Is it a sin to smoke weed?

Is marijuana smoking sinful? If so, Mortal or Venial? If it's a sin, why did God create it? Does smoking cannabis become non-sinful if it is legal or for medical purposes(and is legal)? Thanks,

Man made weed, God made booze, who do you trust? Kidding, that was an old 70s bumber sticker . In all honesty I think we can categorize weed in the same vain as alcohol as far as scripture. It is the abuse of the substance that would be sinful. Drinking is not sinful, only if it causes drunkenness. If pot is not abused, it should not be sinful.

However in many states pot is illegal so breaking the law would be sinful.

[quote="Adam1996, post:1, topic:301392"]
Is marijuana smoking sinful? If so, Mortal or Venial? If it's a sin, why did God create it? Does smoking cannabis become non-sinful if it is legal or for medical purposes(and is legal)? Thanks,

[/quote]

You have to look at two different aspects of sinfulness in regard to smoking marijuana. The first is legality, whenever it is illegal to smoke it, it is also sinful to do it. As far as I know federal law says that consumption of marijuana is illegal in the USA. Now let us assume that using marijuana is legal for medical purposes, then it is not sinful to use it for those specific medical purposes. Finally let us assume that smoking marijuana is legal independent of the reasons, then you can see that in the cases of non medical purposes it is still sinful because its properties do not allow you to practice the virtue of temperance. There is an interesting talk by a seminarian/deacon/priest about it on iTunes itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/catholic-stuff-you-should/id412678859 see podcast #71: The Ethical Question of Marijuana

Abortion is legal.

peace

We are still called to obey laws, unless they are unjust. It’s not an unjust law to ban weed, therefore, it must be obeyed.

[quote="johnnyjones, post:2, topic:301392"]
Man made weed, God made booze, who do you trust? Kidding, that was an old 70s bumber sticker . In all honesty I think we can categorize weed in the same vain as alcohol as far as scripture. It is the abuse of the substance that would be sinful. Drinking is not sinful, only if it causes drunkenness. If pot is not abused, it should not be sinful.

However in many states pot is illegal so breaking the law would be sinful.

[/quote]

Non-medicinal use of pot IS abuse - the only reason people smoke it is "to get high" - abuse, by definition.

[quote="johnnyjones, post:2, topic:301392"]
Man made weed, God made booze, who do you trust? Kidding, that was an old 70s bumber sticker . In all honesty I think we can categorize weed in the same vain as alcohol as far as scripture. It is the abuse of the substance that would be sinful. Drinking is not sinful, only if it causes drunkenness. If pot is not abused, it should not be sinful.However in many states pot is illegal so breaking the law would be sinful.

[/quote]

*God *made weed, *Man *made booze, who do you trust? :D I remember that bumper sticker too.

I agree with what I bolded up there. BUT breaking the law isn't always sinful. There are unjust laws, like the Jim Crow laws before Civil Rights.

Hazcompat points out that abortion is legal. Good point. We know that abortion is sin despite the fact that anyone getting one is doing something legal.

Weed inebriates far more faster than booze. I speak from experience. Weed damages the lungs as booze damages the liver. They both can damage the brain.

The Church embraces moderation in such things. But, right now, buying marijuana supports either terrorism in the Middle East or the constant violence in Mexico between the drug cartels. Smoking weed therefore (at this moment of history) makes you complicit with the murders south of the border, so, at this moment in history, it would be a sin.

Back when sailors were "smoking rope" it wasn't sinful.

I think I did a good job with that.

[quote="boldlygo, post:6, topic:301392"]
Non-medicinal use of pot IS abuse - the only reason people smoke it is "to get high" - abuse, by definition.

[/quote]

Then having a few drinks would be abuse. Your incorrect. If your breaking the law by smoking pot where it is illegal, then it is sinful. People have a drink to fell relaxed, catch a buzz, that is not abuse nor is it sinful.

Taking a few hits off a joint where it is legal is not abuse nor is it sinful.

You make some good points but pot in and of itself (smoking it) is not sinful unless your in a state where you are breaking their laws. I do see your point about other laws though. I speak from experience as well (too much experience).

I can't figure out why any sane, intelligent person would want to deliberately breathe the concentrated smoke from any burning substance.

[quote="Adam1996, post:1, topic:301392"]
If it's a sin, why did God create it?

