Is it a sin to want to die

Is it a sin to want to die so you can just skip to the part where you’re in heaven and closer to God. It’s not asking God to take you now even if it’s against his will but just that strong yearning to be in heaven already. Is that a sin?

Read Philippians 1:20 and following. Also 2 Corinthians 5.:1-10.

Philippians 1:20-23. Paul talks about this and gives a pretty good answer.

Oops, somebody beat me

Great minds here! :smiley: Check 2 Cor 5 as well.

The short and easy route leads to the dark side. -star wars :smiley:

Depending on the circumstances. When my 92 year old grandmother wanted to die despite there being nothing really wrong with her, I believe she was less culpable than someone half her age would have been. She had convinced herself that it was the right thing in that situation and that is a sickness in itself.

Sometimes I don’t want to exist at all.

Have faith please. It will be ok.

I sympathize with the yearning to be in Heaven, but I think it is wrong if it’s because we don’t want to deal with our troubles in the here and now or want to check out from our responsibilities.

I think we have to accept where we are and the crosses that we have to carry. God wants us to rely on His grace and ask Him for the strength to carry our cross daily.

And I empathize, because I am struggling with this, too.

And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 2 Cor 12:9

No. On the contrary – to yearn ardently for Heaven is precisely the right wish, and indeed death is the gateway to it. But Heaven is only accessible to perfect souls. Our time in this world allows us to work toward that perfection under the guidance of the Holy Spirit. So as long as there remains the possibility of “fruitful works” (Phillipians 1:22), one should not hasten one’s departure.

P.S. Some Bible translations have “fruitful labor”, which is unfortunate, because the authoritative Latin (“fructus operis”) does not connote physical activity at all.

Quite honestly, we are called, like Saint Paul, to agree to suffer and continue suffering - for the sake of the Kingdom of God. That means we have work left to do. If you did not, the Lord would have already called you - via sickness, accident or whatever means pleases Him.

We all suffer. We do not enjoy suffering, but we could if we followed in the footsteps of the great Saints such as Teresa of Avila and John of the Cross. Offer your suffering, your desolation, your loneliness, your depression up for the conversion of sinners - for but one charitable act.

I know that I have more suffering waiting ahead. I agree to it due to the good that God alone can bring from it.

As long as you don’t start dressing in black, reciting Goth poetry and listening to Death Metal, is think you’ll be just fine. :sunglasses:

Why do you consider it a “sickness in itself” for your grandmother to have wished for her departure at the age of 92? (I don’t intend to be argumentative about this. I’m just wondering about it. To me it seems that 92 is a fine age to feel that it’s been enough, you’ve done your part, etc., and to want to move on to “greener pastures”.)

She was physically not bad and could have lived comfortably for a good long time. I didn’t go deep into the details of the situation but she wasn’t in her right mind as a result of poor medicine advice from people who weren’t doctors and the fact that other matters were involved.

Probably, if you seriously entertain the thought. I’m trying to think of some analogies.
the elite Olympic athlete who wants to win gold, without training?
anyone who wants the glory without the guts I guess.
No pain, no gain?
No cross, no resurrection?
And you need to finish off the 42 km run. Even if you are crawling on your hands and knees at the end. There seems to be something important about endurance until the very end.

because there tends to be pain at the end of a marathon, so there can be at the end of our lives.
Yes we’d all like the reward without effort but it’s "thy will be done’ until our last breath, I’m a fraud. (I’m afraid I mean)

this might be a bit offtopic but I quit a job once that felt like a nightmare. it was like Hell going in there everyday. In hindsight now, I ask myself whether I should have at least stayed a year or two longer, for financial security. I wonder if I was truly close to Jesus Christ then, I might have been able to stand the daily suffering. There have been a few times in my life when I’ve run away, instead of staying to face the “music”.
I thought that anecdote might have some relevance.

God created us with love - to love him -
cleanse ourselves from our sins - and offer ourselves up - to his service.

I already wear black, write poetry and listen to heavy rock :joy:. But that’s just a personal preference. Not much to do with this.

If what you describe is the intent, rather than to escape the entrapments of life on earth, no, it is not a sin.

St. Paul expressed similar thought.

However, if it transcends the purity of the desire to be with God to the point where one takes his life, the threshold might be crossed.

But, in case you are wondering, this does not mean that those committing suicide have committed mortal sin…if that’s the impetus of your post.

Once upon a time, we summarily dismissed those who committed suicide as having lost any attempt at salvation. We now have come to realize that the act might not have had all the essentials of mortal sin.

Pax et bonum!

There’s a Priest / exorcist - that I watched on youtube - and he said -
In order to find out if someone - could be possessed -
he’d ask them 3-4 questions -
what type of music they listened to - how they dressed -
if they drank - or did any drugs -
if they were social or not - ( for starters )
The lecture was in front of college kids - place was jam packed with students.
Kinda cool to watch -

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.