is it a sin...

Hi all,

I have a question that I need help with.
A friend of mine was experiencing a very bad pain in her stomach area. When she went to the doctor, she found out that she was in a very early stage of pregnancy.
But unfortunately, the embryo was not in her uterus, which was why she felt all that pain.

The only option was to take that embryo out of her stomach immediately, because otherwise, it would be very dangerous to her health.

What is the catholic teaching regarding this kind of issue? Is it considered an abortion, and therefore she is in a state of mortal sin now?

Thanks in advance!

The embry is NOT in her stomach. It would be digested in no time if it were.

If the embryo is in a place that puts her life in danger, eg. a fallopian tube, it would be permissible to remove the tube to save her life. While this action would have the secondary ( unintended but unavoidable) consequence of destroying the embryo, it is permissible by Catholic moral theology.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.