Is it alright to take a job in a remote area where there is no Mass?

I have been given a one-of-a-kind opportunity to kick off my career working in a remote part of Africa. The opportunity is truly my dream and I was immensely lucky to find it.

I will be there for six months, so not permanently. Must I turn it down because there is no Mass within reasonable distance? :frowning:

Speak to your priest. In general I’d say that you can accept the job. There haven’t. Always been Masses everywhere and people still travelled, moved for work, or went exploring. You may also be surprised to find that you can get to a Mass at least occasionally since there are many more Catholics in Africa thAn previously.

When you stop to think about your situation if you were to add a nearby Catholic Church you probably would be saying...Thank you God! With that in mind I am going to presume that through the years many people, including yourself, prayed for your success through school and life. Now, your prayers have been answered and you have been given a challenge. My guess is that you will have the opportunity to practice your faith just not in the usual way. You may have to put more effort into getting to Mass than ever before, but something you can manage for 6 months. I would talk it over with your priest, he may even have a thought for to that none of us would realize. Thank God for your blessings!

[quote="Mara333, post:1, topic:315179"]
Must I turn it down because there is no Mass within reasonable distance? :(

[/quote]

No. You are not obliged to turn down the job.

[quote="Mara333, post:1, topic:315179"]
I have been given a one-of-a-kind opportunity to kick off my career working in a remote part of Africa. The opportunity is truly my dream and I was immensely lucky to find it.

I will be there for six months, so not permanently. Must I turn it down because there is no Mass within reasonable distance? :(

[/quote]

Congratulations on this wonderful opportunity, a fulfillment of a dream!!! What a wonderful blessing and gift to you.

My son spent a semester in a program called Semester at Sea. There was no priest aboard the ship on which he travel. Stops in countries around the world did not always align with Sundays to attend Mass in each country.

He and I spoke with our bishop who explained to us that one can not keep an obligation when there is no Mass available. He suggested that my son attend Mass when available in the various countries, even if it was not on a Sunday.

Speak with your priest and/or bishop, ask for advice and a blessing for your work and travel.

May God bless you richly in this journey and all those whom you meet.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.