Is it a sin to pray to God while in the state of mortal sin?

What if you committed a mortal sin? Can you continue your usual prayer with God?

No, it isn’t a sin. If it was we couldn’t ask for forgiveness.

No it is not a sin. In fact that is what we are to do…run to the Good Shepherd in prayer and then in confession.

I agree. Prayer is needed more at that sort of time more than any other. :thumbsup:

No. In fact, that’s one of the best ways to get out of a state of mortal sin is to ask for God’s grace and help.

May the grace of the Holy Spirit fill our hearts with light. May He help us to make sincere confessions of our sins, and lead us to repentance. Amen.

It is THE very best time to pray my brother. Just remember to confess and make it right.

This is a pet peeve of mine. If you sin, mortal or venial, pray, ask for forgiveness, then make it right as soon as you can.

The pet peeve? Those who suggest prayer is worthless from someone in mortal sin. You just can’t drag it out forever, thats all. Pray… be heard, then confess. Youll be ok.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Absolutely, but they shouldn’t be for requests that don’t have anything to do with improving your state of relationship with Him. Until one has made his penance and received absolution, prayers should be oriented to requests for ways to improve and help in making better decisions,etc; in that vein, and really show it is meant.

Does anyone find it very difficult to pray while in a state of mortal sin? How can one’s prayers be effective while in mortal sin - your relationship with God is COMPLETELY severed at that moment.

I sometimes think I always manage to receive the grace to find my way back through the prayers of those who are in a state of grace.

The relationship is not severed and we will receive necessary sustaining grace meanwhile. While we are alive there is always a way we can regain that friendship. One who is severed is in hell. For the contrite offender, Christ instituted his sacrament of reconciliation for that purpose. Of course playing russion roulette while in a state of mortal sin is a risky business, besides, receiving some sacraments in this state is nullified by the ill disposed, reason enough to be hasty. As well as praying, one should be scheduling a means to confess as a top priority, and the degree of determination will weigh in as to the effectiveness of his prayer.

I concur, as we truly are severed from the mystical body of Christ when we are in that state, and from what I understand, even our prayers and good works are not meritorious for a person.

Edit:

Now that I think about it, I thought I had remembered reading somewhere that if a person who knows himself to be in mortal sin, but refuses to ask for forgiveness because of hardness of heart,etc., but still prays to God asking for things, outside of repairing one’s relationship with God, is yet, another sin. Has anybody else heard something like this?

It is only completely severed if the person dies in mortal sin. The way I think of it, sin is like dirt covering the soul. The more serious the sin and the more times committed, the more the soul becomes caked in this dirt. Some of God’s grace can still get through but it’s greatly dampened. It can get to the point where a person can barely feel God anymore, making further sin easier to commit. They pray to God but never feel like He answers. Once the person does a good confession though, their soul is clean again and can receive the full grace.

I disagree. I’ve always been taught that Mortal Sin completely and totally destroys one’s ties and relationship with God.

I think you guys may be conflating completely severing the relationship for **permanently ** severing the relationship.

This is a pet peeve to you, it’s Novitian heresy to me.

Benedicat Deus,
Latinitas

Mortal sin doesn't destroy the habits the soul has acquired through grace. Nor does it destroy the light of faith, which is certainly a tie and an essential part of the 'relationship to God' (one reason I hate the term 'relationship with God' -- far too ambiguous). It doesn't destroy the light of conscience; it may not destroy the sense of guilt. God is present to the person as He is too all His creatures.

If it were, then we wouldn’t have the penitential psalms, especially psalm 51, the magnificent Misere, in the scriptures.

God awaits us with open arms to return to Him; He desires our prayer with the whole of His being. If our usual prayers include a strong awareness of our weakness and our failure, and allow us to throw ourselves wholly on His mercy, this will strengthen and improve our prayer in the future.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.