Is it a sin to quit speaking?

This may sound weird but I’m being serious with my question. I’d like to know if it is sinful to deliberately quit speaking, I mean, not due to a mental disoder or anything like that but because of own personal choice? If I just decide that I’ll never speak again, is it a sin or not?

Well…one needs to speak at some times at least (such as confession)…and for normal human activity. So it would seem contrary to reason. So I think it can be sinful perhaps.

That is not to say that to choose silence as normal way of life for much of life (become a Carthusian)- is not a very good way of life. But even Carthusians speak at regular times…and of course they chant the office.

Why would it be a sin? To choose another method of communication (non-verbal) is not sinful. In fact, often times making the choice to continue speaking is the sin :smiley:

But seriously, I can’t think of a reason choose to not speak would be sinful.

If it’s in order to be deceptive, or to spite others, or to avoid obligations, I think it could be sinful.

Jesus went alone to the desert from time to time, but he didn’t stay there.

Never speak again?

Totally weird. Sinful, no. Just REALLY strange!

One possible answer that occurs to me is this. It would depend, to a certain extent, on your purpose. What, exactly, are you expecting to gain by this move? I suppose we may assume that you work in a job which doesn’t require you to speak to anyone, whether face to face or on the telephone, since otherwise you would be proposing to voluntarily make yourself unemployable, which can’t be a good thing.

Yeah. Why in the world would a person be motivated to do this.
:confused:
OP: What has happened that you would feel like this is a good option for you?

No, it is not a sin.
trappists.org/visitor-questions/do-trappist-monks-and-nuns-take-vow-silence

But they still speak, it says so in the link you provided.

OP, why would you want to never speak again?

yup. The manner in which it was written seems like there is a point being made…to someone…over something.

Take a deep breath.
Maybe things will look differently in the morning. :shrug:

God gave us our voice, and death will choke it off all too soon.

Use it while you can!

ICXC NIKA

I think it is difficult to answer your question without knowing the context in which you are asking. Nonetheless, here are a couple passages from St. Faustina’s diary on silence:

Para 553: “Keeping silence when one ought to speak is an imperfection and sometimes even a sin.”

Para 477: “Silence is a sword in the spiritual struggle. A talkative soul will never attain sanctity. The sword of silence will cut off everything that would like to cling to the soul. We are sensitive to words and quickly want to answer back, without taking any regard as to whether it is God’s will that we should speak. A silent soul is strong; no adversities will harm it if it perseveres in silence. The silent soul is capable of attaining the closet union with God. It lives almost always under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. God works in a silent soul without hindrance.”

Even then, from what I understand, St. Faustina is referring to “inner silence”, so that one can hear God’s voice, His inspirations and guidance. See: thedivinemercy.org/library/article.php?NID=2619

Again, without knowing the context its hard to provide guidance. However generally speaking, most life circumstances require that one speak. God gave some of us the grace to communicate verbally with one another, we ought not to take this for granted. Moreover circumstances may arise when one ought to speak, and in that case – again generally speaking – I would consider it to be a sin, that is a sin of omission.

May God bless you :slight_smile:

Josie

I just feel like it’d be a good way too keep other people “far away” from me. Like, if I wouldn’t talk to anyone they wouldn’t be too “near/close” to me. It’s really hard to explain… But if I wouldn’t talk to anyone it’d be like I built a barrier around me that would protect me from other people and keep them away.
Besides, I don’t have anything smart to say and nobody really cares what I say or listens to me so what’s the point? I could keep others away and others wouldn’t have to hear me speak so it’s a win-win.

hmmm.

So, what, in your opinion is your calling?
Dialog is how people communicate, whether it be sadness, derision, joy, curiosity, debate, or in giving prudent advise. You’re saying that these things never ever come up in your world?
Are you convinced that no one cares what you think? Or are you young and maybe reluctant to hear another point of view?
What is “smart” to you? The Apostles often said a lot of things that Jesus corrected them about. Thank goodness for us! That’s how we and everyone else learns. I’m glad they spoke. I’m glad that the scribes wrote down all of the debate, accusations, and dialog between tribes, leaders, and disciples.
I humbly suggest, that locking yourself away and refusing to communicate would only reinforce any negative or odd opinions that people have.
Why give that kind of ammunition? Speak with factual evidence, report with accuracy, study for little known details, inquire sincerely.
All of these things make you well-rounded and command respect for your viewpoint.
Removing yourself socially is not wise. Hey, you might be the kind of person that has very few truly close friends or a confidant even. That’s fine. But surely you have family. Why would you want to hurt them by cutting them out of your life? (because that’s what it would do)
How would you manage at school/work?

What happened that you need “protection from”? You don’t have to answer that, but take sometime to think about it. Does someone need forgiveness that hurt you? Regardless of whether they ask fro forgiveness or accept your forgiveness, once you do it, YOU will feel way better. Whatever is eating you…let it go. :slight_smile:
God bless.

Just random thoughts.

How would you draw people to the faith if you stopped speaking? You cant just ‘shut down’ and go live life as a hermit and still be a christian, we are required to bring people to the faith, to the church.

Yes, you can

"…And as Pope Francis reminds us, “it is a good opportunity to thank the Lord for the gift of so many people who, in monasteries and hermitages, dedicate themselves to God in prayer and silent work.”
cloisteredlife.com/category/reflection-on-contemplative-life/

But they are there because it is God’s will for them to live a life of prayer, not to cut themselves off from people. Besides, monastics DO speak at appointed times. They do not live a life cut off totally from one another. without speaking. They live in community. Even hermits interact with people. They may give spiritual direction or even teach. It is unlikely that any monastery that observes silence would admit a person in if they just wanted to cut themselves off from others. That is not the purpose of the monastic life.

I wish I knew who this was, but an early Christian decided to live as a hermit so he could get away from temptations, but even in the desert, he was tempted horribly.

And some of the most important things we can say are not “smart:” when we tell someone we love them, for example. Look at the Spiritual Acts of Mercy: instruct the ignorant, admonish the sinner, comforting the sorrowful,… a friendly word can lift another’s spirits and our own.

And we should say our prayers aloud.

I think maybe you have a problem for which this may not be the best solution.

You sound like you have been hurt by people and are shutting down or shutting them out. I think it’s okay to be silent, but don’t be nursing your wounds in silence. It would be better to let the offender(s) know how you feel. A grudge kept in silence can grow to be monsterous. Here is a great poem by William Blake:

A Poison Tree

By William Blake

I was angry with my friend;

I told my wrath, my wrath did end.

I was angry with my foe:

I told it not, my wrath did grow.

And I waterd it in fears,

Night & morning with my tears:

And I sunned it with smiles,

And with soft deceitful wiles.

And it grew both day and night.

Till it bore an apple bright.

And my foe beheld it shine,

And he knew that it was mine.

And into my garden stole,

When the night had veild the pole;

In the morning glad I see;

My foe outstretched beneath the tree.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.