Is it a sin to hate winter?

Keeping in the spirit of the season and the many, many, many, many scrupulous questions asked here…

Is it a sin to hate winter?

As “winter” is incapable of being harmed by your opinion of its existence; my bet is “no.”

I hope not because our blasted thermometer seems to be stuck on -20C these days, and I’m royally fed up!!!

But God created winter! Shouldn’t I just suck it up and be thankful to be alive no matter what the weather is doing?

Sin is not determined by whether someone gets harmed or not.

-Tim-

What if I have Seasonal Affective Disorder or a vitamin D deficiency? Are these mitigating circumstances?

Sin, I don’t know, but don’t get wrapped up in self-pity or resentment. That would not be good for you.

I am hoping the extreme cold kills off the moths or their dormant eggs this winter. We have had several years of springtime caterpillar infestations that strip some trees of all their leaves. It’s an awful sight. Healthy trees can produce a new set of leaves after that, but too many years of that may kill a tree.

It also seems to me that a harsh winter leads to a relatively tick-free summer. Whether the cold is killing the ticks directly, or killing their host animals, I am not sure, but I’ll take it either way.

Not winter.

But it would be a sin to hate Spring!

:wink:

(Unless…of course, your first name is Frosty, then it’s understandable.)

Be thankful to not be breathing challenged and to have a body that can move into warmer weather if the chance arises :):slight_smile:

Remember that in NA at least, pants-kicking winter is the price for abundant water the rest of the year. You could be down here instead, where in summer you can fry eggs on a car hood :slight_smile:

ICXC NIKA

Just think of it as good prep. for Purgatory. :stuck_out_tongue:

Why would it be a sin to hate winter? Some of us don’t like winter so much that we live where winters are not so harsh.

Only if Purgatory really is in Colorado!!:):slight_smile:

ICXC NIKA

I say yes, because winter is hockey season. And we know God loves hockey

and he lit the lamps before the Lord, as the Lord had commanded Moses (Ex 40:25)

Only in hockey do we “light the lamp” :smiley:

winter has been a real cruel b…ch in the NE USA this year

“hating” winter i don’t know what that would accomplish

rather pray for the conversion of the global warming liars and charlatans

I don’t think it’s a sin to hate winter, but if you lose your power for any length of time you may be in danger of committing the sin of idolatry for a day or so. There would be a lot of claimants for your “worship”: the generators at the power plant, the line-workers who braved the cold to fix the power lines, your own generator if you owned one and used it, etc.

My advice: confine your thanks to saying prayers of thanks to God alone and express your thanks to all of the other people and things involved by asking God to bless them. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

Actually, as the author of Abandonment to Divine Providence emphasizes things “painful to nature are good for the soul.” So, the fact that you have an aversion to winter is a very good thing. That said, the question to ponder is…how are you reacting to that disappointment/irritant? Before you answer this consider…

As Jesus is always our model, it is notable that He had an aversion to accepting the Cross… that is, in His human condition he was stirred to pray, "My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from me; yet, not as I will, but as you will” (Matthew 26:39). This means that Jesus, God Himself, had a great aversion to being crucified on a cross. This is His human nature… Yet, in spite of His feelings, He prayed that His Father’s will be done…i.e., He desired the will of His Father above His own desire. He is our model.

So, returning to your question…whether or not you feel an aversion to winter, the real matter is whether you accept your dislike for it in view of God’s will… that is, IMO you turn to God in your dislike for it…so, if your dislike becomes an occasion for your turning to God in prayer, this is a very good thing. Whereas, if you use your dislike as a means to vent frequently and stir all kinds of negative discussion on it, this could be a sin. The question to always ponder is “what is my motive?” “Why do I vent?” If it is to “problem solve” to bring about a good solution for all, then it is good. If the venting has no purpose in mind but to elevate self and “hear oneself talk,” it is likely bad. Only you can answer this. But, the fact that you show even a little bit of concern for this is a very good sign that your motives are in check.

We all have evil inclinations because of original sin. It is very good to be wary of them. The fact that you raise the question about the sinfulness of your dislike is a good indicator that you are wary. So, I am inclined to believe that you do care about offending God. With this in mind, the fact that you care means that you are not, in fact, offending Him.

Be at peace.

houston1

I don’t hate winter. It’s the best season here. It was in the 70’s today. We might get a little colder next week with the possibility of rain, and snow in the mountains. Colder, like around 50 degrees or so.

But how do you feel about the summers!? :smiley:

It is good to detest sin is it not? If the love of life is good then…uh oh!..remember those cedar trees?..

:twocents:It is a joy to love :heart:spring especially @ Easter!!!:winter::snowing::winter:

To actually use the word Hate ,to describe your displeasure in a yearly season ,
Makes me think that perhaps their could be a deeper problem,
Do you truly HATE. Winter, or do you just find winter an uncomfortable yearly event ?
If you dislike winter that much, perhaps you could move to a more comfortable place,
Like Brisbane… It get uncomfortably cold for about 3 weeks per year,same with heat and summer, our cold is not freezing, no ice etc,

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.