced. Public service such as travel which can include trains, taxis etc are not out of leisure and pleasure for most people. You are totally off on this and either playing games to cause arguments or being over board with the scruples. So working in something like an airport on Sunday is not a sin, it is a public service, it is needed for a majority of people using it and you need to come up with better questions and end this silliness.

No. Everyone is entitled to make a living. Their bosses determine their work hours.
Lots of people must fly on Sundays for Monday work.
Thus, people providing services are needed. There’s no sin involved.
As long as you fulfill you Mass obligation.
I’m a pianist, Would you consider it a sin if I played for Sunday Mass?
It’s necessary no? I’m employed by the church no?
As someone asked:…where are you getting these extreme notions? :confused:

This is really getting out of hand. You MUST talk to your pastor and get spiritual help for your scrupulosity. It has run amok.

My motive for doing this is so that I will not offend God by violating the third commandment. I am just trying to reason here. This is not some joke.

No, it is certainly no sin to use an airport, or a restaurant, on Sunday.

I thought it was road rage as convincing proof of “original” sin.

Then go read 1ke’s comment again. You are completely over the top. If you are legitimately asking questions like this on a regular basis, then you legitimately need some serious help in identifying what is or is not sinful. And that help is not to be found on the internet; it is to be found with a confessor.

Scrupulosity is a heavy burden to bear. It in not a moral issue any more than ADHD is - neither are; they are medical/mental issues. But scrupulosity is going to send one into a constant tailspin and constant crisis.

It is one thing to be young and full of curiosity, with perhaps a bit of overactive imagination. It is another think entirely to be suffering from scrupulosity, to live in fear that morally acceptable and morally neutral actions are somehow going to condemn one or result in gravely sinful choices.

Long ago I was in high school, and in our senior year we peppered our religion teacher with questions - a lot of which were of the nature of a game of “stump the teacher”. I can understand that game - having played it - but I have far less patience for it than our teacher did. I don’t consider your question a joke, but it appears to me to be one of two sources - the game we played, or scrupulosity.

If it is the game, most of us don’t have the time or patience for it.

If it is scrupulosity, we are not trained to help.

Yes, and I would add one thing:
look into it before you head to college, or else it’s going to be a VERY difficult experience with your peers and your professors.
Prayers offered.

Does your mother fix meals for you on the Sunday? Have you considered it a sin making your mother provide you with meals on Sunday?

What did your confessor say about this question?

Cooking food has always been an exception to the rule against doing unnecessary work on a Sunday.

No, but you could leave on Sat.

I would say that it is not a sin if the visit is important and cannot be done at some other time. If you lived in a country where people kept the Lord’s Day holy, but then they started opening the airport, then I think you would be obliged to boycott them because of the harm they would be inflicting upon society, but all those people will be working anyway, so if there is a serious reason then you can take advantage of it. If there was no serious reason, (if it was just for a holiday) then you should definitely not fly, just as no-one should ever shop on a Sunday without serious need - it profanes the Lord’s Day and encourages the whole of society to do so. I would not do anything that caused others to work on a Sunday lightly.

As have public utilities, which an airport clearly is. (For that matter, is cooking truly “unnecessary?” – since eating for most people is necessary, then the “rule” doesnt even apply – cooking isnt an “exception.” ) It has been hashed out here many times that eating out on a Sunday isn’t sinful. No one is “making people work” by flying on a Sunday - flights are scheduled according to plans formulated many months in advance. What’s next - taking a bus on a Sunday is wrong? Is driving wrong? That makes toll collectors, gas stations, etc. work. When did the rules of Orthodox Judiasm regarding Sabbath observance suddenly determine what Catholics could do on Sundays?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.