Is it a sin to want to win

When I do things like in video games I like to win becuse I think its fun to win is it a sin to want to win in things

I don’t see why that’d be a sin unless you’re being a jerk about it or cheating in order to win.

No, that’s not a sin unless you want to win so badly it leads you to sin (cheating, being horrible to others, ect). The desire to win is the desire to be your best and use your talents (even if it’s just a video game). That’s the pursuit of good!

Otherwise, playing all games would basically be sinful, because they’d be no fun if you weren’t honestly trying to win.

Come to think of it, if wanting to win a game were a sin, so would wanting to get an A on a test. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’d say its a sin to be a troll on a cath forum. Stevo

what does that mean?

I’m going to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he’s not a troll.
Yes, much of it does seem like trolling. However, his threads do indicate that he is very young, so it could just be that they are legitimate questions coming from someone of his age.

I don’t think he is trolling at all. Keep asking all the questions you want steve. I used to think wanting to win was a sin too.

No, its not a sin to want to win, what Karl Hess did to my Shox last night in the final four on the other hand. . . . :smiley:

Seriously though, the desire to want to win is not a sin. Arrogant pride, putting the desire to win over respecting someone else’s innate human dignity, cheating, lying, abusing power, or doing things that are unethical to just plain wrong yes.

I think it is a sin to not want to win. A dead spirit is the worst tragedy that can happen to a man. He would be better off dead physically, than murdering his own spirit. Those in hell all have dead spirits. Try to win, and when you win be happy that you won.

And someone who spends their time beating down the spirit of others is the image of evil. If a man can’t stand and fight like a man, and atleast say that he died as a man it is a tragedy. Someone who makes him feel like less of a man through humilitiation and embarrassment isn’t worth anything. There is a special place in hell for bullies.

A wise man once said, “You play to win the game! …Hello? You play to win the game! You don’t play it to just play it! You play to win! And I don’t care if you don’t have any wins, you play to win the game!”

In all seriousness, I think most of the others have explained it pretty well. As long as you maintain good sportsmanship (even if it’s not a sport you’re playing) then there’s no reason not to go for the win.

If it does not detract from your duties to God and society, is of a light nature(nothing in the vogue of the Culture of Death), and does not paint people or ethnic groups uncharitably I would say OK. The subject matter of these I’ve seen so far are violent and gory, but I haven’t any experience in this area.

I know of a diocese bishop who enjoys the same in his spare time. I assume not the latter of course.

Ask the following football coaches if they think it’s a sin to want to win.

Bo Pelini
Carl Pelini
Nick Sabin
Bob Stoops
Mike Stoops
Mark Stoops
Tom Coughlin

What do they all have in common? They are all Catholic.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.