Is It A Sin To Have A Lot Of Material Goods?

oops

SORRY…I just realised im in the wrong forum!!!

Nevermind, I’ll take this to Ask An Apologist

I think this is an excellent question. Do your material goods suck more time out of you than you give to God? For example, do you spend more time playing your game systems etc, than you spend in prayer time? A disproportionate amount of time?

Why are you asking this? Has the Holy Spirit put this on your heart lately? Maybe He is trying to wake you up?

Do you spend time thinking about your stuff and wanting more? Or do you spend more time with prayer on your mind.

I do not think the sin comes from how much you have because it is not a sin to collect things. The sin comes when you start to covet others things, start getting selffish with your things and time, start cutting God out slowly and start focusing more on your entertainment and earthly pleasures. Do you place God above all in your life?

If the answer is yes, then I would guess you are OK. If it is questionable, then you may want to scale back and start to refocus and re-dedicate yourself to God.

[quote=jrabs]I think this is an excellent question. Do your material goods suck more time out of you than you give to God? For example, do you spend more time playing your game systems etc, than you spend in prayer time? A disproportionate amount of time?
[/quote]

I would think alot of people spend more time at work than they do giving to God.
I spend more time studying than I do giving to God, but if I changed that I may fail my exams.
Surely its all about striking the right balance, and can we, rather than God, define what that balance is?
Personally, and maybe ignorantly, I think that material possessions are OK. Eg, I have alot of books, but they are relevant to my studies. I realise they are a means to an end.
Would having dozens of Bible translations be wrong?
But I do think it is important that these possessions be used profitably and sensibly.
Try not to let possessions be the master of you. It’s when you lose that control that you have a problem, in my opinion. I became a bit obssessive about playing video games, but my studies began to suffer, and I realised I was in trouble. Fortunately I was able to sort it out.

you may want to scale back and start to refocus and re-dedicate yourself to God.

I think we should all do that from time to time. Think of it like a spiritual ‘spring cleaning’.

[quote=veryconfused]I would think alot of people spend more time at work than they do giving to God.
I spend more time studying than I do giving to God, but if I changed that I may fail my exams.
Surely its all about striking the right balance, and can we, rather than God, define what that balance is?’.
[/quote]

You are correct - but this post was not about work or school or any of the primary ways you must spend your day ( being a parent, student, etc.). It was about pleasure time.

If you can spend an hour of relaxation time watching TV or playing a game system, then maybe you can give God equal time. Certainly not a requirement by any stretch of the imagination. But definitely worthwhile to pursue.

[quote=jrabs]You are correct - but this post was not about work or school or any of the primary ways you must spend your day ( being a parent, student, etc.). It was about pleasure time.
[/quote]

With all due respect, the post was about material goods. In which case I was wrong to ramble on about temporal issues. For this, I am sorry. It was selfish and ignorant of me.
But I stand by what I said

Try not to let possessions be the master of you. It’s when you lose that control that you have a problem, in my opinion

Very good post. If everyone were to give up all their material goods, they would become part of the Hungry/Homeless problem. However, to simplify your life some would cut down on your material goods and give you more time for God. This is one of the goals of members in The Secular Franciscan Order. You might look them up.

Deacon Tony SFO

closed #8

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.