Is it a sin to sleep in

is it a sin to sleep in

What makes you think it would be? Which commandment would this break?

If you're tired or tired and need to sleep, it's the right thing to do.
Sleep is an important element of human health and recovery.
If it is symptomatic of depression then a person needs to seek help/cultivate trust in God/meditate in the peace of God...
If you sleep in to simply to avoid rightful responsibilities and duties, there can be some problems there...

If it prevents you from keeping another commandment...

Example:
You stay up late Saturday night. You sleep in. Your alarm clock goes off Sunday morning. You put it to sleep/turn it off/unplug it/destroy it... You end up not going to church that weekend. Bam!

I agree with Trishie, if it is for the right reasons I see no problem.
If it is for the wrong reasons or to avoid your responsibilities then maybe
you can speak with someone about it and they can help you.
Otherwise everyone does need sleep. I have slept in myself at times.

God Bless!::sleep:

If the reason you're sleeping in is to avoid doing God's will for you, yes it could be a sin.

If it's to seek comfort at the expense of your duty (caring for your children, doing your professional work promptly, etc.) yes it could be a sin.

If you're in a state of life where no one else depends on you.....for service, for product, for deliverables, for advice....then what are you doing, how are you serving God and your fellow man.

Not anything to worry or obsess over but something to take to prayer and perhaps a short examination of conscience.

: >

I surely hope not, lol... I do it every chance I get. Which isn't very often, mind you, but when it is an option I sure jump on it :D

I certainly hope not! I do so nearly every Saturday morning! Do NOT call me before 10 am!

When I am only getting 5-6 hours of sleep per night during the week, and I NEED 8-9 hours, I have to make up the deficit somewhere. I also took a delicious 3 hour nap this afternoon! :thumbsup:

Our church has two masses Saturday four masses Sunday morning, and mass Sunday night how many masses do they have at your church? if you go with any of the parishes around my house you could catch a mass 4-5-6- on Sat. 6am to noon then from 5:00 all the way to 8:00 Sun night! God Bless and get some rest.

[quote="RuthByzCat3, post:4, topic:234042"]
If it prevents you from keeping another commandment...

Example:
You stay up late Saturday night. You sleep in. Your alarm clock goes off Sunday morning. You put it to sleep/turn it off/unplug it/destroy it... You end up not going to church that weekend. Bam!

[/quote]

Just throwing this out there, but I was under the impression that there were three parts if you will that make something a sin. Surely if you did not purposely mean to sleep in and miss church (accidents happen) it is not a sin. Then again I'm far from well versed in all the teachings of the Church so take my thoughts with a grain on salt.

[quote="Bporte00, post:10, topic:234042"]
Just throwing this out there, but I was under the impression that there were three parts if you will that make something a sin. Surely if you did not purposely mean to sleep in and miss church (accidents happen) it is not a sin. Then again I'm far from well versed in all the teachings of the Church so take my thoughts with a grain on salt.

[/quote]

vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p3s1c1a8.htm

This is what you are refering to I think.

We do need to be hoest with ourselves about our emotions and our real intentions, but I think from previous posts our innocent-hearted OP does worry about a range of things, and is probably thinking about a simple matter of extra sleep.

[quote="RuthByzCat3, post:4, topic:234042"]
Example:

[/quote]

It depends on your state of mind. Let's make a few of versions of your example to illustrate:

Option 1
Your alarm clock goes off on Sunday morning. You are in a complete stupor as you turn off the alarm. When you do wake up, you are surprised and dismayed to discover that you have missed Mass.

This is not a sin, because missing Mass was an accident. There are 2 things to keep in mind though. First, you should look into the possibility of attending another Mass in your local area, like a Sunday evening Mass if there is one.

Option 2
Same as Option 1, except that this has happened several times in the past. In this case, missing Mass itself was still an accident, but a person who makes the same mistake over and over again may not really WANT to correct the mistake. You will need to ask yourself what is going on in your life that is making it so hard to get up on Sunday, and how you can find a way to get to Mass, either by choosing a better time (like Saturday evening), or by changing your Saturday night activities. It might even be worth bringing up in confession.

Option 3
Your alarm goes off, but you've gotten such a small amount of sleep that you seriously believe that you will not be safe to drive to church in your state. I would think that this would be fairly extreme - but can imagine a scenario where it would be ok to miss Mass. Again, refer to Option #2 as far as judging your priorities and habits if this is something that happens multiple times.

Option 4
Your alarm goes off on Sunday morning. You wake up, fully realize that you need to get to Mass, but decide that you are so tired that you'd rather sleep in than get to Mass. You wake up later on, realizing that you did in fact miss Mass and you are not surprised.

This one is the most likely to be sinful, because it sounds as though you made the DECISION to miss mass, and it wasn't a mistake. Even in this situation though, it is possible that you were only 1/2 awake, or not thinking clearly enough to be fully culpable for your judgment, so I can't say with certainty that you have committed a sin in this case. It would depend on your state of mind.

***I would like to point out, that even when it is sinful, it is not the sleeping in that is the sin. Rather it is the intentional missing of Mass, or hypothetical irresponsible behavior on Saturday night, or apathy about your faith. Unless it is an inordinate amount of sleep, sleep is an objectively good thing. It just has to be scheduled into your day properly.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.