Is it a sin to let someone under 18 to use their parents credit card

I want to buy something on playstation store and you have to either buy a $20 card,$50 or use a credit card and want to use my moms credit card so she dosent waste $20.Would it be a sin if you had permission to use the credit card?BTW im 13.

You need to get professional help from your priest. You simply cannot come here and ask if every aspect of every day living is a sin. You have numerous "is this a sin" posts on here. Please get help.

What makes you think it would be a matter of sin?

If your parents let you use it then there is nothing wrong with it.

[quote="steve99n, post:1, topic:323718"]
I want to buy something on playstation store and you have to either buy a $20 card,$50 or use a credit card and want to use my moms credit card so she dosent waste $20.Would it be a sin if you had permission to use the credit card?BTW im 13.

[/quote]

you cannot use a credit card legally if you are under 18 years of age as well as the fact that you are not a signer on the card because your age is 13. Either have your mom buy it for you or wait till birthday or Christmas to get it.

From YouCat (Youth Catechism):

316 How can we distinguish serious sins(mortal) from less serious (venial) sins?

Serious sin destroys the divine power of love in a person's heart, without which there can be no eternal beatitude. Hence it is also called mortal sin. Serious sin breaks with God, whereas venial sin only strains the relationship with him. [1852-1861, 1874]

A serious sin cuts a person off from God. One requirement for such a sin that it be opposed to an important value, for instance, directed against life or God (for example, murder, blasphemy, adultery, and so on) and that it be committed with full knowledge and full consent. Venial sins are opposed to secondary values (honor, truth, property, and so on) or are committed without full knowledge of their seriousness or without full consent of the will. Such sins disrupt the relationship with God but do not sever it.

You may also wish to read in the Catechism 1854-1864: The Gravity of Sin: Mortal and Venial Sin

Stevo, get a part time job and pay 4 things with your own money

There have been too many cases of under 18 children taking their parents charge cards and using them. It is considered fraud whether she "gives" you so called permission or not. You're worry shouldn't be whether it is sin but whether it is considered fraud. You can't do this, it is serious business to use a credit card when you are under 18 years of age.

[quote="Iheartcoffee, post:3, topic:323718"]
If your parents let you use it then there is nothing wrong with it.

[/quote]

Credit card terms of use require that all transactions must be done through the cardholder. Even if someone has permission to use the card from the cardholder, it is still against the terms of use, which the cardholder agreed to and signed at the time the card was received.

[quote="robwar, post:7, topic:323718"]
There have been too many cases of under 18 children taking their parents charge cards and using them. It is considered fraud whether she "gives" you so called permission or not. You're worry shouldn't be whether it is sin but whether it is considered fraud. You can't do this, it is serious business to use a credit card when you are under 18 years of age.

[/quote]

You're making a big deal over nothing. He has her permission. She can stand over him as he enters the data, or if you wanna be absurdly, ridiculously scrupulous about it, he could show her how to enter the data. There's nothing fraudulent about that. Maybe I have to re-read my credit card terms, because the last time I checked, it wasn't fraud to use your credit card to buy someone else a gift.

[quote="VeritasLuxMea, post:9, topic:323718"]
You're making a big deal over nothing. He has her permission. She can stand over him as he enters the data, or if you wanna be absurdly, ridiculously scrupulous about it, he could show her how to enter the data. There's nothing fraudulent about that. Maybe I have to re-read my credit card terms, because the last time I checked, it wasn't fraud to use your credit card to buy someone else a gift.

[/quote]

Point being if something goes wrong (say the purchase turns out to be a scam on the part of the seller and money is lost or stolen as a result) the CC company can potentially refuse to reimburse her if she did not personally input the data.

If the OP's mother trusts him, that's one thing, and I'm not saying it's necessarily immoral, nor even necessarily illegal. Just a potential issue to be aware of.

[quote="VeritasLuxMea, post:9, topic:323718"]

[/quote]

Sorry but this is fraud even if she were to stand over him. One has to be 18 years of age to even have or use a credit card. Maybe you have never been a victim of fraud with a credit card but both my husband and myself have had credit cards stolen and abused and it is a serious issue. Besides that, this teaches this person (which I think is a troll) at 13 that this is ok and sets a bad precidence. My husband is a therapist and he has had parents who have come in because their teenage children got ahold of their parents credit card and started ordering things on the internet. It is illegal. If the parent decides its ok to give their child something, they should buy it for them themselves. What you are suggesting in a cavalier way is fraud, illegal because this person in under 18 and sets the precidence again that its ok to use as a minor someone credit card which this kid has no way of paying for. What is really sad is your attitude about fraud and credit card abuse which is a major problem in all over the world.

