Is it a sin to listen to New Age music?

Hi everyone. I bought a CD called Tai Chi - Music For Relaxation as a relaxation CD. It is quite clearly New Age music. Would it be a sin to listen to this CD? :confused:

As long as you don’t believe any of the trash they’ll probably try to promote, I doubt it’s wrong.

So long as there are no lyrics praising a false god or ideals,
I don’t see how.
I myself, am in lurve with Kitaro’s Silk Road, esp Theme from Silk Roads. Find it on YouTube, very pretty and relaxing.
I’d love to go to one of his (or similar) concerts!

The music I have is just instrumental music. There are no lyrics to believe or not to believe.

No lyrics? I don’t see a problem with the music itself.
The money from the CD may be going to things you
may not want to support, but I don’t think the music
itself is sinful/evil.
Who’s the artist for this CD, I’d love to look them up!

New Age music is on the same level as Rock, Rap, Country, Jazz, Bluegrass, Gospel, and every other form of anticlassical music. Anticlassical music, regardless of lyrical content or lack thereof, is essentially of the flesh, not the mind.

The only music that is truly of the mind, that is truly human, in other words, is Classical music, on the order of Vivaldi, J.S. Bach, Beethoven, and Brahms, as distinct from the anticlassical, so-called Romantic works of Wagner, Franz Liszt, and Hector Berlioz.

Compare any of the first paragraph’s indicated musical offerings, to Bach’s St. Matthew Passion or the Jesu Meine Freude. There is a species-difference between the two. The former is animalistic, the latter is humanistic.

In other words, New Age music, lyrical or not, is, like all anticlassical music, a vice, like tobacco smoking or drinking alcohol. The only healthy form of music, from a cognitive perspective, is Classical forms.

Jesu Meine Freude

Save the Negro Spiritual

Country Music is meant to make you stupid

h

I listen to ‘new age’ music, too…but it’s instrumental only. I wouldn’t find instrumental music, even if it’s composed by a new age artist, sinful, though. I also like to play it in the background, when I pray the Rosary.

There are some songs out there that have a ‘hidden’ message of following one’s self, and Thee One God, but I tend to stick with instrumental only…like flutes, played in a meditative way.

Are you seriously telling me that Brahms’ Hungarian Dances or Rossini’s William Tell Overture (both of which I love by the way) are of the mind and not most definitely of the body? In what parallel universe?

ALL music is sensual (of the body) - designed to appeal to the sense of hearing.

Honestly, I don’t even think that New Age music with words would be sinful. If any music was expressly sinful to listen to, it would be rap, and the trash that we call pop, because these songs promote violence, sex outside of marriage, ect.

Not to mention, that when most people listen to New Age, it is just instrumental, and it is very relaxing.:slight_smile:

Not all rap promotes violence, sex outside of marriage, ect. Why would you make such a vile statement against this entire art form?

Although I’m not sure if listening to New Age music is sinful or not I would suggest that it would be highly IMPRUDENT!

I used to listen to a LOT of New-Age music, everything from Enigma to Mike Oldfield, because I liked the way it made me ***feel ***! It never gave me peace but it did give me a ***feeling ***of peace. But it would never last.

Try to think of what is happening spiritually when you listen to music; and music does move your spirit. If you listen to Christian music where the musicans etc. have prayed that whoever listens to their music will be moved closer to God, then anyone who listens to their music will recieve grace when listening to it. You recieve the “Spirit” that the musicians intend for you to recieve.
Same thing happens when New-Agers make music, you pick up the New-Age spirits.

If music helps you relax, I would suggest you find some good Chistian/Catholic music. I personally like to listen to some of the Taizé music. Very peaceful. :thumbsup:

Nothing I tell you is going to convince you of anything. Men cannot teach truth, only guide others toward it. You must read the materials cited, et al, and establish the truth of the matter for yourself.

All music involves the flesh, but, not all is of it. Only Romantic and similar composers intend to please the ears through arbitrary sound arrangements. Classical composers compose their works around an idea–a mental construct–that the notes are indicators of. Until one understands this, one knows nothing valuable whatever of Classical music and all music is merely sensuality, all acoustical majesty merely frippery, all musical virtuosity merely egotism.

Also note that not everything a genius produces is a work of genius, as it were.

h

art form? LOL Have you been talking to my kids…did they put you up to saying that? :smiley: :wink:

Funny how their ‘mental constructs’ are always so pleasing to the ears too :shrug:

And funny that they never wrote treatises or gave talks explaining these ‘mental constructs’. Nor required those audiences attending their concerts to read such writings or hear such talks about their ‘mental constructs’, even though without such their music apparently cannot be understood. :shrug:

funny how people with absolutely no musical education, such as myself, can love and ‘get’ those pieces fully too - and we do, regardless of your absurd proposition that we can’t :shrug:

funny how women used to swoon even at Handel’s operas because their senses were so ravished :shrug: - do you hear Handel ever complaining about how they so clearly didn’t ‘get’ his music?

