Is it acceptable for me to pray the Holy Rosary?

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forums and had a question. I am sorry if it has been discussed before.

I am not Catholic, I am Episcopalian (though I am what is called "nosebleed Anglo-Catholic"), and I often pray the Holy Rosary (though without the Luminous Mysteries or Fatima Prayer, as neither of those were present in the Rosary at the time of England's break with Rome), ask for intercession from the Blessed Virgin and the Saints, etc.

I just wanted to know the Catholic view on this - is it acceptable for a non-Catholic to do this, or is it offensive in some way? Does the Blessed Virgin listen to non-Catholics (as I believe she does) and intercede on their behalves?

I thank you for your responses.

Not offensive at all. It would only be offensive if you were somehow making a mockery of the rosary. I do believe Mary hears anybody prayers, Catholic or otherwise, and intecedes for all of us as needed. She is the mother to us all, I've always looked at it as people of other beliefs just refuse to acknowledge our relationship to her. I don't believe she'd ever turn her back on anybody when they invoke her protection.

Yes it is perfectly acceptable for a non-catholic to pray the rosary. Yes the Blessed Virgin listens to non-catholics.

[quote="Mystrx, post:3, topic:280786"]
Yes it is perfectly acceptable for a non-catholic to pray the rosary. Yes the Blessed Virgin listens to non-catholics.

[/quote]

I know I've had answers to my prayers to the Blessed Virgin, and I'm not Catholic.

Mary's job is to show the way to Christ, not just show the way to Christ only to those who can say the password and give the secret handshake. ;) It's cheering to know that others are appreciative of the rosary, and are able to recognize the profit and merit of her intercession.

:thumbsup:

Although praying the Rosary isn't exactly common among Protestants, you are certainly not alone. There are even some non-mainline Protestants who do so. It's a powerful prayer and will change your life, Catholic or not.

Absolutely, it's more than "acceptable" for you to pray the Holy Rosary, and while you're doing so, ask our Blessed Virgin to help heal the sad divisions in the Body of Christ, which is His Church. May all of us who claim Christ as our captain be one, and soon!

The rosary is simply a compendium of the gospel.When you pray it you are actually praying to God as all prayer is directed to Him.Mary is an intercessor in that she leads souls to Jesus Christ. and like all good mothers cares deeply for her children and their salvation.

Anyone can pray the rosary but as Blessed JP2 said it must be said with devotion,meditating on the mysteries and always keeping your mind on what you are saying,otherwise it becomes vain repitition.I cannot recall where the quote comes from but that is the gist of it.

[quote="odile53, post:7, topic:280786"]
Absolutely, it's more than "acceptable" for you to pray the Holy Rosary, and while you're doing so, ask our Blessed Virgin to help heal the sad divisions in the Body of Christ, which is His Church. May all of us who claim Christ as our captain be one, and soon!

[/quote]

Well said. Anything that can bring us all closer together in Christ's love is always a good thing.

[quote="mkc1911, post:1, topic:280786"]
Hello everyone,

I am new to the forums and had a question. Wlecome:) I am sorry if it has been discussed before.

I am not Catholic, I am Episcopalian (though I am what is called "nosebleed Anglo-Catholic"),There is a way to stop that ailment:) and I often pray the Holy Rosary (though without the Luminous Mysteries or Fatima Prayer, as neither of those were present in the Rosary at the time of England's break with Rome), ask for intercession from the Blessed Virgin and the Saints, etc.

I just wanted to know the Catholic view on this - is it acceptable for a non-Catholic to do this, or is it offensive in some way? I don't think we have a patent on any prayer! Does the Blessed Virgin listen to non-Catholics (as I believe she does) and intercede on their behalves? When I was still on the other side of the fence...well on it perhaps ...I was contemplating Mary and she 'appeared' to me in a very special way in a 'dream' ...she leads everyone closer to Christ ,as we all should. Pray , Pray , Pray but do remember that the counting of the beads and repetition of the prayers is really just a tool to help you contemplate the Gospel message.

[/quote]

I pray that Mary will carry your petitions to the feet of our Lord Jesus and that she will enfold you her mantel.

Amen, Amen, Amen

I think it's wonderful that you pray the Rosary!

Here in England there are many Anglican churches that pray the Rosary. It is a great way to meditate on the key events in the lives of Jesus and Mary.

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forums and had a question. I am sorry if it has been discussed before.

I am not Catholic, I am Episcopalian (though I am what is called "nosebleed Anglo-Catholic"), and I often pray the Holy Rosary (though without the Luminous Mysteries or Fatima Prayer, as neither of those were present in the Rosary at the time of England's break with Rome), ask for intercession from the Blessed Virgin and the Saints, etc.

I just wanted to know the Catholic view on this - is it acceptable for a non-Catholic to do this, or is it offensive in some way? Does the Blessed Virgin listen to non-Catholics (as I believe she does) and intercede on their behalves?

[/quote]

Our Lady appeared before St. Bernadette and called for ALL Christians to pray the Rosary.:signofcross:

I’ve never heard the expression ‘nosebleed’ attached to ‘Anglo-Catholic’ before. What does it mean when you say ‘nosebleed’?

[quote="LilyM, post:14, topic:280786"]
I've never heard the expression 'nosebleed' attached to 'Anglo-Catholic' before. What does it mean when you say 'nosebleed'?

[/quote]

I would bet it means that the person is so "high church" the altitude provokes a nose-bleed! So likely prefers highly liturgical worship :thumbsup:

[quote="bearer, post:6, topic:280786"]
Although praying the Rosary isn't exactly common among Protestants, you are certainly not alone. There are even some non-mainline Protestants who do so. It's a powerful prayer and will change your life, Catholic or not.

[/quote]

I was surprised when I found out that this is not an uncommon secret of Protestants. Obviously not a widespread practice, but to the OP...you are certainly not alone.

Mary's only desire is to bring us closer to her Son. I don't know any Catholic in the world who would be offended at the prospect of you being drawn closer to Jesus. Furthermore, the rosary is nothing more than a tool we use to help us in contemplative prayer of the Gospel. It would be contrary to our call to evangelize to tell anyone that they were not allowed to reflectively pray the Gospel.

As another poster pointed out, the rosary is not some secret thing that is only available to those of us who know the "secret handshake" (there isn't one).

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

And here I was thinking it might mean something awful like you got a bloody nose from fighting with all the broad-church and low-church Anglicans :slapfight: :stuck_out_tongue:

Thank you all for your responses.

Yes, "nosebleed Anglo-Catholic" does refer to those of us in the Anglican Communion who are very, very high church. Though my current parish is not Anglo-Catholic, I still consider myself so. I have considered conversion to the Catholic Church seriously before, and may possibly convert at some point in the future, but at the moment I'm content where I am.

Hello everyone,

[/quote]

mkc,

Many Anglicans pray the Rosary. You don't need Rome's permission. ;) However, it is one point of unity, which is a good thing. :)

A few thoughts of my own on the subject,

*Let me know what you think

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.