Is it disrespectful to name a pet after a Saint or Venerable?

We are getting a new Golden Retriever puppy today and I'd love to call him Casey after Venerable Fr. Solanus Casey. Fr. Solanus is very dear to me, but I'd hate it to be considered disrespectful if I named my dog after him.

Your thoughts? Thank you!

Is he a good listener?..:slight_smile:

Fr. Solanus is! The dog? We have yet to determine that. :wink: :smiley:

I don't consider it disrespectful :) go for it!

How many dogs are there named Maggie, Sophie, Jake...of course a dog may be named after a human, even a saint.

I'm kind of relieved that all those kids Christened "Casey"--not after a saint such as St. Cassian, but because it is a cool name--have an obvious patron saint!

[quote="EasterJoy, post:5, topic:241416"]
How many dogs are there named Maggie, Sophie, Jake...of course a dog may be named after a human, even a saint.

I'm kind of relieved that all those kids Christened "Casey"--not after a saint such as St. Cassian, but because it is a cool name--have an obvious patron saint!

[/quote]

Actually, "Casey" is short for "Casimir" (Polish: Kazimierz), a saint who was a Polish-Lithuanian prince:

newadvent.org/cathen/03402a.htm

[quote="Norseman82, post:6, topic:241416"]
Actually, "Casey" is short for "Casimir" (Polish: Kazimierz), a saint who was a Polish-Lithuanian prince:

newadvent.org/cathen/03402a.htm

[/quote]

Thanks, Norseman. It isn't a form that shows up on every list of saint's names for babies, there are kids with the name who don't know they have a saint's name, so it's a nice bit of information.

I would say that if it was out of respect for the Saint, then it's fine. If it was a derogatory use, then that's bad. I like the idea that a pet's name can frequently remind one of a great saint. I kind of see it along the same lines as having a religious medal or a picture on the wall.

Thank you all. I really appreciate your answers.

Well, I got out-voted by the family. The kids and my husband wanted Cooper and I wanted Casey. His name is Cooper.

That's okay - when he chews and ruins something in the house, I won't feel guilty about yelling out Fr. Solanus Casey's name in anger (since it would have been him I named the dog after). Instead, I can feel guilt-free yelling Cooper. :D

Well, our old Parish priest, now sadly deceased, owned a succession of labradors, all with saint's names. I think naming your retriever after someone you repsect and admire is a lovely gesture - go for it!

don't forget cats named slyvester :D

Tee hee :smiley: I see nothing disrespectful about it! Dogs are such lovely creatures, naming them after a venerable or saint does not seem disrespectful or problematic at all to me. Not to mention, there are so many popular names that are Saints’ names, you would have a harder time finding one that wasn’t!

Unless, of course, you went with the stereotypical ‘spot’, ‘fifi’, or ‘rover’. I’m pretty sure there’s no Saint Rover. Please correct me if there is stifles a giggle

I used to keep pet rats, and I had one pair called Francis and Clare. I also used to have a priest who named his cats after religious figures, one was called Dom Gregory Dix.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.