Is it a sin to hate winter?

This winter hasn’t been to bad here in the NW USA (little snow). :slight_smile:

I am not an expert in these matters, but if you want my opinion on it, I would say yes it is wrong to hate winter. Winter is a beautiful season of the year created by God. It is wrong to hate a creation of God.

In which case Purgatory is Toronto…

I don’t think it’s a sin to hate winter or any season. I personally really dislike hot, humid weather–it makes my joints hurt and causes me to break out in heat rash, and it saps me of energy. We moved away from North Carolina in part to escape the long, hot, humid season (spring and summer are both that way in NC).

Winter is beautiful, and considering that it is in the winter when most of the competitive figure skating happens, it is a great season for me personally! CatholicHockey7, the hockey seasons lasts well into June, but the big figure skating competitions are over by the beginning of April. And then there’s skiing and snowboarding–lots of great winter sports for fans and participants!

But winter is also cruel. People die because of extreme cold, heart attacks from shoveling snow, and in horrific car crashes. The poor really suffer in the winter; in Chicago, it is against the law for landlords to turn the heat down below 68 degrees in their properties. Good for Chicago! And the elderly also suffer in winter–it’s so hard to get out when the sidewalks and parking lots are icy and terrifying. A fall can mean the end of freedom for an older person, and possibly the end of their life as well. So the elderly often spend winter in isolation.

And spring has its drawbacks, especially for those with seasonal allergies. I know people who spend their entire spring in a daze on drugs so that they can breathe!

And fall–well, that’s my favorite season. But fall brings the return of school, which is an unhappy day for many families! And fall can be gloomy and cold, too.

Here’s what I think, OP–I think it would be an occasion of sin to obsess about anything that you dislike. The Bible tells us to set our minds on what is true, honorable, right, pure, lovely (snow?!) and of good repute. Constantly dwelling on something that you hate could lead you to have a spirit of bitterness and anger against God and man, and this is sinful.

Also, constantly dwelling on what you hate can lead you to behave in a selfish way, always thinking about yourself and your preferences and perhaps even making a foolish decision that will cause strife in your life; e.g., quitting your job to move to a warmer climate. Now this could be a good thing, but it could also be very bad depending on how easily you can get a job in Hawaii, and whether you will leave beloved family and friends behind. Also, Hawaii is kind of expensive!

I would suggest trying to fill your mind with good things and not dwell on your hatred of winter. Allow yourself a few minutes every day to rant and rave against winter (preferably in private!), but spend all the other minutes of your day thinking about and speaking positively about all the many wonderful and good things. :slight_smile:

Normally yes, but in the case of this winter - if you live in New England - it’s OK.

The question posed in this thread ranks right up there with my other favorite CAF questions…

Is it a sin to like the South?
Is a Catholic allowed to admire non-Catholic scientists?
Is a Catholic allowed to own books written by Protestants?
Is it okay to name your baby Judas?
Does God Sit on Mary?

I’m adding “Is it a sin to hate winter?” to the list. :smiley:

-Tim-

I lived for a year on the outskirts of Toronto (well, Mississauga and Oakville really). I’m hoping God will knock some time off Purgatory for me :stuck_out_tongue:

Should we rename it the Catholic Scruples Forum, the Scrupolous Catholic’s Forum, or the Scrupulous Questions Forum?

:smiley:

I’d rather be too cold than too hot.

lol snow altars and ice churchs catholicnewsagency.com/blog/frost-and-chill-bless-the-lord-snow-altars-and-ice-churches/

Ant.2 Give glory to the King of kings, sing praise to God, alleluia.

Canticle – Daniel 3:57-88, 56
Let all creatures praise the Lord

*All you servants of the Lord, sing praise to him *(Revelation 19:5).

Bless the Lord, all you works of the Lord.
Praise and exalt him above all forever.
Angels of the Lord, bless the Lord.
You heavens, bless the Lord.
All you waters above the heavens, bless the Lord.
All you hosts of the Lord, bless the Lord.
Sun and moon, bless the Lord.
Stars of heaven, bless the Lord.

Every shower and dew, bless the Lord.
All you winds, bless the Lord.
Fire and heat, bless the Lord.
Cold and chill, bless the Lord.
Dew and rain, bless the Lord.
Frost and chill, bless the Lord.
Ice and snow, bless the Lord.

Nights and days, bless the Lord.
Light and darkness, bless the Lord.
Lightnings and clouds, bless the Lord.

Let the earth bless the Lord.
Mountains and hills, bless the Lord.
Everything growing from the earth, bless the Lord.
You springs, bless the Lord.

Seas and rivers, bless the Lord.
You dolphins and all water creatures, bless the Lord.
All you birds of the air, bless the Lord.
All you beasts, wild and tame, bless the Lord.
You sons of men, bless the Lord.

O Israel, bless the Lord.
Priests of the Lord, bless the Lord.
Servants of the Lord, bless the Lord.
Spirits and souls of the just, bless the Lord.
Holy men of humble heart, bless the Lord.
Hananiah, Azariah, Mishael, bless the Lord.

Let us bless the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit.
Let us praise and exalt him above all forever.
Blessed are you, Lord, in the firmament of heaven.
Praiseworthy and glorious and exalted above all forever.

Ant. Give glory to the King of kings, sing praise to God, alleluia.

“Out of the south comes the storm,
And out of the north the cold.