[/quote]

Just because God created something doesn't mean we can smoke it.

From the Cathechism of the Catholic Church #2291, under *Respect for Health *:

The use of drugs inflicts very grave damage on human health and life. Their use, except on strictly therapeutic grounds, is a grave offense. Clandestine production of and trafficking in drugs are scandalous practices. They constitute direct co-operation in evil, since they encourage people to practices gravely contrary to the moral law.

catholicdoors.com/catechis/cat2258.htm#2291

God created arsenic too.

[quote="superamazingman, post:5, topic:301392"]
We are still called to obey laws, unless they are unjust. It's not an unjust law to ban weed, therefore, it must be obeyed.

[/quote]

Is it unjust for the starving to steal bread?

peace

[quote="johnnyjones, post:8, topic:301392"]
Then having a few drinks would be abuse. Your incorrect. If your breaking the law by smoking pot where it is illegal, then it is sinful. People have a drink to fell relaxed, catch a buzz, that is not abuse nor is it sinful.

Taking a few hits off a joint where it is legal is not abuse nor is it sinful.

[/quote]

No, I am NOT incorrect. Smoking pot to get high is wrong, just as consuming alcohol to "catch a buzz" is wrong. Both are abuse.

[quote="johnnyjones, post:9, topic:301392"]
You make some good points but pot in and of itself (smoking it) is not sinful unless your in a state where you are breaking their laws. I do see your point about other laws though. I speak from experience as well (too much experience).

[/quote]

Yes but I do think the culpability goes higher when we learn of the ramped up violence that's going on to get pot into the US (with all due respect to non US citizens on CAF--we do tend to get Americentric around here).

I really do agree that, in and of itself, marijuana isn't sinful. A study of its history reveals that it became illegal in the US as a function of racism against Mexican immigrants. The plant became demonized because they wanted to demonize the Mexicans and I wouldn't characterize it under the Catechism's prohibition against "drugs" as I also wouldn't include most alcohols as "drugs" in the destructive sense.

Pipe smoking, cigar smoking (except Cubans) and cigarette smoking are all legal.

Before you jump all over me, consider this: The nicotine in cigarettes is more addictive than morphine *(I quit smoking cigarettes just over a year ago, and I think about smoking cigarettes **EVERY DAY*. I stopped smoking pot in my early 20's and I *never *think about smoking a doob, or even wanting a doob, unless someone is smoking one near me, like at a Rush concert, or discussing the topic on Internet Forums :cool:).

So that's why I think marijuana, TODAY, can easily be subjected to the Catechism where it says "Clandestine production of and trafficking in drugs are scandalous practices. They constitute direct co-operation in evil, since they encourage people to practices gravely contrary to the moral law." I mean how many headless Mexicans have to be thrown out of vans and clog the roadways until we get the hint that the US drug habit is responsible for that?

****BUT if I could have a little pot of dirt, some Miracle Grow and a handful of pot seeds, I'd be sorely tempted to buy a water bottle and a sunlamp. :blush:

[quote="superamazingman, post:13, topic:301392"]
God created arsenic too.

[/quote]

...and the platypus. :D

[quote="boldlygo, post:15, topic:301392"]
No, I am NOT incorrect. Smoking pot to get high is wrong, just as consuming alcohol to "catch a buzz" is wrong. Both are abuse.

[/quote]

Catching a buzz is technically not sinful. Proceeding to get drunk is. Moderation.

[quote="Erich, post:11, topic:301392"]
Just because God created something doesn't mean we can smoke it.

[/quote]

It also doesn't mean that we can't try. :)

DaveBj: *I can't figure out why any sane, intelligent person would want to deliberately breathe the concentrated smoke from any burning substance. *

We are so used to the Nancy Reagan campaign of "Just Say No" that we forget what a cultural experience smoking has been all around the world throughout history. As recently as the 50's and 60's, you'd see doctors smoking in front of their patients during office visits and in hospitals.

I think I mean that it doesn't do any good to be "mystified" about the smoking habit in general. We are living in the most smoke-less time in all of history. The non-smokers are winning.

[quote="Nom_the_Wise, post:18, topic:301392"]
Catching a buzz is technically not sinful. Proceeding to get drunk is. Moderation.

[/quote]

"Catching a buzz" is not moderation. Where do you draw the line?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.