Is it bad to complain?

I thought it’s because it comforts, it’s like crying and like getting a psychotherapy. What if you have a reasonable point? Some internet Christian people seems to be against it. I thought it’s good to comfort a complaining person, even if you’re against him, you can explain why he’s wrong, in a gentle way if you’re a Christian.

If complaining is like protesting; Didn’t some Protestants protest? Didn’t some Catholics protest? Didn’t some right-wing Pagans protest? Doesn’t the courts of justice is there for complaints against a crime?

Psalm 145:19
He supplies the needs of those who honor him; he hears their cries and saves them.

Are cries is like complaining? If it is; This shows that God has care for complains.

I know some complaining are overbearing or unreasonable, but not all complaints are like these.

I think that in some cases it is bad. Jesus didn’t complain when he was being beaten and had to carry the Cross…I’m sure whatever it is that you or whoever is complaining about isn’t near as bad as that! Just a thought. :slight_smile:

With that example no one on earth should ever say anything that might be construed as a complaint.

Even if you are in the most pain you have ever been in, you shouldn’t mention it. I mean, it isn’t as bad as being beaten and dying on the Cross, right?

I know that some protestants believe that once something passes your lips it enters a spiritual realm, so to complain about something like a health issue is a direct showing of mistrust in God, and cementing the situation.

I have heard them pray things like this-Thank you God for delivering healing to my _____(name of ailment.) This is a sign of faith for them.

I think asserting yourself in benign situations is fine. To complain so much that you suck the joy out of those around you it is not. It’s always better to focus on positive things, and the second type puts focus on the negative.

:amen::thumbsup:

No, I wasn’t referring to pain. We are human and it’s only natural that we respond to pain like that.

I forgot to mention that the prayer is done sometimes at diagnosis, and before healing takes place.

This is a nice thought.

I think there’s a point where complaining can take over a persons being and so if someone is always complaining, they may have trouble experiencing the joys that are available to them . And also may be stealing the joy that can be available to others. Complaining is not bad as long as it’s within reason then.

How can a person know to help another person if someone never complains? We are all in this together…:wink:

James 5:9
Don’t grumble against one another, brothers and sisters, or you will be judged. The Judge is standing at the door!*

Jude 1:15-16
to judge everyone, and to convict all of them of all the ungodly acts they have committed in their ungodliness, and of all the defiant words ungodly sinners have spoken against him. These people are grumblers and faultfinders; they follow their own evil desires; they boast about themselves and flatter others for their own advantage.

I found these verses. Grumbling is complaining quietly. It’s hard to accept. But I wish those who complain isn’t judged by others though it’s disliked in the Bible.

Exactly.

I am dealing with some health problems that are very draining. Last night, in bed, I said to my husband, “I have really had it. I just wish we could figure out how to stop this.”
Pause
“Sorry, to whine.”

And he answered, “That is what I am here for.”

And you know what? He is right.

No, I don’t walk around with a sad, pained face. But if my husband or family didn’t know that I felt awful, how could they help me?

It is certainly bad **not **to complain about injustice because you become an accomplice!

I suppose the sin, if any, is not from the complaining itself, but from self-centeredness or self-absorption. If it is possible to complain while still loving God and one another, then I think it should be fine. If you know someone who wants or needs to know, or if it strengthens your bond of friendship, you should tell him/her what is bothering you. Likewise, if your spouse or friend doesn’t mind, your blowing off a little steam (“venting”) might help you to settle down and have a normal conversation.

For example, if my wife had a particularly bad day at work, she has to tell me about it, and then she can begin to put it behind her. I am glad to listen, both out of love for her and self-interest. I mean, if she keeps it bottled up, heaven help us both!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.