“From the breath of God ice is made,
And the expanse of the waters is frozen.

“Also with moisture He loads the thick cloud;
He disperses the cloud of His lightning.

“It changes direction, turning around by His guidance,
That it may do whatever He commands it
On the face of the inhabited earth.

“Whether for correction, or for His world,
Or for lovingkindness, He causes it to happen."

Or Montreal, though they at least still make the playoffs. Or Quebec City, still trying to get their team back. Or Edmonton, still not able to understand Craig MacTavish and all his friends are the cancer which is killing the team. Or Winninpeg, still unable to shake the ghosts of Atlanta and live up to expectations there.

:amen: Here in MN we are known as the land of extremes. It can get in the 20’s below zero with wind chills 40 below but in summer we can get days over 100 with 100% humidity. Talk about loving or hating seasons, we have it coming and going. :stuck_out_tongue:

I prefer spring and fall because they are the least extreme seasons we get, although we do get tornadoes in the spring. Autumn in MN is breathtakingly beautiful with all the colors, but winter is too, if you love snowy landscapes.

It’s being stuck indoors most of the year that can make us feel weary of it all. Enclosed in heated buildings in winter and cooled ones in summer–it’s like living on Mars.

There is no sin in not liking a particular season. Hate is a strong word, but being from Western NY, I AM SICK OF IT!!! :mad:

Like Della, we too are a land of extremes. Someone is always complaining- it’s too hot, it’s too cold, too much snow, not enough sun…, etc. :cool:

I have become convinced that if it were not for our crazy weather, we would have nothing to talk about with strangers in the grocery store. :stuck_out_tongue:

They can’t have it.
Bad as things have been lately.

Rubbing it in are we?

I like the cut of the jib of this thread.:wink:

Personally I hate summer and spring. I LOVE winter and wish it was colder more often. However winter out west is much better than winter in this horrid wasteland of poverty and pollution that we call the midwest… But still I always say about temperature, I can always put on another layer. But in the hot humid summer, I can only get so naked…

Spring is just the sweet whisper in your ear that warm days feel good and it is pretty. After a couple of months that lie takes hold to a smog filled dust filled hot red sun withering some poor farmer’s crops. Fall reminds you that it is ok to be active and fresh and cool and winter is some of the best time to spend alive as a human. So I hate two of the four seasons.

Not to mention if you live in the midwest you are much safer in the winter. Spring and summer are just hotbeds for tornadoes. (man, why do people live here?) Is it a sin to hate summer? or any season? I only know that Jesus chose to be born in the piercing cold… Now that is a man I can relate to!

Yes, it is a sin to “hate” winter?
Did not God fix the order of the seasons and the boundaries of their regions?
Is there not a time for everything under the sun?

Whoops…there went that argument…

A time to love, :confused:

A time to love, and a time to hate;
a time of war, and a time of peace.

So, Is winter the time to hate???:confused:

We’re expecting 3" to 6" of snow Tuesday here in MN. :extrahappy: As you can tell from the smilie, we’re happy about it and praying it won’g misss us again like it has all winter. All we’ve had is piddling little snow falls that didn’t amount to much of anything. My dh took out the snowblower once all season, so far. We need the snow because we’ll have a drought this spring without it. We’re way down on accumulating moisture in the ground. And many of our businesses here rely on snowy winters, especially winter sports. We’re envious of the NW East Coast, crying, “They got OUR snow!” Sure, winter can drag on and having to bundle up and warm up the car and plow snow ain’t fun, but we really wouldn’t have it any other way when all is said and done. :smiley:

I am presuming the question was serious.
The original poster hasn’t said anything anymore…

I can relate to the question.
I am a member of a meteorological forum where so many members have been hoping for extremely cold and snowy weather all winter (I am not in the US, there they would have been very happy… :wink: ) Me on the other hand have sooo much been hoping for a mild winter. I don’t deal with cold well. Also it gets quite cold inside in the studio where I live when it is cold outside all day and night.
POlus I have kind of “fallen in love” with another weather situation that I am hoping for and looking out for on the internet, that also a lot of other people don’t like (a wind that brings rather damp but mild weather).

I have thought quite a bit about the moral implications of liking or not liking a type of weather.
Is it ok to like a kind of weather that makes somebody else feel bad, for example?

I would say, we are all different. I do not wish anybody anything bad, so I think I am allowed to like the kind of weather that I like. I mean, we cnanot really even change what we like, right?

I agree with those who said that hate is a strong word. Ha, there is a kind of wind here where I live that can get very cold and stingy. I have started, for fun, calling it “the *****”. Then feeling guilty because God has created all winds.
But I don’t mean it in any really bad sense, more for funny, so again I think it is ok.

Hate… I would try not to hate, really hate, I mean deep-from-the-heart hate anything that God created that is not inherently evil. (I think it is good to “hate” evil??) But then again, all that is a matter of how we define hate.
Hate if it is really deep hatred in our hearts is probably more harmful than anything. Makes us grouchy, unhappy, negative.

Maybe it is better to focus on the positive.
Look forward to spring, for example.

But sin? We scrupulous people tend to make moral situations out of very banal things, that aren’t moral at all. We need to be aware of that, that already helps a lot :). Cannot see sin everywhere, that too is not healthy…

I just had a thought: Winter is the only time when you can literally walk on water…:smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.