Is it cruel to think someone is in hell?

I always think most people who commit suicide end up in hell. Life is God’s greatest gifts. Then there is the argument about abortion. Some people say terminating a fetus is killing life. I am not sure if I see a woman has an abortion because she is not ready for a child the same way I see a person who commits suicide. I assume people should fight the urge to want to die. The same way about birth control - not being open to life. Who is going to be able to raise 6-8 children in today’s society realistically?

I think about different sins. Sometimes I do think the judgmental are the worst. They are playing God. I do not getting drunk or sleeping away are holy acts, but they are more normal, at least people in this playing field have not lost sight of their sins or their smallest in comparison to the universe.

Some weaknesses irritate me the most - wannabes (be yourself), whining, oversensitivity, lack of confidence, cannot handle the truth, envy/jealousy, immaturity, rationalization (if you want to be BAD, then BE BAD, stop trying to convince yourself and everyone else you are GOOD), naivety,

I think it is comforting in a way to realize that God’s Justice is as perfect as his Mercy. Therefore it may be comforting to think hell might be populated by evil.

What the heck good does it do to waste time thinking about who might be in hell, and condemning others for their sins and weaknesses? Or grading which sins are worse than others?

Does it help you any? Does it make you a better person? Does it make the world better? I’d say no to all. Is it cruel? I don’t know about cruel, but words like “unmerciful,” “immature,” “counterproductive,” “arrogant,” and “unchristian” spring to mind. Before you trash others, perhaps you could, for example, say a prayer for them, or use their weaknesses to better yourself?

Christian charity requires that we assume the best in others. Cruel? Not really, but it is lacking in charity.

It doesn’t appear that you understand what the Church teaches about suicide and any mitigating circumstances. This also applies to abortion and other grave matter.

Also, I don’t know what the third paragraph has to to with your question in the subject line. But they also show a lack of Christian charity or mercy.

You might benefit from meditating on the the words Jesus spoke to St. Faustina:

My daughter, if I demand through you that people revere My mercy, you should be the first to distinguish yourself by this confidence in My mercy. I demand from you deeds of mercy, which are to arise out of love for Me. You are to show mercy to your neighbors always and everywhere. You must not shrink from this or try to excuse or absolve yourself from it (Diary, 742).

I am giving you three ways of exercising mercy toward your neighbor: the first by deed, the second by word, the third by prayer. In these three degrees is contained the fullness of mercy, and it is an unquestionable proof of love for Me. By this means a soul glorifies and pays reverence to My mercy (Diary, 742).

Only God knows the state of anybody’s soul and therefore we cannot judge who is going to hell and who isn’t. This is the true meaning of non-judgement; we can judge actions as objectively wrong but we cannot say for sure that anybody is going to hell. All we can do is hope in and pray and sacrifice for the salvation of every soul. You’re right that sins are offensive, but Jesus died for the people who crucified Him just like He died for you.

I don’t think we should assume anyone is in hell. It’s enough to make sure we stay out of hell and purgatory ourselves. Personally, I consider it uncharitable to assume anyone is in hell. I do not know what the dying moments of anyone’s life were like. If they sinned, perhaps they repented.

I don’t think it’s cruel to use cardinal prudence to determine that a particular person’s prospects are doubtful. I think that Hitler is in hell as I am writing this. I think that human traffickers are in hell as I am writing this. The apostles, the popes & the saints throughout history did the same thing, and others greatly benefited from their austerity.

I wouldn’t personally put suicide at the top of the list though.

I’ts not in conformity with Catholic teaching to assume those who suicide go to hell

Catechism of the Catholic Church:
2281 Suicide contradicts the natural inclination of the human being to preserve and perpetuate his life. It is gravely contrary to the just love of self. It likewise offends love of neighbor because it unjustly breaks the ties of solidarity with family, nation, and other human societies to which we continue to have obligations. Suicide is contrary to love for the living God.

2282 If suicide is committed with the intention of setting an example, especially to the young, it also takes on the gravity of scandal. Voluntary co-operation in suicide is contrary to the moral law.

**Grave psychological disturbances, anguish, or grave fear of hardship, suffering, or torture can diminish the responsibility of the one committing suicide.

2283 We should not despair of the eternal salvation of persons who have taken their own lives. By ways known to him alone, God can provide the opportunity for salutary repentance. The Church prays for persons who have taken their own lives. **
vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p3s2c2a5.htm

Best wishes, and God bless you,

Pauline

:thumbsup:

CRATUS…a prayer for us all

God grant us to have the recognition of our our weaknesses especially those we dislike in other people but don’t recognize in ourselves, like being judgmental of others’ weaknesses.

