Is it a sin to reconfess sins?

Is it a sin to reconfess sins, say for example if you didn’t hear the words of absolution before, and wanted to repeat the Sacrament?

Something tells me this is probably really wrong/ sacrilegious/ profaning the Sacrament.

Are you o.k.?

No it is not a sin. It is a recommended practice.

One is not repeating the Sacrament …one is adding already confessed sins to a new confession with other sins.

One needs to avoid scruples here…and those with such a difficulty should follow the direction of their regular confessor.

If one knows the words of absolution were invalid…or where not used…then one would confess them…

As to already absolved sins…yes one may mention them…perhaps with deeper contrition…again. For example one could say “and I renew my sorrow past sins of the murder 2x”

But one should not “redo” confessions out of scrupulosity…

Reread what he wrote.

“…say for example if you didn’t hear the words of absolution…”

Have any of you ever heard of a priest screwing up a person’s confession to the extent that the person had to reconfess their sins?

You’re in a Catholic Church.

The priest is a validly ordained Catholic priest.

What else - besides the words of absolution - would a Catholic priest be speaking after he hears a person’s confession?

yes… to the post just above.

=Tannhauser;7629842]Is it a sin to reconfess sins, say for example if you didn’t hear the words of absolution before, and wanted to repeat the Sacrament?

Something tells me this is probably really wrong/ sacrilegious/ profaning the Sacrament.

If like me you have a serious hearing loss; simply look at the priest. IF he Bleses your; DONE DEAL, sins forgiven so long as you UNDERSTAND what the “pennance” is. If you don’t ASK the priest to tell you again.

Now as to the Actual OPQ…

It could be IF a person simply denies that the previous Confession was licit and valid. In other words IF thre is an issue of unbeleif.

God Bless,
Pat

Back in the Pre Vatican II days you could hardly hear the absolution and it was in Latin. You don’t have to hear it to have it be a valid confession.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.