Is it a sin to have a negative view on others?

I’m not being scrupulous and I’m a altar boy. Me and my friends have some negative thoughts on the other altar boy. Because he always hijacks our time even tho he is not assigned on that specific schedule. Everyday he is there like he always steals the time he wants to be one who bells the sanctus bell every time.
But theres a bright side behind him, I understand him he is just a kid and I’m older than him. But I know the fact he cant just hijack everybody’s time that he is not assigned in.
The bright side is he gave me a bread before we serve the altar (1 hour before) but I don’t like the attitude that he steals everybody’s time. But I still treat him as a bro, I don’t tell him he is annoying I’m trying my best not to hurt his feeling
But this made me think about Envy. After all I have thinked of… Did I commited envy?

Growing up I altar served for 10 years, and for two years I was altar serving at three different churches at the same time. But it is important to remember that altar serving is helping the priest and Jesus through preparing for the sacrament of the Eucharist and assisting the congregation
by creating a reverential and holy atmosphere.

Altar serving isn’t about who gets to do the most stuff, who gets to carry the cross or who gets to ring the bell or bring the chalice to the altar. Sure these are fun things, but remember the bigger reason why you serve and what the importance of it is. It would be just as holy if you did absolutely nothing as an altar server all mass, it isn’t about the quantity you do, it’s about the quality you partake in

2 Likes

It is noble that you are eager to serve, but this is an opportunity for you to develop the virtues of Christ in your service at the altar. Consider the words of the Apostle:

“Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility regard others as better than yourselves.” Philippians 2:3

The more you can yield the things you want, and the place of honor to another, the greater will be the growth of humility in your own soul. For all you know, it is the ringing of the bells that is keeping his soul away from sin. If, by giving up this privilege, you can help him be closer to God, then be most eager to encourage him.

It is very possible that he is being pressured by a parent to insert himself.

2 Likes

It’s not a sin to be annoyed by something that someone else is doing. What’s important is how you handle it. It sounds like you’re doing your best to be reasonable with him.

1 Like

You did not commit “envy”. You are just irritated by him, which is natural.

This is a situation where you can exercise / improve in the virtue of patience and meekness. Virtues are hard, but the more you do it, the easier it becomes.

The nice thing about being virtuous is that it makes us happier people.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.