Is it a sin to use swear words?

I believe the question speaks for itself, but is it a sin to use swear words? Obviously there are uses of such words that would definitely be sinful, such as using them to hurt someone or using the F bomb in a sexual manner, and phrases like G** D*** are always sinful, but is the use of such words always sinful?

Your body is a temple to the Holy Spirit, including your mouth, and swear words are vulgarities. That’s what I’ll say about it.

I never blaspheme. But I love me some good swear words! I have no idea how a few letters put in a row can be a sin. Said in unjustifiable anger, sure. Or if someone would be scandalized by the words. Pope Francis swears. So does the president of the USA. I think the “outrage” of these words is overblown.

It is a sin.

Context matters. If I am on a witness stand in court, and asked to repeat what someone else has said there is no sin. Truthfully stating something that someone else said is not sinful.

In day to day use it normally is.

““Everything is lawful,” but not everything is beneficial. “Everything is lawful,” but not everything builds up.”
‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭10:23‬ ‭NABRE‬

“No foul language should come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for needed edification, that it may impart grace to those who hear.”
‭‭Ephesians‬ ‭4:29‬ ‭NABRE‬‬

Don’t ask, “is it is a sin?” Instead, ask, “is it edifying to myself or others for the salvation of souls?”

Are they not the same thing?

This seems helpful.

Don’t you find a lot of people look back on their childhood to when they were five, six or seven years old perhaps and relish those days of innocence? I know that this may not be so for some but part of what I miss about those days was the simplicity of my language and thought. When I remember starting secondary school at 11 I remember a horrifying process of initiation into a very vulgar world and my little world was never the same again. Just a thought.

Blashemous swear words, definitely a no go.

But when it comes to non blaspemous ones, isn’t the border between swearing and just unwnding a bit of a grey area.

What about words such as gawd, heck, shuck, , etc. Obviously used to sound like the more offensive words they are intended to replace. But if all swearing is bad, aren’t we fooling ourselves if we are tolerant of those?

The perspective is different.

My take, it’s wrong if it offends. But not intrinsically wrong. So if you say, “f you” as an insult it’d be wrong, as you noted. And if you know the person you’re talking too someone you know is uncomfortable with swear words and say something like, “So I was having dinner at this place and the food was f’ing amazing!” that would be wrong because you’re intentionally using words you know make them uncomfortable. But if you’re with a buddy who doesn’t mind, even “f you” can potentially be endearing as opposed to insulting.

And as a final note in this post. When I asked my priest, he gave me the “it’s wrong if it offends” answer. I have read from other CAF posters that when they asked their priest, he gave them an answer where it was more intrinsically wrong. You may consider asking yours.

Ephesians 4:29 - “Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear.”

Colossians 3:8 - “But now you must put them all away: anger, wrath…and obscene talk from your mouth.”

Ephesians 5:4 - “Let there be no filthiness nor foolish talk nor crude joking, which are out of place, but instead let there be thanksgiving.”

Matthew 12:36 - “I tell you, on the day of judgment people will give account for every careless word they speak.”

Sounds to me like “bad words” are a thing and shouldn’t be said.

I agree with the posters that say if it’s meant to insult or offend, it’s wrong.

I know some holy priests who swear on occasion, usually to make a point. In fact, St. Paul actually says the Greek equivalent of S*** in Philippians 3:8, but it’s usually not translated that strongly into English.

So I’d say no, it’s not a sin. At least not intrinsically.

They’re not. Something that isn’t edifying isn’t necessarily sinful. At least, as far as I’m aware.

If I say I stepped in dog feces orbit stepped in dog s word there is no moral difference.

I think the fact that many people do think those words are wrong might be enough to cause scandal, so even if there is nothing inherently wrong with the words themselves, it’s still respectful to refrain from using them around people who might feel negatively about them. Instead of arguing about whether certain words are intrinsically wrong, perhaps take a more practical approach. If others would prefer you don’t use them, and if it won’t hurt you spiritually to not use them, why continue to use them around those people?

Just my two cents. :slight_smile:

Pope Francis swears? :thinking:

Source? I’ve never heard of him swearing before.

Amen. Even though any of us may stumble, the goal is control of the tongue so that your words may be good and helpful.

Let’s say you stub your toe. You jump up and down and say bad words.

Then there is a little guy in the house, and you stub your toe. Instead of saying bad words, you yell ouch ouch ouch!! Why did you change your language? Because of love. It’s a response of love to curb your language around young children.

One day later on you stub your toe, but this time you yell Praise you Jesus! Thank you Jesus! Why did you change your language? Because of love. It’s a response of gratitude to God for how he loves us. Why shouldn’t we, as Christians, replace bad words with words of praise? Why can’t we model that for the world? Why can’t we honor God in this manner? Put away the old ways and put on the Light of Christ.

We spend too much time too close to the edge of sin. Let us aim higher!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.