Is it a sin to play videogames that make use of christian-jewish "mythology"?

I am referring to the videogame Bayonetta, its sequel will be released in a few months and it is a critically acclaimed action game.
The game is made by non christian japanese for whom angels are demons are just exotic mythology for which they feel nothing like greek gods for modern westerners.

The character is a witch that kills angels and summons demmons, in the new game she goes to hell to rescue a friend and kills demons too.
The angels and demons are like gigantic monsters with physical bodies that can be killed, and not spiritual beings, and the god of that videogame is like a giant female metal statue that can be killed by punching it into the sun.
So, it isn’t really accurate, they are like godzilla.

Here you can see the E3 trailer from last year (warning, the character poses sexily)
youtube.com/watch?v=amFu1hsOtuM

That doesn’t affect me, but the whole thing of using angels and demons for the videogame bothers me, like I am afraid I would be blaspheming by playing this.

Sorry if I mispelled something, I am not a native English speaker

I’m probably not the best person to ask, as I’m an old lady who plays Gardens of Time and that’s it. I do have 5 kids --all grown though—and several of them are big time gamers. There is no sin in playing virtually any video game you enjoy—as long as you are able to distinguish between what is real and what is a game and don;t let it impact your own life, Personally, that game sounds better to me than that “Grand Theft Auto3” or whatever, but as my son tells me, it’s all just a dumb game and no more, So if you are mentally stable and want to play it do so. Just remember that whether the object of a game is killing a demon, collecting stolen cars or finding hidden objects for points–it’s all just a game! Oh, I didn’t ask–but how old are you? If you’re just a kid, then you should let your parents decide what’s an acceptable game for you to play. My grown son lets his junior high age son play that "Grand Theft Auto: and we’ve had a ton of fights over it because I think a kid under 18 is too young for that particular game. Now my son is 37. If he wants to play it, I think that is a little different.:thumbsup:

Firstly, yes you can and I wouldn’t be too worried about references to Jewish mythology in this game, short of the demons Queen Sheeba and Gomorrah and four of the senior Laguna (Angels) who are named after the Cardinal virtues this game isn’t based on Judeao-Christian mythos or belief. If anything it’s probably closer to Theistic Buddhism since it is implied in Bayonetta 2 that there is more than one God and obviously since Bayonetta kills Jubileus they are not all powerful.

At first I thought this was a joke.

This is a game where you get to fantasize about being an occult being who is an enemy to God, then kills God’s allies and helps God’s enemies.

Hhhhmmmm, let me think about it for a second…

Jesus says sinning begins in the mind. You say you want to play a game in which you fantasize about being an enemy of God. What do you think the best thing to do is?

Rather extreme no? While Bayonetta clearly isn’t going to be getting an airing on Anglican TV anytime soon with how hypersexualized she is by your attitude are you not also obligated to reject the works of Shakespeare? I mean after all he wrote plays about all sorts of different sins.

At first I thought this was a joke.

This is a game where you get to fantasize about being an occult being who is an enemy to God, then kills God’s allies and helps God’s enemies.

Hhhhmmmm, let me think about it for a second…

Jesus says sinning begins in the mind. You say you want to play a game in which you fantasize about being an enemy of God. What do you think the best thing to do is?

SECONDED.

OP, I suggest you keep away from every installment in this franchise.

Now that you explain what the game is, I would only respectfully ask why you’d want to play it anyway? I still don’t think playing any game is necessarily sinful unless you let it take hold of your life. However, some games are just plain stupid and offensive—and why would you want to play it? If it were a game where you earned points and went up levels by raping women or killing babies, would you enjoy playing that game–even if it didn’t cause you to go out and rape a woman or kill a baby?:shrug:

I don’t want to play it because of that. I want to play it because of the gameplay and the visuals, which is basically killing giant monsters. It is the story what keeps from playing it, if the creators instead of calling those beings angels had called aliens I wouldnt have a problem.

I am pretty sure I will not play the game. But not so much because I think it is sinful, but because I think that by not supporting it the Japanese may learn to not use christian-jewish symbols for their videogames.

I don’t exactly think it is sinful to play a game like that. Yeah your a witch fighting demons and angles but its not exactly Christian mythology. Its basically a completely different concept. All it is is someone else’s imaginations… you know “fiction”. I mean just because something has “angles and demons” does not mean they are the angles and demons we mean when we talk about our faith. For example in Dr. Who one of the bad guys are called “Weeping Angles” that teleport you when you look at them… but they are not the angles we mean. I rather play the game you are talking about over Assassins Creed, that game actually bothers me because the bad guys are the Kights Templar.

Idk what do i know

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.