Is it acceptable for a Catholic to completely avoid Confession?

Hello,

My wife is born and raised a Catholic, but she feels that she does not need the Sacrament of Pennance. She confesses her sins to Jesus/God and has the Faith to believe her sins are forgiven. I know that sounds distinctively Protestant in its belief, but is it acceptable by the church for this alternate method of Forgiveness? Thanks and God bless
:crossrc:

Hi,

No, it is not acceptable for a Catholic to confess one’s mortal sins directly to God INSTEAD of through the sacrament of Penance that the Lord Himself has provided for us. If one is in danger of death and no priest is available, then one has to hope that one’s contrition is perfect, i.e. one is repentant because of the offense the sin is to God and not merely because one wants to avoid hell.

Jesus did not give His Apostles and their successors the power and authority to forgive sins to have the faithful disregard such a gift. (Jn 20:23)

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.