It isn’t wrong in itself, but buying these CD’s provides financial support for those who promote New Age and other philosophies which are dangerous things to get involved in.

More insufferable smugness.

“There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance. That principle is contempt prior to investigation.”
–Herbert Spencer

Why wouldn’t they be so; is not such beauty a harmony between flesh and mind?

And funny that they never wrote treatises or gave talks explaining these ‘mental constructs’. Nor required those audiences attending their concerts to read such writings or hear such talks about their ‘mental constructs’, even though without such their music apparently cannot be understood. :shrug:

You wouldn’t understand the meaning of Hieronymus Bosch’s works without explanation, yet Bosch did not give talks explaining them at the time.

If the beauty of Classical music is so apparent to the senses, and so sublime, such music would be the most popular in the world. Obviously there are many other forms that the idiosyncratic ears of the masses find preferable. Black Metal is one example. Beauty is all relative, right? Cannibal Corpse and Deicide are just as beautiful as Beethoven and Mozart, right? Whatever floats your boat.

funny how people with absolutely no musical education, such as myself, can love and ‘get’ those pieces fully too - and we do, regardless of your absurd proposition that we can’t :shrug:

Music soothes the savage beast, but, so does a tranquiliser dart.

funny how women used to swoon even at Handel’s operas because their senses were so ravished :shrug: - do you hear Handel ever complaining about how they so clearly didn’t ‘get’ his music?

Women used to orgasm in the stands at the Coliseum, as men and beasts tore each other apart for their pleasure.

Even swine will enjoy the finest of banquets.

Sense pleasure means nothing by itself, only the ideas matter.

Work through the articles referenced, then we can talk.

h

Smugness? That’s rich coming from Mr ‘oh you poor pleb couldn’t possiby understand REAL art - it needs a university degree thank you very much’.

Bosch? You mean the artist I presume. I could make the same argument about him - people aren’t REQUIRED to read up on his works to appreciate them. Obviously he knew when painting them that most of his public wouldn’t be terribly well educated and so made his ideas apparent enough even for them.

That is what art is about, essentially, making both thoughts and feelings palpable. And unless an artist is an extremely unskillful one (and Bosch certainly isn’t), they reveal plenty and more than sufficient of their meaning without the need for convoluted explanations concocted by themselves or by academics who otherwise couldn’t justify their salaries or existences. Their art is a failure if they don’t!

A case in point - a story told about (if I remember correctly) Picasso. One of his works had a big red slash of paint in one section. An art critic wrote gushingly about its deep symbolism in regards to anger or sexuality, or whatever the heck it was he thought was the ‘mental construct’ behind it. Picasso’s reply? ‘My brush slipped, the red looked good, I let it stay.’ So much for the ‘oh you couldn’t possibly understand unless you have a PhD’ school of art studies.

If the beauty of Classical music is so apparent to the senses, and so sublime, such music would be the most popular in the world. Obviously there are many other forms that the idiosyncratic ears of the masses find preferable. Black Metal is one example. Beauty is all relative, right? Cannibal Corpse and Deicide are just as beautiful as Beethoven and Mozart, right? Whatever floats your boat.

Umm … noticed any Cannibal Corpse or Deicide being used in worldwide blockbuster movies or tv ad campaigns lately? Classical music is the most often used in these situations, if any commercial music is, unless it’s something specifically targeted at a teen audience, for example. And that’s precisely because it IS the most appealing (and to the broadest range of people around the globe) type of music :cool:

Women used to orgasm in the stands at the Coliseum, as men and beasts tore each other apart for their pleasure.

And you know this how? :ehh:

Work through the articles referenced, then we can talk.

h

Because they mirror your own intellectual snobbery? No thanks.

New Age music is not to be equated with the New Age or magick. Some of Enya’s music is New Age, but she is a strong Christian.

He’s completely right. You might be able to make a case that rap isn’t music as it tends to sacrifice melody for beat, but it is certainly still poetry and still art. Check out Public Enemy, Del the Funky Homosapien, Blue Scholars – to name a few. (From the last I’d particularly suggest the song ‘Ordinary Guy’ off ‘Bayani’, it’s a stitch)

As for new age music, well, for most of it I’d consider it a sin against your ears, but there’s no accounting for taste, I guess :shrug:

okay, I kinda dig Kitaro…

Nope, not at all. Catholics listen to pretty much the entire spectrum of music out there of all genres and traditions.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.