Is it a sin to hate your own country?

Just curious. :confused:

As hate is a very strong negative emotion I believe it is a sin.

The Lord loves those who hate evil; he preserves the lives of his saints; he delivers them from the hand of the wicked. Psalm 97:10 – RSVCE

I’ll leave the interpretin and decidin to others… :shrug:

I will say I like David.

Hate is poison for the soul, because it makes it even harder to “forgive those that trespass against us”.

You cannot have peace if you heart is filled with hatred.
Hate evil actually means to not indulge in evil, avoid it at all cost. Not the emotion of hate someone feels against others.

Peace? :thumbsup:

Proverbs 10:12
Hatred stirs up strife, but love covers all offenses.

If you have a problem with certain values
in general of your own country, it’s fine to
have a problem with it, but don’t let HATE
consume you.

Does the person who hates their own country truly hate the whole country?

Do they possibly hate sinful things that go on within the country?

A country… actually means not just the government, but all the people, all of the beauty in the land and nature of the country, etc. Are there not 40 good people in the country? Did God create the beauty in the nature of the land and its animals? Are there any good things about the government?

I think we’re expected to be reasonably patriotic. After all the country in which you were raised gave you (hopefully) an environment in which you can flourish.

Hmmm… :blush: I get your point… but feeling particularly ornery this morning…

I hate double-minded men, but I love thy law. – Psalm 119:113 RSVCE

Ok well then at a minimum can we hate politicians as double minded men ? :smiley:

19 O that thou wouldst slay the wicked, O God,
and that men of blood would depart from me,
20 men who maliciously defy thee,
who lift themselves up against thee for evil![c]
21 Do I not hate them that hate thee, O Lord?
And do I not loathe them that rise up against thee?
22** I hate them with perfect hatred**;
I count them my enemies.
23 Search me, O God, and know my heart!
Try me and know my thoughts!
24 And see if there be any wicked[d] way in me,
and lead me in the way everlasting!
Psalm 139:19-24 RSV CE

And that concludes my orneriness for a while… :wink:

A constitutional republic where women can’t vote or hold office. In order to vote, one must be a land owner, a business owner, or a veteran (or soldier) and no felonies.

It would not be the popular choice, especially among the ladies, but we would elect the very best candidates and abortion would not be pushed down our throats…

This is a bit of tongue and cheek, but you asked…

I don’t think that God would mind if you hated Nazi Germany. Hopefully that answers your question.

There is a big difference between hating your country and hating it’s current values. One should be always proud of his country. Why would you hate it?

wrong thread lol i think u meant to click on the one above this one

Oops, thanks…

It would be all right to recognize what’s wrong with your country and work to make it better. If you see evil, wickedness, corruption, greed for power or money, hatred, injustice, poverty, ignorance, etc., then let your emotions energize you to take positive (constructive) action. This can be a way to carry out Jesus’ command to love one another, love your neighbor, and even love your enemies.

Well said. :thumbsup:

:smiley: Ok! But,

Peace :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.