Is it alright for a Catholic (or any Christian really) to read the Koran?

I'm a fairly devoted Catholic. I have several friends of differing faiths and have always had an interest in learning about other religions. Recently I found a copy of the Koran and began reading it, but I've been a bit hesitant in continuing due to doubts.

While parts of the Koran have been confronting, for the most part it's been inspiring to read - particularly passages which speak of God's majesty and glory. Reading it has also encouraged me to read the Bible more, to understand how the texts relate to one another and to form a greater appreciation and respect for the importance that the Koran holds for many people.

Reading the Koran hasn't posed any threat to my faith, but even so - is it advisable for me to continue reading?

I'm not Catholic, just a mere Christian, but if you are secure in your faith, what's the harm?

a. You could learn something
b. Opposing viewpoints have a wonderful habit of informing our own feelings and beliefs
c. You always have the option to put it down when you start to feel uncomfortable

I sometimes think we have this unconscious tendency to treat religious texts like magic wands.

If God be with us what can stand against us?

Yes, it is permissible to read the Koran for purposes of study. I remember Father Mitch saying that he read it, including some of it in the original Arabic.

With a better understanding of Islam, you may even become a better evangelizer to Muslims.

If you are feeding at another's table, have you yet fed properly at your own table. Have you read the psalms, have you read the New Testament and the epistles properly. Why not say the Divine office each day...eating at another's table instead of going in search of an appreciating all the beauty and goodness of your own Catholic family...does run the risk of gradual disloyalty to your own family. Have you explored and found the richness of writing and of worship in your own faith? Even the words of the Catechism of the Catholic Church have great beauty and honor. Have you ever read the Catechism of the Catholic Church?
Have you read John's gospel, including the first chapter....

[quote="Trishie, post:5, topic:266133"]
If you are feeding at another's table, have you yet fed properly at your own table. Have you read the psalms, have you read the New Testament and the epistles properly. Why not say the Divine office each day...eating at another's table instead of going in search of an appreciating all the beauty and goodness of your own Catholic family...does run the risk of gradual disloyalty to your own family. Have you explored and found the richness of writing and of worship in your own faith? Even the words of the Catechism of the Catholic Church have great beauty and honor. Have you ever read the Catechism of the Catholic Church?

[/quote]

THIS times a gagillionthousand million. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

[quote="sparrowhawk28, post:1, topic:266133"]
I'm a fairly devoted Catholic. I have several friends of differing faiths and have always had an interest in learning about other religions. Recently I found a copy of the Koran and began reading it, but I've been a bit hesitant in continuing due to doubts.

While parts of the Koran have been confronting, for the most part it's been inspiring to read - particularly passages which speak of God's majesty and glory. Reading it has also encouraged me to read the Bible more, to understand how the texts relate to one another and to form a greater appreciation and respect for the importance that the Koran holds for many people.

Reading the Koran hasn't posed any threat to my faith, but even so - is it advisable for me to continue reading?

[/quote]

Hi sparrowhawk, I side with those who say it is allright to read the Koran...the Muslem faith is close to our hearts,...we are all sons of Abraham. The only caution I would suggest if for newer catholics who are not grounded in catholic teaching (catechism) and scripture studies...otherwise it is not only good it is imperative that we - as Catholics - read the Koran and learn from our Moslem brothers and sisters from their perspective how great is our God...

Bruce Ferguson

[quote="FidesSpesCarita, post:6, topic:266133"]
THIS times a gagillionthousand million. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

[/quote]

GAGILLIONTHOUSANDMILLION....you heard it here first folks...on Catholic Answers...:)

Cheerz

Bruce Ferguson

Well Conor7 I am Catholic and I could have not put it any better than you…well said!

Bruce Ferguson

[quote="Trishie, post:5, topic:266133"]

[/quote]

I agree with you are going on this one Trishie...I support fully the study of other religions to see how they relate to ours....however, unless we are grounded in our own ...like in the manners you speak above, we can pretty easily get confused and trip around for a bit...and while trippiing is sometimes fun...it should not be a career...well said on this one Trishie.

Bruce

[quote="trickster, post:8, topic:266133"]
GAGILLIONTHOUSANDMILLION....you heard it here first folks...on Catholic Answers...:)

Cheerz

Bruce Ferguson

[/quote]

Hey, sometimes normal numbers just aren't enough. :thumbsup:

Thanks, Bruce! Agreed We need to know what we have. Often it is the case that Christianity hasn't been tried in all its richness before it is marginalized, to any extent :)...
and aside from the beautiful praise of the Liturgy of the Hours offered throughout the day, (and I know from experience how awesome that is), you may also find peace and joy in listening with participation to CD's of hymns of praise and of Gregorian chant...

