Is it a sin to help someone of a different religion to make a robe for their religious rituals?

A relative of mine is a member of a completely different religion than Christianity. He wants to use my mother’s sewing machine to make a robe to use in his religious ceremony he does at home. However, he doesn’t remember how to thread the sewing machine and asked me to go over to his place to help him. On one hand, I think that if this were a Muslim asking me to help her make a prayer carpet I wouldn’t have a problem helping out. But he’s a member of a different sort of religion… the kind that is basically a cult and has “masses” and a “eucharist” and he wants to make a robe that looks something like what a Catholic priest wears so it makes me kinda uncomfortable. What do you think?

I believe it is a sin. One should not help a minister of a false religion engage in his cult.

Don’t do it.

May I ask why on every post you make you show “devoutchristian is correct”?

It’s my signature. I got the idea from TheRealJuliane.

It would be a sin to help your friend engage in his mock Mass.

I don’t believe it would be a sin to allow a Protestant or Orthodox Christian to borrow your sewing machine to make vestments, so long as you do it out of friendliness, not because you share their beliefs.

God Bless. :highprayer:

Where do you draw the line? If you sold grapes and they were going to make wine for their “mass” would you refuse? If you sold flour and they wanted to buy some to make bread would you refuse?

Jesus surrounded himself with riffraff of the worst reputation. I could go on but it generally gets into horse beating.

If it was my relative, I would thread the needle.

Yeah see my first thought was that I would do it because it is meeting him where he’s at in his spiritual life and bringing life and kindness to where he is. Other people in our family have been very hard on him for certain choices he’s made in his life. I would never join in his religious practices, and he knows that.

But at the same time, I know we’re not to help out or worship in non-Catholic religions/temples. So I’m just not sure.

Yeah see my first thought was that I would do it because it is meeting him where he’s at in his spiritual life and bringing life and kindness to where he is. Other people in our family have been very hard on him for certain choices he’s made in his life. I would never join in his religious practices, and he knows that.

But at the same time, I know we’re not to help out or worship in non-Catholic religions/temples. So I’m just not sure.

Well I wouldn’t ask what they’d be using the grapes, wine or flour for, and I didn’t ask what he wanted to make. Someone else randomly told me. I draw the line when I know I am committing a sin… but I don’t know where that line is in this area. I do know that in one time of my life I was in a very bad place, and the people who made the most impact, the people who most made me want to change my life, were the ones who met me where I was without judgement and even bought me things I shouldn’t have had. They went through it with me, they helped me out of my hell by stepping right into the fire.

Yes Jesus did surround himself with the worst thought of people, but did he cooperate in their sin? No. Did he encourage them to sin in any way? No. He revealed God to them and then told them to leave their sins behind and then follow him.

I think it sort of depends… exactly what religion is he? Because some protestants can have “masses” and “communions” and vestments that I don’t think it’d be morally problematic for you to lend a sewing machine for, but if he’s holding like a Black Mass or something, then don’t get involved at all. If it’s somewhere in the middle, perhaps we can help you figure out?

Strikes me as an abuse. Perhaps the poster who originally made the comment you use as your signature might, in fact, disagree with some comment you might make. But you attribute that “agreement” to everything you say without, in fact, securing the agreement of the individual who originally made the comment.

Dshix found it humorous, which is how it was intended.

I think the previous responses pay too much attention to the ritual itself and not whether you would enable a (presumably) sinful ritual. Since you are merely teaching him how to use the machinery, and since I assume he could bring the robe to a tailor if you refused to help him, I doubt it. What he decides to do with the robe after the fact is up to him.

However, I suggest that you also consult your priest about this matter.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.