Is it always a sin to get sexual satisfaction? Was this a sin?

I want to know if it is always a sin to get sexual satisfaction outside marriage.
For example, I had a shower todat and I was already arroused because I had just woken up. I got to the point where I had to clean my genitals and, when I did, I got some sexual pleasure. I kind of knew that would happen but I had to clean them. Was it a mortal sin? No impure thoughts took place and I was singing the Gloria all the way.

I guess that answers the old riddle.
“98% of men masturbate in the shower. The other 2% sing a song. What song do they sing?”

Talk to your priest if you are worried about it, but if you really needed to clean down there and that was your purpose, and you stopped once you’d accomplished that purpose, I don’t think the fact that it also was sexually stimulating makes it sinful. If you continued to do whatever you were doing to clean it once it was already clean, then it was no longer cleaning.

Scruples kick in! I have no idea about what were my real intentions, I can’t remember if I stoped right there (but I think I stopped as soon as I felt it), my mind is a freaking mess right now. Should we lable this a doubtful sin?

btw, if you don’t complete the act, it’s not satisfaction, just stimulation. that gets into the near occasion of sin category.

[BIBLEDRB][/BIBLEDRB]

Thanks, I didn’t know that. You may wonder why I made nother thread. When I asked if it was the same if it was arousal or sexual pleasure, I got to impatient. That’s one of my bad sides, I can be too impatient. If I need to unsuscribe or delete one, if it were possible (idk if it is) I will.

Dude, just read the Catechism.

2352 By masturbation is to be understood the deliberate stimulation of the genital organs in order to derive sexual pleasure. "Both the Magisterium of the Church, in the course of a constant tradition, and the moral sense of the faithful have been in no doubt and have firmly maintained that masturbation is an intrinsically and gravely disordered action."138 “The deliberate use of the sexual faculty, for whatever reason, outside of marriage is essentially contrary to its purpose.” For here sexual pleasure is sought outside of “the sexual relationship which is demanded by the moral order and in which the total meaning of mutual self-giving and human procreation in the context of true love is achieved.”

If you did it in order to derive sexual pleasure, it was sinful.

To answer your other question, no, it’s not always a sin to get sexual satisfaction, else marriage wouldn’t be a sacrament.

to me it sounds like while you were cleaning your body, you body was aroused by this action. If you moved on and continued showing you did nothing wrong. If you continued to arouse yourself than you my have sinned.

Man gets aroused by things, it is a part of who we are in are fallen state yes but it is also natural to feel sexually attracted and sometimes aroused by others or things. It is how we react to those feelings in determining if something becomes sinful.

But a word of advice for the future. Ask these questions breifly in the confessional or schedule a meeting with the priest. A anonymous random person online shouldn’t be your source for these answers.

Sorry, when I read this, all I could think of was Van Morrison…:o G L O R I A

I think it will at most be a venial sin unless you delibrately continued stimulating yourself.

Anyway, for some unknown reason I am usually aroused whenever I wakeup,(thanks be to God I find the act of mastubating disgusting for some unknown reason). I think it might benefit you to wakeup early, do some house chores, by the time you are ready to take your bath you’ll have no reason to ask youself whether or not you are pleasuring yourself.

i believe it is testosterone level. i usually wake up from sexual dreams and to an erection. i wish masturbating were disgusting to me, i’m sure it is to our Lord.

I doubt it’s disgusting to God. He tells us not to do it, but that doesn’t mean he finds it disgusting. I hope that God, our Creator, doesn’t find our bodies and bodily functions disgusting.

Sinful and unwanted, yes. Absolutely. Disgusting, no.

well said.

It’s disgusting to the degree that it severs our relationship with God. There exists something infinitely more pleasurable than sex, and in faith and trust we must seek it with all our heart, all our soul, all our mind and with all our strength.

People who enjoy sexual pleasure do not know what they are missing!

LOVE! :heart:

i would qualify that with ‘people outside of marriage’.

My scruples are gone, now it seems like there was no sin in what happened. I found a a website a while ago where it displayed a list called Ten Commandments for Scrupulous. It says that this kind of confussing sins should not be confessed. If you want to take a look at it, here you go: mission.liguori.org/newsletters/scrupulosity.htm

that was beautiful, i’m so happy you found and shared it, thank you!

You’re welcome, I’m still unsure though.

if you’re unsure, don’t confess it!:wink:

Thanks for sharing this article - I’m bookmarking it for reference.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.