Is it a sin to smoke and drink?

Is it a sin to smoke and drink:

[LIST]
*]moderately
*]excessively
[/LIST]

moderately–generally, no
excessively–by definition, yes

“Use a little wine for the sake of your stomach and your frequent ailments.” (1 Timothy 5:23)
Furthermore, Jesus passed out wine for his followers to drink at the last supper. And Jesus’ very first miracle in the Gospels was at a wedding feast, which occurred after his mother told him they had run out of wine. Then Jesus had the servants fill 6 big stone jars with water and turned it all into wine for those at the wedding feast (John 2:3-9).
Drinking excessively could be sinful, but while some Protestants prohibit any alcohol, that is not a Catholic belief.
Nor have I ever heard it sinful to smoke from any official source of Catholic teaching, Popes or councils or even moral theologians or parish priests.
Not that it may be better not to smoke–but I have not heard that it is sinful to smoke,

What youngTradCath said.

Even in scripture, in the letters in the New Testament there is a passage where a young Timothy, I think, is told to have a little wine for his stomach by St… Paul. Anything done in excess is not good.

No, it is not a sin, but also very hard to determinate when it transfers in to a sin. From The CCC: (free translation from Finnish, I have not yet been able to buy a English one.) " “Excessive use of drugs, ( prescription drugs) alcohol or smoking is a sin”. Well, what is smoking to much? That is up to us to find out, and using prescription drugs, or other, when we don’t need them, or taking more then we are supposed to take, or drinking with the INTENTION to get drunk is a sin. But the question about how many cigarettes is to much remain unanswered I think. Maybe some other member have a better view then your truly?

It is certainly not a sin to smoke and drink moderately but it is to do so to excess.
The problem is that the Church does not define what excessive smoking and drinking means. It may mean different levels to different people.

Most of us generally know when we’re going too far. If I have a smoke once in a while, that’s probably okay if I’m generally healthy. But if I know my body is particularly sensitive to smoking and it causes me more serious health issues, then I know I shouldn’t be doing it.

Personally, I very rarely do either, because I feel it does me harm. But I know people who drink wine everyday and it is actually a health benefit for them. Smoking doesn’t seem to have any health benefits and can cause many health problems, but in moderation I don’t see a problem. Just try to be in tune with your body and its limits. Its similar with diet and anything else you do with your body and soul.

Anything in excess is bad, of course.

Drinking and smoking are anything but virtuous. Go for the gold, one should ignore their desire to drink and smoke and seek Christian virtues.

Coincidentally or providentially, I was reading through the Ask the Apologist forum; one questioner is directed to
What is the Church’s stand on drinking and gambling?

A search for “tobacco” yields
Is smoking tobacco sinful?

Both answers point to paragraph 2290 of the Catechism, which should be read in context.

2290 The virtue of temperance disposes us to avoid every kind of excess: the abuse of food, alcohol, tobacco, or medicine. [paragraph continues]

In particular, paragraph 2288 begins this section and provides a basic perspective on health, and 2291 discusses the use of drugs:

2291 The use of drugs inflicts very grave damage on human health and life. Their use, except on strictly therapeutic grounds, is a grave offense. [paragraph continues]

Both “Ask an Apologist” answers here mention temperance instead of necessarily full abstinence. (Here I add that if Christians were supposed to avoid drinking altogether, certain parts of Europe would have noticeably different landscapes and cuisine.) In particular, the answer for tobacco stresses making an informed decision, and certainly many people, when thinking about the use of tobacco, will choose to abstain completely.

You need to totally respect your body and your wellbeing.

“Didn’t you realise that you were God’s temple and that the Spirit of God was living among you? If anybody should destroy the temple of God, God will destroy him, because the temple of God is sacred; and you are that temple.” -1 Corinthians 3:16-17

I personally have a scrupulous conscience that I believe stems from my diagnosed mental issues with OCD and anxiety.

With that said, I feel in my heart that smoking cigarettes is a venial sin against the 5th commandment, causing definite harm to our body. I also believe that we should try to place our trust and daily suffering in the Lord rather than sensual release and escapism as much as possible, which most vices typically fall and can result in addictions.

Regarding alcohol, in moderation there is no sin. Getting tipsy partying with friends or having a few glasses of wine to de-stress could be venial in certain cases. I think mortal sin should be reserved for getting very drunk, with results ranging from vomiting, blacking-out, the “spins”, and most importantly losing the sense of reason.

Marijuana really MUST be addressed by the Church very soon; and often! - that will be the most complicated of the three (regular users or previous users will understand me)

Listen to your conscience but do not beat yourself up.

Thank you for that very informative answer.

hi,here in england we have a massive binge drinking culture,which is grotesque and out of control.
i dont think drinking is sinful,the bible has many examples of wine in particular being drunk,but at the same time condemns drunkenness,which is excessive.
God has a way of showing us when we over do it.if we drink too much we get hangovers,if we eat too much we put on weight.
moderation is the key i think.you can do it,but dont over do it!

You are then saying Jesus was not virtuous because he drank wine!!

Drinking occasionally is acceptable, for the various reasons outlined by previous posters.

Smoking at all is intrinsically sinful, at least in this day and age when we know smoking harms the smoker and those around him/her - it is a violation of the 5th commandment against killing. As Fr. John Corapi has said, “Anyone who smokes these days is a moron, in plain English.”

You’re welcome, but thank the people who generated this material in the first place! I should’ve thought about searching earlier, especially after I remembered that I’d just done the equivalent thing not too long before in another thread. :stuck_out_tongue:

(If you’re curious, the “Ask an Apologist” thread that I mentioned earlier but without specifics :stuck_out_tongue: was “Is it a sin to gamble?”)

Here I’m reminded of a recent thread:
was the “wine” at the time of Jesus different from the modern day “wine”

As you may guess, no one there argued that “wine at the time of Jesus” (and the wine that was mentioned, consumed, produced, and transformed by Jesus) was actually unfermented grape juice. :smiley:

As my previous post here should imply, I can easily see someone believing so. (I’ve never smoked and have no intention of adopting the habit.)

No, I did not intend to take drinking to that trivial of a degree.

“People are people
So why should it be
You and I shouldn’t get along”

Then why say it? Trying to impose your will on us again!

Please stop the slander. It’s not Christ-like.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.