Is it acceptable to read the Bible on a smartphone?

I’m going to be honest, lately I haven’t been reading the Bible every night as I should.

I used to read the “Living Faith” nightly devoutions with my family, but they are very short devoutions and include references to the Bible passsages that I should be reading.

I think that a physical book format is hindering me from reading. For example I feel much more comfortable reading the Bible on a smartphone in public.

The backlit screen of a smartphone helps me read faster–a lot faster. Also, the print is bigger and adjustable.

I think for young people, reading the Bible is a great way to cope with loneliness and boredom. It’s so much better than watching junk on Youtube or 9Gag to kill time.

What a better way to read God’s word on a screen that is more accessible to the reader.

Any thoughts?

Why wouldn’t it be acceptable? Why would reading the Bible on your phone be wrong at all? :thinking:

Not sure why you’re concerned about this, but no, it’s not wrong at all.

I happen to prefer a physical book when I read, but I know lots of people use an app and they do their marking and highlighting of verses that way.

What leads you to believe that reading ebook Bibles is wrong?

You are reading the ‘Word.’ What can be wrong with that? A good use of your smartphone. Wish I had one. You can also get LOTHs.

Of course it’s OK to read it on a smartphone. Or a tablet. Or a computer . . .

If reading the Bible on a smartphone wasn’t allowed, then I would be reading it very rarely, since I almost always use the “Ignatius Study Bible” on my iPhone.

In short, yes it is acceptable to read the Bible on your smartphone.

Thank you for your reply!

The Bible is to be read with reverance. It is not a novel or a history book. That’s why I asked the question.

I guess it’s OK to use a smartphone, so long as you are not surrounded by interruptions.

Thank you, everyone for your replies! :slight_smile:

There’s no need for this disclaimer. It’s perfectly acceptable, and laudable, to read the Bible any time, any place. Interruptions are a part of life.

If someone wants to try and read a few verses or a chapter while on the subway, or surrounded by their kids, or while eating Subway before going back to work, that’s perfectly ok.

There is no rule that you must only sit down and read when you have no distractions or interruptions. Sure, that’s the best way to get the most out of reading Scripture.

But if someone who is busy spends their free time reading a little of the Bible instead of surfing the net or watching YouTube videos, then they are doing a great thing!

It is okay to read the Bible on a crowded city bus or in an airport terminal or in the stands at a football match. In fact, we should read the Bible often.

Yes it’s acceptable.
I have a red letter bible in pdf form because I like to read the words of Jesus to start my day

I spoke to a 70+ year old priest today reading the Breviary off his phone. I don’t necessarily see anything wrong with it though I prefer the absolute reliability of a tangible hard copy in black and white. He noted he could bring it with him everywhere.

A priest I know prays his office on his iPhone, in Latin, every day.
Years ago I was at a dinner and the then vicar General was showing the archbishop how to use his new iPhone. I mentioned that this particular priest prays his office on the phone. His Grace replied “Father X is a modernist.” It was a joke of course.

About 500 years ago, people were probably wondering if it was okay to read bibles which were beginning to be mass-produced by the latest technology, which at the time was the printing press. Up to that point, bibles had been produced by handwriting. What an irreverence a machine-printed bible must have seemed!

If it was not OK to read Scripture on electronic devices, then the Vatican and the USCCB would not put it online to be pulled up by anybody with web access.

It’s absolutely acceptable. A dear friend of mine is a Benedictine Monk. He has a FB page and runs a blog for our Oblate community. He told me that we are to use whatever the technology of the day is to spread God’s Word.

Who knows, maybe Gutenberg asked the same question as you did. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Verbum has a phone app that allows you to read your entire library on your phone.

As soon as people could print things, they were printing Bibles. Similarly, for all the jokes about the Internet being made for other and worse things, there were always Bibles around on it - on the old BBSes, on the old university systems, on the very first Internet servers.

I don’t see how it’s not acceptable. I read it on my iPad. I find it has many advantages.

I can tap on a passage to see additional commentary, cited material and footnotes. I don’t read the Bible in chronological order so having a search feature is handy. I can also save notes or make bookmarks.

I also just find it easier to hold when lying bed with the option to change my lighting or text size based on my preference. I don’t need a nightlight when my wife falls asleep.

If I didn’t have it on my iPad, I think I would rarely read Bible.

As long as your reading the Bible - that’s the key !

I’m surprised there aren’t more miracles and saints today -
The Bible is so readily available now -

Imagine how it was - for 1,000’s of years -
Relying on the Priest - (the average person)

Then the Guetenburg press !

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.