[quote="1ke, post:2, topic:323718"]
You need to get professional help from your priest. You simply cannot come here and ask if every aspect of every day living is a sin. You have numerous "is this a sin" posts on here. Please get help.

What makes you think it would be a matter of sin?

[/quote]

In all Charity, perhaps it might have been more appropriate to send a PM to this person instead of a 20K poster publically chastising a relative newbie.

In all charity, the OP has started over 20 different threads asking if some everyday activity is a sin or not.

[quote="Daizies, post:13, topic:323718"]
In all charity, the OP has started over 20 different threads asking if some everyday activity is a sin or not.

[/quote]

I think this is a troll to start problems and mock the concept of sin and what is sin as taught by the Catholic Church. So to mock, someone starts a bunch of threads asking
is this is a sin. Sadly this one is over the edge because I am sure the poster knows it is illegal for someone under 18 to use a credit card and it boarders on fraud.

[quote="robwar, post:14, topic:323718"]
I think this is a troll to start problems and mock the concept of sin and what is sin as taught by the Catholic Church. So to mock, someone starts a bunch of threads asking
is this is a sin. Sadly this one is over the edge because I am sure the poster knows it is illegal for someone under 18 to use a credit card and it boarders on fraud.

[/quote]

Perhaps he is an immature Catholic that has no guidance at home to direct him toward what is right or wrong.

I am new here but it seems that folks with a thousand or more posts are a little jaded. Or, perhaps, it is "I" that am naïve.

We can all offer the legalities of contract law and minority versus majority obligations. I have not read this person’s previous post but, perhaps, a little of the Fourth Fruit of the Holy Spirit (PATIENCE) might be in order

[quote="Daizies, post:13, topic:323718"]

[/quote]

It sounds like this is just a kid looking for guidance. I have a feeling he is not from America or Europe (English is not his first language).

Cut him some slack won't you?

As I said before ... meditate on the Fourth (and Fifth) Fruits of the Holy Spirit.

[quote="The_Sojourner, post:15, topic:323718"]
Perhaps he is an immature Catholic that has no guidance at home to direct him toward what is right or wrong.

I am new here but it seems that folks with a thousand or more posts are a little jaded. Or, perhaps, it is "I" that am naïve.

We can all offer the legalities of contract law and minority versus majority obligations. I have not read this person’s previous post but, perhaps, a little of the Fourth Fruit of the Holy Spirit (PATIENCE) might be in order

[/quote]

I do appreciate your thoughts. One of the signs of a troll is that they will start threads and then never clarify with posting back on the thread that they started. If genuine, that would have been done especially since what he or she is asking about is well "illegal" and fraudulant. But what happens on the thread is that people start arguing back and forth on it and with each other. The question if one looks at it carefully doesn't make any sense which sometimes is another sign. He wants to use his mother's charge card to save her $20. It doesn't add up or make any sense. In reality questions of "what is sin" should be asked of the priest and these types of questions usually end up with everyone giving an opinion which conflict with each other and leads to confusion otherwise.

[quote="The_Sojourner, post:12, topic:323718"]
In all Charity, perhaps it might have been more appropriate to send a PM to this person instead of a 20K poster publically chastising a relative newbie.

[/quote]

I don't think 1ke was "chastising" the poster.

1ke is drawing attention to the fact that the poster frequently asks these questions and needs help for his scrupulosity. If other posters are unaware of this, then they might attempt to answer the question with a degree of nuance that will be potentially damaging to the OP. It happens all the time in these threads.

[quote="robwar, post:17, topic:323718"]
The question if one looks at it carefully doesn't make any sense which sometimes is another sign. He wants to use his mother's charge card to save her $20. It doesn't add up or make any sense. In reality questions of "what is sin" should be asked of the priest and these types of questions usually end up with everyone giving an opinion which conflict with each other and leads to confusion otherwise.

[/quote]

You have never purchased anything at the Playstation store have you?

It makes perfect sense to those of us that have.

Ok now I cant even no body on this site and its catholic i wish it wasnt it a sin to cuss but if I have to then I guess i wont use this site then.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.