Bruce I pm’d you but your Messages quota is full. A reply to your last PM
Apologies to the OP, but PM or online is the only way of contacting the Trickster!

I think it's alright to read the Koran....if you've already set your faith without doubts and have read the Bible in it's entirety.

MJ

I don't think you should read the Qur'ān unless you are a seasoned apologist who is very knowedgeable about the Christian faith. Even then, you should only be reading it if you are going to refute it or bring Muslims to the Christian faith.

The god of the Qur'ān is not the Holy Trinity. The Qur'ān specifically says "He [Allah] begetteth not, nor is he begotten" (Qur'ān 112:3). This is a direct contradiction of the Incarnation of Our Lord Jesus Christ. The god of Islam was an Arabian moon god idol worshipped alongside other idols in the Ka'ba in Mecca (the most holy shrine of Islam) Why is the crescent moon the emblem of Islam? Think about it.

The Qur'ān is an evil book, full of verses calling for war against unbelievers. To see the real Islam, I recommend Prophet of Doom by Craig Winn. Islam is the sworn enemy of Christ and Christianity, and we should not let political correctness or religious tolerance cloud our judgement. Their goal is to Islamise the world and make us all live under Shari'ah law.

If its for gaining knowledge then there shouldn't be a problem.... You will see some similarities, and then some false teachings in between. Just remember who is your God, be strong, never doubt anything

That's the secrete in learning about other religions :)

God bless you

I decided I wanted to read the Holy Qur'an after attending a weekly study of "Abraham Journey of the Heart" by Bruce Feiler. It was a wonderful study of the role of Abraham plays in all three faiths that claim him as their "spiritual father".

We had a woman and her husband give a presentation on the Qur'an for our last session.....they had become friends with a couple Muslim families in their neighborhood.....the woman had become close friends with some Muslim women who were fearful and reluctant to discuss matters of faith to a "blonde Christian woman".

I decided I needed to approach the Qur'an with openess and respect. I found a nice "leatherette" bound version....one side Arabic...the other side English....each morning I would read a Surah or a portion of one.....in the presentation presented, I decided to treat the Qur'an with the respect it was due as a holy book of devout believers in the Almighty...different than I...but devout just the same.

In the presentation she stated the Qur'an should not be place upon the floor among other books...it should be held with clean hands and a prayerful attitude.....I meditated upon the passages...which many were difficult to understand and the cadence of the English was difficult at times.

I had purchased "Heart of the Koran" by Lex Hixon years ago....and pulled it off the shelf as an "aide" and "guide" to better understand what I was reading....

I enjoyed the time spent reading the Qur'an.

[quote="sparrowhawk28, post:1, topic:266133"]

[/quote]

I think it depends on the individual. If they are trying to "learn" something, as in seeking and are young and impressionable, I would say they should not read it. If you have your convictions in place, then read it to understand or compare.

So, I would say age and the ability to separate any message is the answer. It would be like taking a course in the classics, and if you had to read Ovid's "Art of Love" for it's value in ancient poetry and literature. Would you be studying or seeking out the book for incitement?

I think it's okay to read the Koran -- for some people. I would not give it to a teen, for example.

Thanks everyone for your replies, they’re all much appreciated.

Trishie, your words resonated with me a bit. My knowledge of the Bible has deepened considerably in the last couple of years. I’ve done a few in-depth Scripture courses, and have read parts of the Bible in my own time. And reading the Koran actually encouraged me to read the Bible more too, to look for similarities and differences between the texts and to discover the true beauty present within Christianity and within elements of Muslim belief. I’ve read parts of the Catechism also, so know a little there.
I actually think the knowledge I have of the Bible has made it easier for me to read the Koran and to understand what things mean. I think I’d be very lost without it.

I think it’s important to connect with people of other faiths, to accept the differences and to embrace the similarities.
God is growing to be the most important thing in my life. I will work to make sure my faith in Him does not waver.

May God bless each one of you. Thanks again :slight_smile:

[quote="Leegal, post:18, topic:266133"]
I think it depends on the individual. If you have your convictions in place, then read it to understand or compare.

[/quote]

I'm 20. I feel that I have my convictions in place, and am hoping to do this.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.