God grant us to see our own faults clearly and be tolerant, and even compassionate, about the weaknesses of others. We don’t know what pressures formed them, what stresses act upon them, what kind of upbringing

…but one thing is certain…we no doubt annoy others in some ways, we no doubt have faults they wish we didn’t have! …

…and all of us may fail to be completely good, but we have to understand that we do try, so that if we fail, that doesn’t mean we’re bad, and we certainly shouldn’t just proclaim ourselves as bad, so that we can give up trying.

What God knows, is sometimes the best we can do is just keep trying, after each failure to be good. To categorize ourselves or others as bad, is to give up on ourselves or other people.

God bless you,
Pauline

I don’t think cruel is the right word. It’s just none of my business.

Probably not cruel unless you are wishing them to go to hell. However I find it odd that you can’t see the mitigating circumstances that would diminish culpability in a person who kills themselves, but you can see them in the case of a person kills a innocent child.

Cratus,
Do you know judgementalism is a sin?

Hey CRATUS. Nice to see you again. Look. There are a lot of things I want to say about this. But I mean I’ll try to just shorten it up.

Look. About the suicide bit. Hey go easy on those poor souls k? I think a person who wants to commit suicide is usually in a really tough spot. I mean sometimes they’re doing it because they don’t see any way out of their jam. Because life can hurt. That pain can burn. It can just eat away at all the happiness that once was. And just replace it with darkness. So I mean those guys are usually already bleeding. They’re some of the most vulnerable. They’re some of the lost sheep that I’m thinking Jesus would be leaping over rocks and bushes to track down. I don’t think God’s standing there saying, “Ha, you thought your life was pain before? I’ll show you pain!” No. Because God’s understanding them from the inside out. He knows what it’s like to die for sins. He knows what it’s like to carry heavy burdens. To get nailed up for that. And He knows that sometimes these people just need more love not less. So that’s my hope anyway. That’s my real honest hope.

As for abortions. Look. A lot of women want to believe they’re not really killing their child. But if they know they are. And they do it anyway. And they never repent of it. Then yeah. I’m thinking their hell will be to meet that kid. To see what their life could have been like. To feel the love they could have had. I don’t know.

Now for the judging stuff. I think there’s a big difference between judging and condemning. I mean I think we sort of have to judge things. Or else we’ll just end up doing whatever everyone else’s doing. But condemning? No. I’m with you on that. It’s not our right to decide how bad is bad. Or how good we are compared to someone else. That’s the wrong path for sure.

But as for the things that bother you. The traits that sort of run against your grain. Are these things you’re trying to overcome? Problems that you have seen in yourself? Because they can’t really be things you see in other people can they? Because if so aren’t you condemning other people only a paragraph after saying that’s the worst thing ever to do? I don’t know. Maybe I’m not reading it right. I mean I know you. I know you’re frustrated sometimes with the missing goodness in the world around you. You’re trying to figure out the right way forward in a lot of these things. You’re pushing ahead in spite of the fog there. And I think you’re making progress in that. You’re moving towards the center. But what I don’t see in you is a person who’d condemn someone else. So if maybe that was just a thought that went too far. Maybe a thought that went the wrong way forwards. Well then maybe we’ll just drop that. Strike it from the record. I don’t know. You tell me if I’m listing off to the side on that.

Peace CRATUS.

Your pal,

Trident

Before I answer, does this person like movies by Uwe Boll?

I got so much work to do with my own soul; I rarely have time to contemplate the status of others. The old “judge not, least ye be judged” statement.

Someone in hell cannot be redeemed and so you are wasting your time and emotion. If you are happy that someone might be there (and we’ve all probsbly thought that someone belonged there at one time or another) how about thinking of the poor souls in Purgatory? I can’t think of anythin g better than championing the cause of the Poor Souls!

We need to be very careful with what judgementalism means, because this is a word that can and has been maliciously hijacked by libertines in order to allow things that shouldn’t be allowed.

1. Abject stupidity is not a Christian virtue. If something quacks like a duck, walks like a duck, and looks like a duck, then we are permitted to use our faculties of reason to determine that it is a duck. St Paul tells us all to be “judges” in the discernment good or evil actions.

2. We are allowed to judge an evil deed for what it is. We don’t have to - and in some circumstances are obliged not to - turn a blind eye to evil when we see it. Christians are suppose to be very assertive agents in rooting out evil in the world.

What is judgementalism, is if we should be needless busybodies towards other people where there is no need, and 2) that we should become prideful or prejudice in our discernment of other people. The Pharisees invested so much energy in finding the flaws of others while blinded to their own evil. They “strained out a gnat while swallowing a camel”, and were quick to point out “the speck in their brother’s eye”, while clueless of “the plank in their own”.

But…why do you think that?

If God gave people free will…and if God himself can let people die from starvation or tsunamis or war…or murder…and tell one group of people to kill another…then why wouldn’t god allow people to die by their own hand and be fine with it?

Exactly. I myself would never feel comforted knowing anyone was in hell.
how bizarre.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.