Is it an official doctrine that non-Catholics may receive the Eucharist on Divine Mercy Sunday?

I read this somewhere on the internet. If it is true, can I go to a Mass on Divine Mercy Sunday and receive the Eucharist and not worry about commiting a mortal sin?

From my understanding, it’s never acceptable for a non-Catholic to receive the Eucharist.

Can you post the article where you read this?

Your internet source is wrong. It is NOT okay for a non-Catholic to receive the Eucharist on Divine Mercy Sunday, or any other day of the year.

No , a non catholic may only receive the Eucharist under strict guidelines .

ewtn.com/expert/answers/intercommunion.htm

ewtn.com/devotionals/mercy/feast.htm

“The soul that will go to…receive Holy Communion shall obtain complete forgiveness of sins and punishment. On that day all the divine floodgates through which grace flow are opened…” (Diary of Saint Faustina, 699 AD.)

You’re being a bit selective and (please don’t take this the wrong way) inconsistent.

First, the plenary indulgence associated with receiving Holy Communion on Divine Mercy Sunday requires that you also go to Confession, and pray for the intentions of the Pope, and (I would expect) have detachment from all sin… those are the requirements for any plenary indulgence.

Second, if you believe what this all says – and especially if it were true that any non-Catholic could receive Holy Communion on one day of the year without it being a mortal sin – why wouldn’t you investigate the Catholic Church to consider coming into full communion with her, instead of taking advantage of some feast of hers once a year?

If you’re willing to give credence to Divine Mercy Sunday and the diary of St. Faustina, you should consider all that the Church proposes.

Shark, how about beginning your path back to the Church on Divine Mercy Sunday? That way, shortly there after, you’ll be able to receive the Blessed Sacrament daily if you want.

This is an indulgence. Indulgences are available to Catholics. St. Faustina is referring to Catholics.

You are misreading this article entirely.

Faustina’s diary notes and everything about her devotions have NO bearing on Catholic DOctrin.

Private revelation (such as devotion to divine mercy) has no trump or say in doctrine.

Besides Plenary indulgences are only possible to persons worthy of them. Worthyness is dependent on the person being a a Catholic in Good standing.

No. and it’s not even an allowed discipline, it is prohibited for a non-Catholic to receive except under very narrow guidelines with the Bishops permission.

thedivinemercy.org/library/faq/commonanswers.php?newsID=49

From the Marians of the Immaculate Conception (official promoters of the Divine Mercy Message and Devotion):

Most Common Questions and Answers

Q. I’m not Catholic. Can I receive graces on Divine Mercy Sunday?

A. Non-Catholics may participate in the celebration of Divine Mercy Sunday by making a Spiritual Communion, with great trust, since it is by the degree of trust that we receive graces. Although our Lord did not reveal to St. Faustina the extent to which the extraordinary graces of this feast day are available to non-Catholics, it is theologically certain that anyone who is seeking Him with a sincere heart will be richly blessed on that day: “No one who comes to Me shall every be hungry, no one who believes in Me shall ever thirst. No one who comes will I ever reject.” (Jn 6:35-37)

Not per se. It depends on what Church the person belongs to. Anyone from a Church that has preserved Apostolic Succession and has the Sacraments may receive communion in a Catholic Church. In other, words, Oriental and Eastern Orthodox may receive communion without a problem (although they are highly unlikely to do so).

However, none of the Protestant Ecclesial Communities have preserved Apostolic Succession and they don’t have the Priesthood. No protestant may receive the Eucharist unless it is a very grave circumstance.
In Christ,
Pakesh

This is what Pope Benedict XVI wrote in Sacaramentum Caritatis regarding this issue:

In this regard, I would like to call attention to a pastoral problem frequently encountered nowadays. I am referring to the fact that on certain occasions – for example, wedding Masses, funerals and the like – in addition to practicing Catholics there may be others present who have long since ceased to attend Mass or are living in a situation which does not permit them to receive the sacraments. At other times members of other Christian confessions and even other religions may be present. Similar situations can occur in churches that are frequently visited, especially in tourist areas. In these cases, there is a need to find a brief and clear way to remind those present of the meaning of sacramental communion and the conditions required for its reception. Wherever circumstances make it impossible to ensure that the meaning of the Eucharist is duly appreciated, the appropriateness of replacing the celebration of the Mass with a celebration of the word of God should be considered. (153)

And again, quoting the same document, he notes that:

Participation by Christians who are not Catholic

1. The subject of participation in the Eucharist inevitably raises the question of Christians belonging to Churches or Ecclesial Communities not in full communion with the Catholic Church. In this regard, it must be said that the intrinsic link between the Eucharist and the Church’s unity inspires us to long for the day when we will be able to celebrate the Holy Eucharist together with all believers in Christ, and in this way to express visibly the fullness of unity that Christ willed for his disciples (cf. Jn 17:21). On the other hand, the respect we owe to the sacrament of Christ’s Body and Blood prevents us from making it a mere “means” to be used indiscriminately in order to attain that unity. (172) The Eucharist in fact not only manifests our personal communion with Jesus Christ, but also implies full communio with the Church. This is the reason why, sadly albeit not without hope, we ask Christians who are not Catholic to understand and respect our conviction, which is grounded in the Bible and Tradition. We hold that eucharistic communion and ecclesial communion are so linked as to make it generally impossible for non-Catholic Christians to receive the former without enjoying the latter. There would be even less sense in actually concelebrating with ministers of Churches or ecclesial communities not in full communion with the Catholic Church. Yet it remains true that, for the sake of their eternal salvation, individual non-Catholic Christians can be admitted to the Eucharist, the sacrament of Reconciliation and the Anointing of the Sick. But this is possible only in specific, exceptional situations and requires that certain precisely defined conditions be met (173). These are clearly indicated in the Catechism of the Catholic Church (174) and in its Compendium (175). Everyone is obliged to observe these norms faithfully.

I hope this helps.

The private revelation to St. Faustina was about a special grace Jesus would make available on the Feast of Divine Mercy, but this wasn’t an indulgence of the church requiring prayers for the pope and complete detachment from sin. Since then, I believe the church made a plenary indulgence available on that day subject to the usual conditions.

I’m not disputing anything you have said about non-Catholics receiving communion, just noting that the promise associated with the private revelation wasn’t a church indulgence.

I have never heard this anywhere from anyone. May I ask where you heard this?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.