Is it alright for Christian's to own a gun for protection?

With the way the world is going–all the turmoil and terrorism, I sometimes feel as if I should purchase a gun to protect myself and my family. It seems there is more gang violence and chaos that we are facing each day. I would like to know if it’s God’s will that we protect ourselves or just let them come?
I think of the Jews in Germany during the time of Hitler who had not weapons and couldn’t defend themselves; consequently six million Jews died. Then I think of the time the Sanhedrin and soldiers approached Jesus at the Garden of Gethsemane and how he told his disciples to put down their weapons, then healed the ear of the opposing person whose ear had been severed by one of his disciples. I also think of the many wars the Israelites fought with God’s support; they used weapons.
I would appreciate feedback on this question.

The following link should help answer your question about gun ownership. If you have any further questions, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

Recommended Reading:

Does the Church allow guns for self-defense?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.