Is it a sin to leave out parts of things?

is it a sin not to mention everything if someone asks you a question?

for example, if someone asks me a personal question and there are things I don’t want to say, I will say some true things which I’m ok with talking about but leave out the rest or simply change the subject

or I my parents ask me what I did in a day, is it necessary to mention every single thing. for example, they don’t always understand why I like tto go to daily mass and disapprove sometimes. I am tired ot getting in to an argument of why I’m not home that half an hour earlier to do my chores. or like yesterday, my regular bus didn’t show up, so I took another one, which goes close to my church, it was close to time to daily mass to I just popped in. then my dad offered to pick me up so he did but he didn’t tell my mom and she didn’t ask. when I got back, she asked why it took so long and why I didn’t call earlier, so I told her there was an accident which was making the buses late, which is true, and that I took a different route, which is also true. she had been in a bad mood for the last couple days so I just didn’t say I went to mass. she didn’t ask anything else after that anyways. I would have said where I was if she had asked which bus I took or where my dad picked me up from but she didn’t

or another time, when my friend and his girlfriend were not getting along so well and he said that he was going to wait until a later time to deal with it and how he also didn’t think it would ever work out. a while later, his girlfriend was talking to me about the same issue and she was saying that she didn’t know what to do and just wanted to deal with it later instead of now. then she asked if her boyfriend had ever mentioned anything and I said that he basically said the same thing as her about wanting to deal with it later, but I left out the part about him thinking it wouldn’t ever work out. she didn’t really press so I didn’t exactly want to be the one to mention that especially since he could have just been talking out of anger or not really meaning it.

so I don’t know, why does it feel like lying if I’m leaving things out, and is it?

In Luke 22:70 Jesus is asked whether He is the Son of God, and He tells them that it is they who say He is.

Basically it’s definitely not a sin if you don’t give a full and clear answer.

The Catechism teaches:

2488 The right to the communication of the truth is not unconditional. Everyone must conform his life to the Gospel precept of fraternal love. This requires us in concrete situations to judge whether or not it is appropriate to reveal the truth to someone who asks for it.

2489 Charity and respect for the truth should dictate the response to every request for information or communication. The good and safety of others, respect for privacy, and the common good are sufficient reasons for being silent about what ought not be known or for making use of a discreet language. The duty to avoid scandal often commands strict discretion. No one is bound to reveal the truth to someone who does not have the right to know it.

It might not be a sin, but it would be rude in most situations to answer fully. If I were to ask you about your day I would be expecting a one or 2 word reply (“fine” or “lousy”). If you started listing everything you did that day, along with the reasons, my eyes would start to glaze over and I’d be trying to escape.

Even your parents are likely just looking for a general answer, with maybe some details about an event or 2. But if they are expecting you to be home at a certain time, do call when you’ll be late. It’s the polite thing to do.

*Just because someone asks a question doesn’t mean they’re entitled to an answer, *especially if it’s none of their business. Someone asking a personal question can get a partial answer (like in your example) or you could simply say “that’s personal and I’d rather not talk about it”, or something similar. In the case of your friend’s girlfriend asking about what he said, it’s not a good idea to get in the middle of someone else’s relationship so your answer was a good one. Trust your instincts, they seem to be steering you right.

It’s called discretion. :cool:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.