Is it a sin to sample food when not hungry?

Is it a sin to eat or sample food when you are not hungry? I know gluttony is definitely a sin. What about when you are full or not hungry but then you want to eat or drink something just to try for a sample. I don’t eat or drink big portions. I usually consume enough just to get the taste. Like i’ll eat or drink small samples of food and drink.

Gluttony is commonly described as eating when you are painfully full or in the words of Mark Hart from 101 Things Every Catholic Teen Should Know

Gluttony: The desire to indulge in any type of food or drink to satisfy our hunger - even our hunger for heaven - We eat and drink as much as we can letting our desire for food and drink consume us.

sampling is sampling. meaning small taste! Now if you literally just walked out of an all you can eat buffet and into a Costco on a Saturday and ate every sample thats a different story. including that delicious dark chocolate covered coconut they’ve had for a few weeks yum! haha

definition of gluttony: derived from the Latin gluttire meaning to gulp down or swallow, means over-indulgence and over-consumption of food, drink, or wealth items to the point of extravagance or waste

of course not, you are not sinning at all.

That’s not sampling then. That’s gluttony :slight_smile:

But looking at ProdigalSon1211’s situation, there’s no way on earth it is a sin.

please talk to your priest. this is an extremely scrupulous question.

Unless it’s in the extreme, eating when you’re not hungry isn’t guttony.

Relax.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.